Hardcore Metal Fans Get Your Ass In Here!!

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Love Sleep and Electric Wizard. Sleep was one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Their bass player Al is one of the main reasons I started playing bass.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Love Sleep and Electric Wizard. Sleep was one of the best bands I've ever seen live. Their bass player Al is one of the main reasons I started playing bass.
You also play bass? So do I! Good to see that! Do you play in a band?

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
You also play bass? So do I! Good to see that! Do you play in a band?

Nah, unfortunately no band for me at the moment. Just jamming for fun by myself and with some friends. Drummers are the hardest to come by around here. I'm supposed to be doing vocals in a black metal band but due to people's crazy schedules we haven't got much done yet. How about yourself?

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Nah, unfortunately no band for me at the moment. Just jamming for fun by myself and with some friends. Drummers are the hardest to come by around here. I'm supposed to be doing vocals in a black metal band but due to people's crazy schedules we haven't got much done yet. How about yourself?
I play in a band, we just got together so we need to write music. We did cover Asphyx - Deathhammer.
I play a 5 string Warwick myself. Also got a Warwick Streamer Stage 1 4-string bass on the side.
Drummers are indeed hard to find, I think it's worldwide.

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
I recently got into the new Battlecross album, "Rise to Power". I also wrote a review for it that can be found here if you you're interested.

One track that I totally fell in love with is called "Spoiled" that is just over 3 minutes of mind melting perfection. I love this track!

https://youtu.be/DdAKsBMHa_k

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
MmvCZ5E.jpg

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I saw Kylesa live a few years ago pretty awesome with the 2 drummer setup

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Iron Maiden is coming to Denver in April. Wanted to see them my entire life and I'm finally gonna get to.

super hyped.

Sabbath in Februaury, Nightwish/Delain in March, Maiden in April. 2016 is shaping up to be one hell of a concert year for me.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
New

Deafheaven: Come Back

Kylesa: Blood Moon

https://kylesasom.bandcamp.com/track/blood-moon

Mate, no... NO!

Seriously, this is fabricated shit. It "sounds" like intense metal, but it's hipster, cash-cow bullshit.

"DeafHeaven"??

Listen to who you want but honestly, that shit is fucked (true aussie takin' to ya mate). DH are imitators.

Listen to how it's truly played...

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Woods of Desolation are amazing - I like this style of BM. I knew Deafheaven would cause some drama haha. I guess they are not really metal, Kylesa are borderline too. I like all kinds of music. About Deafheaven, do you think they are mostly 'studio magic' then? I have never seen them live so I have no idea.

Unrelated - also been getting into Vreid lately:

They are kind of 'black n' roll' ish

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Mate, no... NO!

Seriously, this is fabricated shit. It "sounds" like intense metal, but it's hipster, cash-cow bullshit.

"DeafHeaven"??

Listen to who you want but honestly, that shit is fucked (true aussie takin' to ya mate). DH are imitators.

Listen to how it's truly played...

Is it fake black metal? Yes, but it's fake in the sense that the band is just exploiting BM aesthetics to make a different type of music. I don't know if I'd call it "fabricated cash-cow" shit.

It's music for people that listen to bands that are primarily on non-metal labels/scenes. It's for people that haven't/won't delve into the world of true BM. They probably like Converge and Isis and shoegaze and that type of stuff. Stuff that (based on the tastes you've historically shared) you probably see as no different than top 40 or nu-metal.

I don't care for the band, though I've been pondering their use of blacksploitation recently, and I think their (relative) level of success will only have a negative effect on the trends of "heavy" music.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Is it fake black metal? Yes, but it's fake in the sense that the band is just exploiting BM aesthetics to make a different type of music. I don't know if I'd call it "fabricated cash-cow" shit.

It's music for people that listen to bands that are primarily on non-metal labels/scenes. It's for people that haven't/won't delve into the world of true BM. They probably like Converge and Isis and shoegaze and that type of stuff. Stuff that (based on the tastes you've historically shared) you probably see as no different than top 40 or nu-metal.

I don't care for the band, though I've been pondering their use of blacksploitation recently, and I think their (relative) level of success will only have a negative effect on the trends of "heavy" music.

ASID, I respect your opinion, dude, but I will call it cash-cow shit; because that's what they're riding on - an aesthetic, style, "sound", to sell their records. Yes, it is fake. Fuck them.

I'm an elitist, especially when it comes to music, I always have been. So I'm sure you can understand when I say that a band like Deaf Heaven is the most poseuring of bands riding the trend of Black Metal. The problem isn't in the fan, it's the band thinking that what they're doing is acceptable. Having shitheads (sorry Neorebel) appreciate and buy their music only compounds their believe that what they're doing is right. It's not. It's a pathetic smear on a style that actually spits back on the face of imitation.

Black metal IS evil, it IS occult, it IS real. Again that's just how I feel about it and I make no excuses for how I appreciate and believe in it.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
No offense taken, I respect your opinion and share it in many ways. What I randomly post in this thread on a whim is hardly as deep as my musical taste in metal or otherwise goes.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Woods of Desolation are amazing - I like this style of BM. I knew Deafheaven would cause some drama haha. I guess they are not really metal, Kylesa are borderline too. I like all kinds of music. About Deafheaven, do you think they are mostly 'studio magic' then? I have never seen them live so I have no idea.

Unrelated - also been getting into Vreid lately:

They are kind of 'black n' roll' ish
I'm seeing Vreid with Keep of Kalessin in november.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
ASID, I respect your opinion, dude, but I will call it cash-cow shit; because that's what they're riding on - an aesthetic, style, "sound", to sell their records. Yes, it is fake. Fuck them.

I'm an elitist, especially when it comes to music, I always have been. So I'm sure you can understand when I say that a band like Deaf Heaven is the most poseuring of bands riding the trend of Black Metal. The problem isn't in the fan, it's the band thinking that what they're doing is acceptable. Having shitheads (sorry Neorebel) appreciate and buy their music only compounds their believe that what they're doing is right. It's not. It's a pathetic smear on a style that actually spits back on the face of imitation.

Black metal IS evil, it IS occult, it IS real. Again that's just how I feel about it and I make no excuses for how I appreciate and believe in it.

As far as my take on the cash cow term, an individual or band's disregard/bastardization of a sub genre's style/principals/heritage/cultural significance doesn't necessarily equate to a commercialization of.

Is it poseuring, technically yes. However, a band or musician could have a deep understanding of a sub genre's aesthetics, structure, inner workings and principals, yet still decide to disrespect these values by exploiting a sub genre's sound because of whatever selfish, indulgent artistic desires possessed. Does it spit in the face of true black metal? Yes. Should it be rejected by real (not fake) elitists that are educated and rooted in passion, absolutely.

Are Deaf Heaven, Cradle Of Filth and my one man black metal/doo-wop project (fictional) that no one will ever hear all exploiting and defeating the purpose of what black metal originally meant and should mean today? Yes. Where do all three band's incentives lie though?

Someone with a hardline stance may not care to examine this, or whether these groups have produced art, or simply manufactured a product for profit. It's all shit to them, and there's no incentive to discern beyond. Which is, fine/good. The preservation of a musical style is healthier with purists than without.

I'm just saying, though.

Last edited: