Hardcore Metal Fans Get Your Ass In Here!!

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sure, I hear that, among many other things too. But parts like 0:47 - 1:04 to me sound like the closest thing to a band doing something SOANM-esque. The riffing there, the drumming and especially the vocals.

Which is good or bad taste depending, but a rarity nonetheless!

I can certainly here it in the riffing during that timestamp, just under the surface. I’ve since shown a few friends this song and they’ve all been impressed, great find.

I think Ancient started getting a bad wrap after their absolutely bizarre clip for Lilleth’s Embrace, and then Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends was just bad. The fact they had the guy who played on GBK demos probably didn’t help their image in America.

I’ve always liked their early stuff, especially The Cainian Chronicle.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I can certainly here it in the riffing during that timestamp, just under the surface. I’ve since shown a few friends this song and they’ve all been impressed, great find.

Cool, thanks.

I think Ancient started getting a bad wrap after their absolutely bizarre clip for Lilleth’s Embrace, and then Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends was just bad. The fact they had the guy who played on GBK demos probably didn’t help their image in America.

I’ve always liked their early stuff, especially The Cainian Chronicle.

I liked that track. I'll have to listen to all of the cainian chronicle. Yeah I know that they turned into a joke on later releases.

So I bought the new (well 2019) Devourment album. Being a fan of VERY few newer death metal releases, I can't remember the last time I bought one.

They definitely laid down a blueprint for other bands to rip off throughout the past 21 years. Like, where do you go musically when that's the case? Well they kept doing what they do and it exceeded my expectations.

EDIT: and I can't remember the last time I bought anything on relapse, and they need to get their shit together when it comes to pressing/printing. The back insert of the CD lists both track two and track three as "3."

And those terrible obi strips they use that are too big to fit in jewel cases has pictures of several albums on the inside of it and they list the Mortician album as "Obituary".

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That Devourement album is good! Meat and Potatoes Death Metal, just the way I like it.

Been listening to this demo from Finland on repeat. Easily in my top 10 of 2020. Hopefully the next release is just as melancholic and atmospheric.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Came across Apophis only a few years ago. Going back through my music while working from home. Metal makes me work faster! Lol. Really good stuff! Probably not for everyone but I love it!

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Apophys was a death metal band from my country. It's sad they are no more. :(

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Very awesome... just stay far FAR away from the recent re-recordings they have done

I just haven't even checked that, just listen to they're stuff from beginning untill 2006, or when they did Come Clarity.
The stuff after that i just have not connected with.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I didn't even like Whoracle. I dug Colony, but that was the last album of theirs I liked. All downhill from there for me. Now here's a band I've loved since the beginning. Has changed some, but are still a good band with some nods to the first few albums.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I didn't even like Whoracle. I dug Colony, but that was the last album of theirs I liked. All downhill from there for me. Now here's a band I've loved since the beginning. Has changed some, but are still a good band with some nods to the first few albums.

I bought Colony when it was somewhat new. It's ok, but I still can't really get into melodic death metal.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
When I think Melodic Death Metal, I think At the Gates. Nothing else really compares, for me anyway....

Also

35A2ACD0-A950-41A3-9A08-E8B40C48BCE1.jpeg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I mean you could make a hundred different incarnations of that "meme" with other albums and genres (which actually seems like a fun thing to do come to think of it).

But, there are just as many metalcore bands (if not more) with no melodic death metal influence than there are bands with one.

Of course there are plenty of metalcore bands whose existence predates slaughter of the soul too.

I've talked about this before but "metalcore" is often viewed as an alien, trendy, homogenized and heritage-less style of music to fans of metal who have never really been aware (or interested in) metal and hardcore's relatively long history of intermingling.

The style can embody all of those traits listed above or none of them, band depending.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
I don't mind a little bit of melody sprinkled in with certain bands, but when it totally breaks up the song with melodic wankery I can't listen to it.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

Checked out that band, and it has some pretty good stuff. Had never heard of them, but will hear more in the coming future.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
100% agree with that meme about a lot of metalcore bands. 'Entombed-core" is usually the phrase but yeah its actually that exact ATG album they are using riffs from.

Colony from In Flames I thought was good, Clayman for me was also good but that's where they basically starting sneaking in what sounds like straight up pop songs. Their new new stuff is un-listenable

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
100% agree with that meme about a lot of metalcore bands. 'Entombed-core" is usually the phrase but yeah its actually that exact ATG album they are using riffs from.

Didn't you say you were going to disembodied shows at VFWs in the late 90's? For someone who seems to have been around the block, I'm surprised you agree "100%" with a meme oversimplified/over generalized/tailored for people who listen to metal and don't know much about metalcore. Whatever, though.

Also, I've heard this "entombedcore" thrown around before. Like, left hand path entombed? Wolverine Blues? I can't name a single band that falls under that label, despite hearing it thrown around.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Didn't you say you were going to disembodied shows at VFWs in the late 90's? For someone who seems to have been around the block, I'm surprised you agree "100%" with a meme oversimplified/over generalized/tailored for people who listen to metal and don't know much about metalcore. Whatever, though.

Also, I've heard this "entombedcore" thrown around before. Like, left hand path entombed? Wolverine Blues? I can't name a single band that falls under that label, despite hearing it thrown around.

Yup that was me. About the meme - I just like being snarky <shrugs>

Here is a band I think fits the category - I like the first 2 albums though

PS Don't misunderstand, I love "metalcore" "metallic hardcore" whatever you want to refer to it as. There's just been some trends here and there that are fun to mock a little bit, especially I think in the early 2010s. I agree with you there is def a long history of metal and HC intermingling, all the way back to "Crossover"

Last edited: