Has anybody ever finished The Super Spy on one credit?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
...because if not, I think I may be the first. :D (well, I know somebody in Japan must've done it at least)

yes, I know I'm pretty sick in the head to devote any time and effort to accomplishing something stupid like this. But I was working on a FAQ for it, and in the process I've learned a lot of things about it that most people probably aren't aware of... so it's made me surprisingly good at the game.

superspy1cc.png

A recording is available in .inp form for any fellow MAME whores.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Well for one thing, when you get to the higher levels you should avoid trying to fight entirely with regular punches/knees. Use the knife extensively, because it's much faster than the regular attacks. Plus if you try using punches, every third punch will be the "knockdown" punch that the enemies have a bad habit of countering with their own punch instantly. If you use the knife, every third stab knocks down anyways, and comes out faster so you won't take a hit unless you screw up the timing or are fighting one of the tougher guys. The only time to switch to regular hand attacks is for the "hook punch" technique.

When you press Up-Left + A or Up-Right + A, you do a hook punch that knocks the enemy down and pushes them back a little. When timed properly, you can follow this up with another hook right as they walk up to you, and then keep repeating it.

The problem with the hook punch though is that if you do it out of the blue, 99% of the time the enemy will instantly counter with their own punch on the higher levels. So the only way of landing it is to use it at just the right time when they're walking towards you. This is an invaluable technique against bosses and the other "big" enemies that sometimes show up in the levels. In the boss rooms there's less space though and you can only get about 5-7 hook punches until you reach the edge of the screen. The hook always knocks them to the left, so the best method is to knock them down (preferably with the pistol/machinegun if you have ammo), lead them all the way to the right side of the screen, and then start doing hook punches until you can't go any farther on the left. Then either shoot them again or try to knock them down with the knife, and repeat the process again...

You have to get good at stabbing or doing the hook punches since the damage on those attacks stays mostly consistent with the number of hits it takes to kill enemies, as long as you're building up enough experience. Pistol/machinegun shots do less and less damage to enemies as the game goes on, but those are still important for providing guaranteed knockdown attacks so the hook punches can be setup.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm a fan of this game as it was one of the first Neo games I played as a child, so that information is really appreciated and will hopefully help me out. I think I may need to plug my cart in a little later on tonight and give it a go.

Cheers, dude!

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
well,congrats bbh

i have always wanted to become pretty good with super spy,
but could never reach the end of level 2 with one coin

i was using the knife all the time,didn't know about the hook punch technique

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
insanity

can't you do nam75 in one credit too? thats balls hard

congratulations :buttrock:

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Thats dedication for you!!...
Respect man!!... i suck at this old gem :D

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i have no idea why people consider nam difficult?

because,well,it is not

sengoku 1 on the other hand...now,THAT is a difficult game :p

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Fran said:

because,well,it is not

fran

I found out recently

I'm shit at games.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
wow, good job there, BBH. I tried to become better at the game long ago, but after I bought Crossed Swords 2 on NGCD, I stopped playing Super Spy, apart from a few rounds here and there.

I quite like it tho, it's not a gameplay gem or something but I had big fun with it.

Most of the time, I stick to high/low games, that works to some extend but isn't really helpful in later levels.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Fran said:

because,well,it is not

Yes i agree...nam is progressive...playable.. completeable on one cred :)
Sengoku 1 on the other hand gives you a hard time RIGHT from the start!!! :(
But i still love it to peices... sengoku 3 nice and playable though :multi_co:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
kernow said:
fran

I found out recently

I'm shit at games.

i got raped at neowave recently so i suppose i'm shit myself

thinking about calling it quit,really

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
NEO GOLD said:
Yes i agree...nam is progressive...playable.. completeable on one cred :)
Sengoku 1 on the other hand gives you a hard time RIGHT from the start!!! :(
But i still love it to peices... sengoku 3 nice and playable though :multi_co:

here i am posting like a mad spammer in this thread.
sorry people

anyway nah sengoku 1 isn't even difficult,it's just a bad-programmed game imo

a few early snk games had TONS OF STYLE but the cpu was just too cheap / unfair

see also robo army and a couple others

you can't hit the enemies but they can hit you no matter what

that's lame,specially considering final fight came out in 89 and this stuff was coming out 2 years later

Last edited:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
NAM-1975 isn't impossible. Or at least, it's nowhere near as difficult as Super Spy, as a few people on this forum have done it. It's just a matter of figuring out the attack pattern of the last boss (well, assuming you can get there on one credit, anyway... which is doable with some practice)

The Super Spy is such a bitch though because it's soooo long (over an hour even when you know exactly where to go and which rooms to avoid), and in the later levels there are hardly any life-up rooms so you have to be extremely careful. And then of course there's that asshole first boss in the second building (6th Floor), the mad scientist that sprays you with poison at the beginning of the battle, and your life bar starts dwindling down. That's the fucking cheapest shit ever right there. Even if you spam the screen with machinegun shots the entire time to kill him, you'll lose 5 or 6 of the 8 life points on average. There is a life-up room on the 7th Floor, but that will only restore 4 points... and there's only one more life-up room on the 14th Floor. So you're allowed very few fuckups whatsoever for the rest of the game. It sucks.

Hopefully I'll get around to finishing my FAQ sometime soon, I made little maps of all the levels too... the game becomes a lot more manageable when you know where to go and which rooms have the coveted life-up/machinegun bullets. It's just that most people never really bothered to try to play the game for survival unless they were playing in the arcade, because on a home system... who cares? You get killed, you push Start and get a fresh knife and 12 new pistol bullets. Playing for score is pretty meaningless since those aren't saved unless you're playing on MVS, and the scoring system is pretty blah anyway, since you could get a higher a score by "leeching" a lot and killing weak enemies on the early floors instead of making progress in the game.

But yeah, if anyone has any questions about this silly game, feel free to ask ;)

Fran said:
anyway nah sengoku 1 isn't even difficult,it's just a bad-programmed game imo

a few early snk games had TONS OF STYLE but the cpu was just too cheap / unfair

see also robo army and a couple others

you can't hit the enemies but they can hit you no matter what

that's lame,specially considering final fight came out in 89 and this stuff was coming out 2 years later

I saw a Japanese recording of somebody finishing Sengoku 1 on one credit, it was insane... I never got past the 3rd stage I think. In watching it I noticed that the game was all just a matter of memorization, you have to be in the right place at the right time on most screens or you'll take hits... pretty lame.

Robo Army, now THAT I'd like to see a one-credit clear on, because it seems pretty impossible to me. But I never really cared for the game anyway.