Have you ever been in a natural disaster?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Just thinking about the Florida hurricanes.

We don't really have natural disasters here so I'm just wondering what it's like. Hurricane, earthquake, tidal wave, anyone found themselves stuck in the middle? Did you emerge unscathed?

Stories please.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I was in a mild flood several years ago, and only "natural" in the sense that a beaver dam caused it (lots of ponds and streams near my house). Had about 3-4 feet of water in my basement and a soggy yard, but, no serious loss or damage. Fookin' beavers! 🦫🦫🦫🦫🦫

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
Does global warming count ? Might be a Indian summer up here we still get 27 c degree weather in October

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Thankfully no but we did have a 5.8 quake late last year.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Just lots of close calls with Tornadoes.

I went to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina had happened to work down there. I could certainly share some stories.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Tampa hasn't had a direct hit from a hurricane in 100 years and I'm far enough inland to avoid storm surges and major wind damage. We did have some tornadoes close to us maybe 10 years ago. The sky turned green and local schools were locked down. We've had storms far worse than the outer edge of Ian or Irma in 2017 with lightning strikes every few seconds. Just stay inside and wait it out.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was in the Philippines during a minor flood while riding a motorcycle I rented. I had to cross a land bridge that had running water on it at the time while on the bike. Video of me doing it exists.

tomwaits

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
We had a massive ice storm in 2008. Trees and power poles down everywhere from the weight of the ice coatings. 12 days without power in mid/late December. I was burning fallen trees & branches in the fireplace to stay warm. Heating canned food along the edge of the fire.

Most roads were blocked for the first few days then the National Guard came through to clear the streets. Strange to have dozens of uniformed 'soldiers', jeeps, and personnel carriers on my rural street. Chatted with them and they were complaining that they had thousands of men and four chainsaws. They were just pushing trees to the sides of the street by hand or jeep. Every street, every town in the area.

I bought a generator in case it ever happens again...

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
When I was a kid my family and I had to live through Hurricane Gilbert. My dad worked at a bank in town at the time, and got permission from the president to bring us in to sleep there a couple of nights. I remember my dad being pretty scared. We were told we could only stay in the break room, but it was huge, probably the size of a small restaurant, so it wasn't like we were in a tiny room lol.

I also went through that 2020 Winterpocalypse in Texas. That was pretty fucked up.

@M

20 Year Member
I wonder how the world will handle the increased frequency/severity of storm-related natural disasters some scientists are predicting as a result of climate change, if that comes to pass and gets really bad? Too many in a short period of time would sorely stretch government and municipal resources.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
When you live in the Southern United States floods, hurricanes, tornados, heat waves with accompanying wildfires, and the occasional Mormans knocking at your door are the facts of life.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
No stories here. I've lived in Michigan and Kansas, both have tornadoes multiple times a year.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
No stories here. I've lived in Michigan and Kansas, both have tornadoes multiple times a year.
I've got a feeling you're not in Kansas anymore?

Reactions: Syn

@M

20 Year Member
Upper Michigan very seldom gets tornadoes, just terrible blizzards.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
No I haven't. A friend of mine was in Thailand in 2004 when the Tsunami struck. luckily they were way out to sea so they only felt a long continuous wave as it passed under them, when they came back to port everything was in pieces.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’ve lived in Michigan for all my life. Midland for the first half, Ann Arbor for the second half. No disasters ever. The worst thing I’ve ever experienced is a week without power in the winter. I’ve absolutely never had to call the insurance company to build me a new house right on top of the same doomed location as the previous house. That costal vacation house shit is nonsense.

A couple of years ago a flood wiped out the town of Sanford where I once worked. My old work location is still there but the town it serviced is pretty pointless now that the dam is gone. This was absolutely an unnatural disaster though, a neglected dam that was a ticking time bomb, honestly.

Verdict: Michigan is a good place to live.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Ida. I feel so bad for the people in FL. I know what it's like to lose everything you own and your home. Not knowing where friends and family are after the event is just as horrible. My soul hurts for these folks.

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
Hurricane season down here is from June - November. You start to become used people panicking and buying all the water and batteries etc. It’s one of the things that’s soured me one buying a house down here. It’s just one of those things that come along with living in a tropical climate. The endless amount of Hurricanes and hysteria it brings. 2 more months to go !!!