Have you ever bough an expensive game which turned out to be a conversion/boot?

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Have you ever bough an expensive game which turned out to be a conversion/boot?

And if so, where did you buy it and how has it effected you as a collector?
What are you doing to avoid it happening again?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Don't buy expensive games. This really only happens with the Neo. Stop buying Neo games.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Never happened with an expensive game, but I have MVS carts of KoF 2000, 2001 and Metal Slug 3 that are boots. Bought them and didn't check the boards, then the guy would not accept they were fake. Shame on him and stupid me. Now they're gonna stay with me because I can't sell them knowing they are boots.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Should we bring in the Aero Fighters 3 crowd to weigh in on this conversation?

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Don't buy expensive games. This really only happens with the Neo. Stop buying Neo games.

Nah they have started making LOTS of fakes for every system now. Rare NES titles like Snow bros, Panic restaurant, little samson and so on are popping up all over Ebay.
They are even selling kits to make your own fake games for NES and SEGA-CD:(

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Expensive to one is cheap to some.

For me, any game over $200 is expensive. I only have a couple games I'd pay over $200 for, and I don't think people would bother making a fake game that's in the $200-$300 range.

If I find a game on ebay, I always ask the seller if it's genuine and ask them to provide pics of the boards. I've been burned a few times, thankfully nothing expensive.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah i bought a puzzle bobble and thought it was legit till i looked at the boards a few years later and found other than pb roms on the board and al the pb chips where eproms.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Homecarts? Provenance, man.

MVS carts? Ask the seller to open up the cart and take a pic of the pcb.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Only games I'll spend some more money on is Neo Aes games but I do have a limit. I only have two high price games (Japanese SSVS fixed and unfixed) and acquired them here at a decent price years ago before the conversion scene blew up. Buying and even selling high end neo games is a major risk now. You have buyers getting burned by conversions and you have sellers getting burned by buyers who claim legit carts are fake and filing paypal claims. Only way you could avoid this not happening is by not throwing down crazy money on a game.

wonamik

Armored Scrum Object
Is there any possible way with all technology to scan through the plastic of a homecart and see if its real or not? Or do we have to wait a couple of years for that to become available?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Is there any possible way with all technology to scan through the plastic of a homecart and see if its real or not? Or do we have to wait a couple of years for that to become available?

I believe that's part of 8man's authenticity service.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
luckily I've never purchased anything pricy that turned to be a bootleg, only bought one boot mvs game, the last blade but I only paid 5 bucks for it and it works great.

bolts100

n00b
Managed to buy a boot puzzle bobble. Replaced it with what I thought was a genuine cart that turned out to be a boot then took another 2 attempts after this to get a genuine cart.

Only other time i've had this is with a Zupapa cart a few years back.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
The most expensive game I've bought that turned out to be a boot was Super Dodge Ball MVS. Seller said it was genuine. Promptly returned.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Stuff has been happening with SNES as well. I've seen Earthbound conversions, and mega man x3 JP version put into a US version cart+new label.

Nickrb

Angel's Love Slave

Take a rock.

Smash home cart.

Oh look, your cart was legitimate.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
yeah i bought a puzzle bobble and thought it was legit till i looked at the boards a few years later and found other than pb roms on the board and al the pb chips where eproms.

bootleg pro.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Not as of yet. But I'm scared to open up some of my Japanese MVS carts that I've gotten off YAJ to look. Best to not know.

That said, the handful of conversions/bootlegs that I do own, I intentionally bought them because they were a fraction of the price I would've paid for a legit cart.