Have you ever permanently stopped playing a game out of sheer frustration?

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Either video, card, or table top?

I find if I have an exceptionally bad session of a game, I lose all desire to ever play it again.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Yes, but quite rarely. Recently I got so frustrated playing Trials HD that I doubt I'll ever go back to it. Before that, I guess it was Devil May Cry 4 (though in that case, it was bad game design and controls that made me ditch it rather than cheap ass difficulty).

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Super Mario Sunshine.
DMC4 is a button basher,beat the final boss it the first time playing.
No need to get al the so called secrets unlocked,lost interest really quick.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sure, it happens all the time, if I get frustrated enough and hit a wall. The test of a game is whether or not you're still willing to come back to it and give it one more chance. Sometimes you make new headway at that point, sometimes you don't and realize you were right to put it down the first time.

matrimelee

Hardened Shock Trooper
I guess most recently it would be Split Second. Fuck, that game is hard.

But sure, lost interest in frustration a few times.

Was going for Recon armor for Halo, gave up on that damn firefight achievement...

Leaning against playing Singularity any further... We'll see...

Oh, Conflict Denied Ops. Terrible fucking game.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Shining Force III disc 1: on my second playthrough attempt (the first got wiped when the Saturn save battery died), I got all the way to the huge golem castle bridge boss, got defeated a lot, and lost interest. The thing was, with that particular save I was trying to get a 100% completion, and I had done some of the harder things you could do in the game, like save ALL the refugees from the knights in the train switching stage, so sneaking by the golem wasn't an option.

Sonic Adventure 2 I almost quit. I just plain hated the rail grinding mechanic... and the developers had to go and make the LAST FUCKING STAGE on Hero-side storyline ALL GRINDING.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yes, many. If a game pisses me off, but I feel like I can do it, I'll keep playing. If a game is pissing me off and I'm not enjoying it at all it gets shelved or returned to gamefly without another thought.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Tenkaichi Budokai 3 for PS2... honeslty I can't beat a friend so I decided I had to quit... everytime he wins he goes all "proud princess" and I simply can't stand it...

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Yes, but not for a long time as I make a point of not buying shit games.

I did sell DMC4 without beating it but not because of frustration. I flogged it because it was shit.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I give up on a lot of games due to lack of time/interest, but I generally don't quit out of frustration. One game that comes to mind is ActRaiser 2 on the SNES, I bought it back when it was fairly new and it broke me.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled out my SNES and started playing it again, and I gave ActRaiser 2 another shot, and the game is fantastic. Still hard, but I'm a better player now. I beat easy mode and I'm working my way through normal now.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
RE0 and Mario Sunshine

because they were annoying, both hung on me after doing something challenging, and .. basically fucking sucked.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yep. Dead Space. Got to the asteroid part and couldn't beat it 10 times. I turned the game off and put it on the shelf.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sonic Adventure 2 I almost quit. I just plain hated the rail grinding mechanic... and the developers had to go and make the LAST FUCKING STAGE on Hero-side storyline ALL GRINDING.
It was really hard to do the rail grinding at first, but I kind of liked how that level forces you to learn to do it consistently or perish. It's surprising the things that seem impossible at first but later become possible.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
It happens quite often. I'm a casual gamer, I don't enjoy playing videogames for challenge or competition. I play most games on the easy or normal difficulty. The only games I've played on the highest difficulty are those that were easy enough to make that jump after completing them on normal difficulty (Mass Effect 2 for example).

But if a game is raising my blood pressure and frustration I won't hesitate to stop immediately. I'll come back to that game one more time to see if I can surpass my troubles with it. If I can't, boom...done...trade it in. I play videogames to chillout, relax and melt away, not to raise my pulse.

But there has been an awful string of games this year that have either been complete letdowns or pigeonholed me into submission. Alpha Protocol, Alan Wake, God of War II, Infinite Space, 3D Dot Game Heroes...and DJ Max Fever come to mind. I enjoy certain aspects of each of these games, but not enough to compel me to continue playing them just to have my ass handed to me over and over again.

You should've seen me when I was younger, I would routinely break NES controllers because I would become so frustrated and "ninja star" (thank you Ninja Gaiden) that controller right into the wall. But that wasn't an issue when it was a simple thing to have the parents purchase another controller. When I started purchasing all my own stuff that all came to an end.

Well, almost an end. One particular mission in Saints Row did get me heated enough that I destroyed a 360 controller. I football-touchdown-spiked that controller right into the floor in utter defeat. Then I became more pissed about destroying a $50 controller than failing that mission over and over again. It was a bad day.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The only game I have permanently stopped playing and will never touch again is Stern's The End.

With regards to other games, I take a temporary break and then play it again.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
As strange as it may sound, if a game is frustrating me I'm already at the point where I consider it worth completing, so I see it through.

I'm the kind of person that gets very upset about difficult and frustrated games, but I realize that as long as I'm not hurting anyone else and I'm not hurting myself, it's okay to get a little angry about it now and again.

I thought Godhand was difficult, and there were times I was EXTREMELY frustrated with that game, but looking back on it, Godhand is a game I'd instantly recommend to anyone. The same goes for games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, cranked to the highest difficulty.

Hell, I beat God Of War II on Titan Mode, and that was the hardest and most frustrating thing I've ever done in a video game. I'll never do it AGAIN, mind you, but I saw it through and felt a personal sense of accomplishment out of it despite it being about a worthless thing like completing a video game.

I've been through real pain and enduring physical illness. There's not a lot I can do with the same degree of intensity I used to. Video games is one thing I CAN do with the same ability as when I was completely healthy, so getting angry about it is a way to stay tapped into the 'old' me, if that makes any sense.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
(Super) Street Fighter IV was the first game I've done that with. I didn't think I'd do that with a game. There's a first for everything though.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Too much hate for DMC4. I thought it was about as good as the first, with even better environments. The previous 2 games were utter shit though (DMC3 had solid gameplay, but everything else was shitty as fuck)

I try not to quit on any game, or put it on hold after spending a considerable amount of time on it. I know if I did that, it would be more difficult to get back to it later.

The last game I almost ended up quitting was Land Stalker. The amount of mazes and puzzles was even beyond frustrating. I absolutely did not expect that amount of confusing puzzles, and I was not ready for it mentally. I didn't manage to beat it, but that's because I lost my save file near the end of the game, not becuase I intended to quit (though I was very close to do so).

Hell, I beat God Of War II on Titan Mode, and that was the hardest and most frustrating thing I've ever done in a video game. I'll never do it AGAIN, mind you, but I saw it through and felt a personal sense of accomplishment out of it despite it being about a worthless thing like completing a video game.

[GoW1 SPOILER]The multiple Kratos' nightmare fight at the end of the first game, Titan Mode[/SPOILER]. Dude, DUDE, THAT WAS HELL ITSELF. I managed to beat it, and then beat the almost equally-heart-breaking last fight, only to see the game freeze on me on the last part where you enter the throne room. I can't believe I went through that shit a second time and actually beat it again

Same thing happened to me with the last fight in GoW2, Titan Mode. But I found that game generally easier. The part I struggled with the most is where you fight about 5~6 groups of multiple enemies near the end of the game.

Last edited:

Heath

, cheyne stoking
I can think of a few but number one for me is trying to get platinum medals on Trials HD:blow_top:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I'll never forget one morning I was leaving a girl's house, and all of a sudden I heard some yelling. I turned around, and it had to be a dude in his mid 40s, bald, taking a N64 controller and repeatedly smashing it against the pavement outside his house. If camera phones were around back then you bet your ass that shit would be on youtube.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Halo 3 is getting to me lately.

Just because of the droppers in Ranked matches.

It's happening way too damn much.

One of the few games I honestly get upset about when shit goes wrong.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
SFIV & SSFIV. It seems like I'm never gonna get the hang of it, I just can't play the game at a decent competitive level.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I remember Shadow of Rome making me more angry that any game had before. The control response in the gladiator parts just made me see red. I flung the disc at the wall and snapped it in fury. I vow never to play games that make me that angry.

Oh and that fucking Wind Waker abomination drove me nuts. The bit where you have to shoot yourself out of flowers with pixel perfect landings required. What a pointless grind. I gave up on that shit too.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
MDK2 on the DC, but only because of a design flaw.

At a certain point in a certain pretty hard level, to continue advancing you had to fall through a ledge, inevitably taking some damage. The thing is... considering that the level was pretty hard, I ended up with little HP left... so falling = dying. Even after dying, the game would make me respawn with the same amount of health at almost the exact same place, making it impossible for me to advance.