HBO Go question

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
My dad has Direct TV and HBO. I bought him a Roku box so he could take advantage of HBO Go but for some reason Direct TV doesn't support Roku products. The you can access it from a 360, but he doesn't have one of those. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other streaming devices that lets Direct TV users stream HBO.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
that's bizarre, when i used hbo go on my cell phone, i just had to download the app from google play(market) and then login with my username/password.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Yeah, apparently Direct TV has some issue with Roku specifically. They support every other device that has HBO Go as far as I'm aware.

I heard the Apple TV is going to get the app soon, might just hold out for that.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
if your dad has directtv with hbo, then on log in to hbogo, you can just select directtv as your provider

that's what I was doing

on the computer... not sure what roku's problem is.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Yeah, apparently Direct TV has some issue with Roku specifically. They support every other device that has HBO Go as far as I'm aware.

I heard the Apple TV is going to get the app soon, might just hold out for that.

yeah? too bad appletv won't let you stream a lot of media. it's like they only allow things in the limited formats they prefer...

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
if your dad has directtv with hbo, then on log in to hbogo, you can just select directtv as your provider

that's what I was doing

He can access it from the PC like that, and I've logged into his account through my 360 but they don't support Roku devices for some reason. Which I did not find out until Christmas morning when we were setting the thing up, heh.

I guess he could just hook up his PC to his tv, but I just figured a streaming device would be more convenient.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
He can access it from the PC like that, and I've logged into his account through my 360 but they don't support Roku devices for some reason. Which I did not find out until Christmas morning when we were setting the thing up, heh.

I guess he could just hook up his PC to his tv, but I just figured a streaming device would be more convenient.

I looked it up and apparently it's a big deal, where dtv has denied any streaming for its subscribers. Wow. Tell your dad to ditch dtv. It's too expensive anyways.

And the interface sucks.

I have been begging my dad to get rid of that shit. I hate visiting my parents house because they have dtv.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I looked it up and apparently it's a big deal, where dtv has denied any streaming for its subscribers. Wow. Tell your dad to ditch dtv. It's too expensive anyways.

And the interface sucks.

I have been begging my dad to get rid of that shit. I hate visiting my parents house because they have dtv.

I feel the same way. I think if he drops the service he'd have to pay out the ass, probably a contract thing or something. Otherwise he would get rid of it, he's not a fan either. He only went with them because the only other choice is Comcast where they live. They kind of suck too but at least the service itself is decent.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I feel the same way. I think if he drops the service he'd have to pay out the ass, probably a contract thing or something. Otherwise he would get rid of it, he's not a fan either. He only went with them because the only other choice is Comcast where they live. They kind of suck too but at least the service itself is decent.

I am considering to move just to get comcast, as it seems like the better choice over fios by far.

fios came in and offered something great, but then became the same as the rest. The best scenario is to be able to switch to the provider that wants customers more, not to be locked into the one who hates its customers.