HBO Westworld discussion

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I cannot be the only one here that is watching this (so far) masterpiece...

This show is so full of Easter eggs, hints, and misleading stuff, I think it would make for a great discussion topic.

Anyone else watching it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I cannot be the only one here that is watching this (so far) masterpiece...

This show is so full of Easter eggs, hints, and misleading stuff, I think it would make for a great discussion topic.

Anyone else watching it?

Tried watching 3 episodes. It was rapey yet boring.

Not bothering to watch the rest.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

The non stop violence/sex really begins to taper off and give way to deeper plot. I feel the episodes early on were there to paint a picture of how awful the place really was and what it draws out of the people that go there. Last night's episode (6) began to go much farther down the rabbit hole in terms of what's really going on under the surface.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
loving the show so far. I havent watched last night's (11-6) ep, but Im definitely enjoying it and hoping we get some resolution for this season. I heard they already have like 5 seasons mapped out. I was hoping this was going to be a miniseries.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
loving the show so far. I havent watched last night's (11-6) ep, but Im definitely enjoying it and hoping we get some resolution for this season. I heard they already have like 5 seasons mapped out. I was hoping this was going to be a miniseries.

We'll have to see where it goes, the show definitely has the potential to go all kinds of places given the nature of it all...but that's the same with many shows that never really amount to much.

I must admit that I've long been a fanboy of the original film...I've seen it more times than I can count. So far I'm loving that this universe is the same as the film and the scattered hidden things placed here and there.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Thats cool. Ive only see the original once. Never saw the Futureworld sequel or the TV show that came after so I'm not super familiar with it so I guess I miss quite a few of the easter eggs. For what I *do* know, though - As soon as I saw Ed Harris' character I thought "Oh badass, hes playing Yul Brynner's character!"

So far, that's not the case, lol.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I just had time to start it yesterday. Did 4 episodes trying to catch up.
Right now it's moving really slow in terms of plot, to the point where the girlfriend completely lost interest. I'm still intrigued as it is really building a lot of tension. Who, what , when will something happen....

I know absolutely nothing of the books or previous incarnations of this story.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Not to mention the ever so stale, non-sensical bisexual undertones, another stale, yet hardcore business woman, her prototypical male computer nerd to shove around etc. etc... this is going no where.

The cyborg premise alone feels dated and corny, since everything is going to become a digital emulation or genetic engineering -- and indeed, the software is even here more important, the silicon dolls just a MacGuffin to sell sex & violence for the umpteenth time.

The most fascinating aspect to discover was, that after all these years, Hopkins' voice remained unchanged. I closed my eyes and there was The Looking Glass War again, or The Tenth Man.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Thats cool. Ive only see the original once. Never saw the Futureworld sequel or the TV show that came after so I'm not super familiar with it so I guess I miss quite a few of the easter eggs. For what I *do* know, though - As soon as I saw Ed Harris' character I thought "Oh badass, hes playing Yul Brynner's character!"

So far, that's not the case, lol.

Yeah...that one threw me off at first as well. The show has done that ton so far, making you "know" something to be true then telling you the polar opposite.

Futureworld is crap...don't waste your time.

I just had time to start it yesterday. Did 4 episodes trying to catch up.
Right now it's moving really slow in terms of plot, to the point where the girlfriend completely lost interest. I'm still intrigued as it is really building a lot of tension. Who, what , when will something happen....

I know absolutely nothing of the books or previous incarnations of this story.

Like Horn said...HBO is long hauling this one so I'm guessing they're not going to blow their load all at once. i'll admit they're scraping the line of boredom, but so far they've held my interest.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've been watching it since the 1st episode as well. It's the show I look forward to the most each week. Very well done.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I think i may wait for the season to be over, and then start watching it again.
I don't mind the slow pace, but i think it will be more enjoyable seeing it all at once. I like deep character development, but damn....

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't mind the slow pace, but i think it will be more enjoyable seeing it all at once. I like deep character development, but damn....

I kicked this around myself...but we've been enjoying watching it each week. For some reason, shows like TWD don't work well piece by piece, Westworld I'm ok with.

...that and I doubt there will be the absurd "mid season break" bullshit network shows pull...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
So it basically boils down to:
Do you like JJ Abrams?
Do you think Abrams is a hack?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

While I do like the series, I agree that it was better when I could see the first three episodes on demand versus waiting a week.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Do you like JJ Abrams?

For the most part, yes, I do like much of Abrams work. He can get a bit off track at at times, but his attention to detail and his ability to tell a story can be amazing when he is at his best.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Do you like JJ Abrams?
I like to put it this way...

LOST's first season (when jj was around) is still some of the best TV in the last 10 or so years.

Then JJ left to make Fringe, which was awesome, and then from the 2nd season on, LOST went to utter shit.

Soooo..

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I kicked this around myself...but we've been enjoying watching it each week. For some reason, shows like TWD don't work well piece by piece, Westworld I'm ok with.

...that and I doubt there will be the absurd "mid season break" bullshit network shows pull...

I cannot watch the Walking Dead at normal speed or without a fast forward feature.
Westworld is definitely more engaging than TWD at least.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I cannot watch the Walking Dead at normal speed or without a fast forward feature.
Westworld is definitely more engaging than TWD at least.

TWD wastes a ton of time on complete bullshit plot lines to nowhere. For fuck's sake...look at the entire Season 5 Grady Memorial Hospital plot line to nowhere. Introduce a ton of characters, kill off a main cast member, kill of Noah later...that's all folks! Tons of time wasted developing a bunch of people you'll never see again. I could have easily done without that entire boring sub plot and would gladly FF past much of it had I been watching the entire season in one big chunk.

I hope this does not happen to Westworld...a ton of plot lines all going at once, many for zero reason besides eating time. Its too early to tell at this point though, only time will tell.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
It's on my list of stuff to watch.

Loved the movie but waiting till I can batch watch, getting there as its on like episode 6 already?

Sounds good so far tho :)

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I lolz at folks who have been ok with Game Of Thrones being rapey but haven't been ok with it in Westworld

I've been enjoying this far more then I thought I would but given Ed Brubaker is on the writing staff it's no wonder

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
For me it didn't start to get really engaging until around Episode 4. Episode 5 continued that and I'll have to watch Ep 6 tonight.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
From "masterpiece" to scraping the line of boredom? Quick flip flop Smoke :keke: ;)

Though right now I'm bouncing back and forth in a similar way. So much feels cookie cutter and predictable or cliche, but then small bits start to make me (naively?) think bigger twists are just around the corner. Overall it's shot pretty well and looks/sounds good, and it's still fun to watch... even when there is occasional shit dialogue or obvious plot turns.