Headphones

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Can anyone recommend some good closed-back (and circumaural) headphones (i.e., ones that block out a lot of the external sounds)?
I was looking for flat-sounding headphones, i.e. ones that are for professional monitoring, rather than headphones with heavy bass.

Th headphones I've been looking at are:
Audio Technica ATH A700X, A900X
Sony 7506
Sony MDR V6

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
on the budget side of things ive been rocking some sennheiser hd280 pro headphones (about $100 usd) for the last 10 years. they still make them and they are awesome.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I love the Bose Quiet Comfort 25 headphones. Around $300, but they are awesome.

When I'm writing a paper, I have music playing and I can't hear the kids! That alone is worth the money :) I've worn them on flights, and couldn't hear anything from the other passengers. I had an aisle seat, and the guy with the window seat was trying to say he had to go to the bathroom... He had to tap me to get my attention. I love quiet environments, and those headphones make it possible.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wouldn't recommend the MDR V6 (they can be hard to find legit btw.) or the MDR-7506 if you're looking for cans that block out noise, they are rather "open" for closed-back ones.

Nice sounding headphones though, I use the MDR-7506 whenever I listen to music or play games out of the house (eg. on the train), I put some Beyerdynamic velour pads (EDT250V?) on them [thanks ki_atsushi] - makes them more comfortable to wear and I think the bass is better. So I can recommend these for the price... I personally wouldn't walk around with more than $100 phones, but that might just be me.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I love the Bose Quiet Comfort 25 headphones. Around $300, but they are awesome.

When I'm writing a paper, I have music playing and I can't hear the kids! That alone is worth the money :) I've worn them on flights, and couldn't hear anything from the other passengers. I had an aisle seat, and the guy with the window seat was trying to say he had to go to the bathroom... He had to tap me to get my attention. I love quiet environments, and those headphones make it possible.
isn't the Quiet Comfort 25 a noise-reduction headphone? That's not the same as a closed-back.

wouldn't recommend the MDR V6 (they can be hard to find legit btw.) or the MDR-7506 if you're looking for cans that block out noise, they are rather "open" for closed-back ones.
I think the V6 is easy to find legit (if you're talking about the V6 headphones made in Thailand, which are legit). But obviously made in Japan is better.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
on the budget side of things ive been rocking some sennheiser hd280 pro headphones (about $100 usd) for the last 10 years. they still make them and they are awesome.

Seconded for Sennheiser. I got my headphones from them for like $55 about 6-7 years ago and they still sound great to me.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
My experience with the Sennheiser is great, if you decide to go with that brand. I've had the HD570 for quite a while now. It's open though, and not really what you are looking for.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
joe8, didn't you have a pair of AKG 702's like me? I swear we talked about them in the past. And I had to show you that Quincy Jones used them in the studio. :p

If so, those are excellent studio monitors with flat frequency response. Sony MDR-7506 are a good choice too, and are only ~$80

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I want AKG 702s :(

Wanna buy them? The earpads are discolored from age, but they sound amazing

TRIPLE EDIT: I'm a dumbass, they really are 701's. I get them and the 702's mixed up easily because there's only minor differences.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Neo Ash hooked me up with a set of Beyer Dynamic DT-770i cans for Secret Santa, and I think they're awesome. I don't think they make that exact model anymore, but they make something similar. The only thing I changed is to put velour earpads on them, but that's just a personal preference issue. They're (in my opinion) flat, which is important since I use them when editing my show. There was one episode I did a long time ago where I used my Klipsch in-ear headphones when editing, and I ended up reducing the bass and raising the treble way too much because those earphones are bass-heavy.

Anyway, they're great headphones because literally every part on them is replaceable.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
joe8, didn't you have a pair of AKG 702's like me? I swear we talked about them in the past. And I had to show you that Quincy Jones used them in the studio. :p

If so, those are excellent studio monitors with flat frequency response. Sony MDR-7506 are a good choice too, and are only ~$80

I recall this conversation clearly.

+1 on Sennheiser. My brother has a pair and they sound awesome, even off the mp3 on his phone. I have a pair of sennheiser earbuds for running I got for cheap and they work well, but are high on treble.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cummon' man, i know you want some Beats by Dre

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I have some brand new, mint-in-baggie earbuds that came with a Gamate handheld. The foam pads are rotting and flaking off. $500 shipped, holy grail.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
PSB refurbs pop up on Amazon sometimes. If you can get some $400 cans for $250-go for it.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
PSB refurbs pop up on Amazon sometimes. If you can get some $400 cans for $250-go for it.

54126e9e9cc8c8cce5af1681ea07367b.jpg

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
+1 for the Beyerdynamic DT-770's. comfy as hell, sound awesome and no ear fatigue even after extended use

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
+1 for the Beyerdynamic DT-770's. comfy as hell, sound awesome and no ear fatigue even after extended use

Fuckin A. Especially with the velour earpads. I fell asleep with mine on last night.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I bought a Sennheiser HD555 8 years ago. Open headphones though so the rest of the world hears your music but good for at home listening.