Hearthstone

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
downloaded it on a whim this morning and then proceeded to play for five hours straight

only card-type game i ever got into was Cardfighter Clash, so it's not a genre of gaming that ever thought to play much, but this has the potential to be thoroughly addicting

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
It seemed like a cool game when I played the beta, but I couldn't get into it enough to play it over the other games I have on my backlog. Some people will bash it for being "pay to win", but it's not really. You still have to have a good strategy and deck building smarts. I'm not sure if there's anything you can't get without paying, though.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
They sent me a beta key a few months ago and I just never got around to trying it. It looks pretty simple though. Could be fun.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
you definitely don't have to pay but it certainly helps

every three wins earns you 10 gold (Quests earn you more gold but it varies) and 100 gold gets you a booster pack

there's some definite long-term playing involved if you want to get all the cards without paying but it is certainly viable

again, i have no reference point when it comes to card games like these but i am having a hell of a time

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Downloading it now. I'm a huge MTG freak and love Warcraft lore. Can't wait to see what this is all about.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I got into this a while back and played for a week or so.

I've played lots of different card games over the years both online and tabletop. I honestly feel this is one of the worst, total cash grab, poorly done, I've ever experienced.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Just spent an hour on it. Beat the first 6 people. My first impressions is that it reminded me a lot of Magic, except you don't have to worry about pulling enough lands in order to cast certain things since your mana automatically goes up each round. It took me a bit to get used to the idea that my pet's health doesn't regenerate after each turn, but I guess that makes sense. Weapons remind me of artifacts. All in all, it seems pretty fun. I'm not sure how this seems like a cash grab if you can legitimately earn every card. Pay to win, maybe, but not a cash grab. When I think of cash grab, I think of Wizards of the Coast charging me $1 on top of the Magic 2014 game I bought just to open more slots to play sealed tournaments.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'm trying it out because of this thread. Seems pretty cool so far. The presentation is pretty amazing. My name is JakeThor #1314 on Battlenet

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
OK all I've been playing today is this game. It's pretty fucking addicting.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
There are still a lot of graphical bugs like card images appearing black.

Also mage is way overpowered...

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i played a Mage for the most part yesterday and tended to win the majority of my games by a fair degree, i then switched to a Rogue because i saw nobody using a Rogue and started to lose a lot or just edge out wins

i was having a lot of fun with the Rogue so i was going to keep up with it and tweek it as i go

haven't tried out any other class yet but i certainly will

fun game, i played it a ton yesterday

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Played a shitload last night. I couldn't stop playing. Me and a buddy Skype'd and played while discussing tactics. I then went to bed and watched high level matches on my ipad to get an idea of how to build effective decks. Rogues are probably the best in the game (so far, the game is being tweaked, and various cards nerfed throughout the beta). They can combo so much shit off of 0 casting cost cards, and reduce the casting cost of other cards, and shit out a fucking 13/13 Vancleef on turn 3/4 with a Rogue Adventurer in the 8/8 area. It's pretty amazing how they can control the board and constantly pick off opponent's minions, too.

You need good cards, though. I probably won't be able to craft a Vancleef for a very long time, unless I randomly pull him from a booster pack.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
nope nope nope nope nope nope

I'm not going down this rabbit hole.

Where's muh Starcraft Online?

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i haven't read any threads or watched any videos as i was having fun figuring things out on my own but i eventually will

switched my Rogue deck around to have a lot of low cost minions with damaging Battlecry effects and i've been winning a lot more

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I play MTG now, and im pretty into that. I tried MTGO, but the UI is so ugly, and i dont want to pay twice for things, since i play with the actual cards. Ive been hearing many good things about Hearthstone, so ill have to check the open beta out

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Don't really know how anyone finds it addicting, in my experience I could never earn enough gold to do much of anything. The gameplay is pretty simplistic compared to something like Magic or Might and Magic: Duels of Champions.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
The gameplay is pretty simplistic compared to something like Magic or Might and Magic: Duels of Champions.

I think that's a good thing. The games are really fast, too. There's still a lot of strategy involved --I like how only certain cards can be used with certain heroes.

It does take a long time to craft good cards. I just now got Edward Vancleef.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I installed this tonight and unlocked a couple heroes and had a pretty close match with another person. Really fun game. I underestimated how addicting this may be. I think I'll be spending a lot of time with this over the weekend.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
fuck this damn game

i have shit to do and i just... keep... playing

just tried out the Arena and got my ass kicked

i need to learn the other classes; i've been doing nothing but Rogue for a while now

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I've spent the last 2 days tweeking my Rogue deck. There's a handful of cards I need to make it really powerful. The combos you can get going are insane. I just found out today that you can't have more than 10 cards in a deck. I had a Goblin Auctioneer out (draw one card for each spell you play), and I was pulling cards left and right with 1 and 0 cast cards that combo'd into other shit. It looked like I went to pull a card, and it just disappeared. If it was Vancleef, I would've been pissed (since you can only have one legendary per deck).

It's really fun experimenting with everything. It sucks that it takes so much arcane dust to craft shit and you get so very little for disenchanting cards (even if they're rare).

On a fun note: I pulled a Twisted Nether out of a pack today! I don't use Warlock much (yet), but I love it when the guy screams LEGENDARY when you pull those cards (another fun note: before you click on cards you get out of your pack, you can hover over them to see what rarity you get (the card will emit a blue aura for rare, etc)).

Last edited:

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
started playing Priest a lot

been doing pretty good with just basic cards

tried playing Ranked but was getting smoked; everyone i played in there had invested quite heavily into higher-end cards

still having a blast with this, even got some people from work into it (couple of them are Magic veterans)