Help required - Arcade Cabinet info, which is the best?

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Hi all,

Well, at the moment I am undecided. I am either going to buy a supergun or a dedicated cabinet. I have the room for a cabinet and I kind of like the idea of having one rather than a supergun. Although, the supergun does have its benefits as it is a little cheaper and more compact.

My main reason for a cabinet is for two games that I play avidly and at a tournament level SF3 3rd Strike and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I do also intend to have it so that it can be used with the various SNK releases on the Atomiswave along with some retro games I will pick up. (Final Fight, Raiden Fighters etc...)

So obviously, it must have a 6 button layout as I am not interested in getting it for MVS stuff as I have an AES set-up for all my Neo needs.

I have been doing some research on cabinets and have compiled the following list of cabinets that I am thinking of purchasing one from. (Note: I only play on Japanese style cabinets hence this list)

1) SNK Super Neo 29'
2) Sega NEW Versus City
3) Sega Blast City
4) Sega New Astro City

I am also thinking of getting one of those Super Big SNK 50' inch Megalo cabinets that you might have seen pics of in NeoGeoWorld Osaka when it was open.

I like the idea of the SNK 50' megalo and the Sega Versus city as there is room to VS someone. Whilst the Super Neo 29, Blast City and Astro City are nice cabinets. For competitive play they are a tight squeeze.

So if anyone here who owns these or has owned one could advise me on the pros and cons of each cabinet I would appreciate it and if anyone has any pics of those SNK Megalo's feel free to post it as I have been looking for one but cant find even a pic.

Last edited:

BIG

sony fanboy
1) SNK Super Neo 29' - wired for Neo,modification/alterations required in order to play standard JAMMA stuff.
2) Sega NEW Versus City - cool cab if space isn't a commodity,since two cabs are required to play 2-player games. Also see Astro City.
3) Sega Blast City - awesome cab w/ dual res monitor,low-res look like shit,though.
4) Sega New Astro City - standard jamma cab,very nice monitor.

B-

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
BIG said:
1) SNK Super Neo 29' - wired for Neo,modification/alterations required in order to play standard JAMMA stuff.
2) Sega NEW Versus City - cool cab if space isn't a commodity,since two cabs are required to play 2-player games. Also see Astro City.
3) Sega Blast City - awesome cab w/ dual res monitor,low-res look like shit,though.
4) Sega New Astro City - standard jamma cab,very nice monitor.

B-

Thanks for the response BIG. A few more questions:

1) Out of those, which ones are med-resolution as I know that is a minimum requirement to play Atomiswave games.
2) If you had to pick, which one is the best in terms of picture quailty, durability and sound. (In order if possible)

I hear the Sega Blast City is really good, but I am sort of leaning to the Versus City due to the head to head feature plus I have the room. But I dont want to sacrifice quality if possible.

BIG

sony fanboy
Kusanagi-sama' said:
Thanks for the response BIG. A few more questions:

1) Out of those, which ones are med-resolution as I know that is a minimum requirement to play Atomiswave games.
2) If you had to pick, which one is the best in terms of picture quailty, durability and sound. (In order if possible)

I hear the Sega Blast City is really good, but I am sort of leaning to the Versus City due to the head to head feature plus I have the room. But I dont want to sacrifice quality if possible.

If I remember correctly,the Blast City,Capcom Impress and the New Astro City are capable of displaying med-res.

The second question is a toughie...

Since you're after quality build and performance,I'd say,go with the Sega cabs. The Capcom Impress are nice,but I can't help but feel that they're somewhat fragile,thanks to fact that the cab is made up mostly of fiber-glass.

My suggestions:

Med-hi res.,definitely go with the Blast City.
Low-med. res,New Astro City/Versus City.

B-