help wanted: DIY Neo Geo CD PSU stepdown converter

lozozzo92

n00b
Hi to everyone!

I have got a couple (hmm..6 - 3 TopLoader, 2 FrontLoader, 1 CDZ) Neo Geo CDs (all working) and 1 original PSU, so I started wondering if i could create a cheap solution to power them with a good 12v power supply.

I stumbled across Otaku's Store in a google search www.otakus-store.net/en/pre-modded-consoles/662-sd-loader-neo-geo-cd-console-video-by-pass-psu-mod-snk.html and saw that he used the Bitfunx SaturnPSU as you can see in image N°3
So i bought a few step down converters from amazon from various companies in attempt to recreate this mod, but the only thing i can get out is a black screen, no sound BUT i get sync and the 480 signal.

The idea would be to remove from the Neo Geo CD's the tripolar propretary plug, solder a 5.5 DC female connector, step down the 12v line to 5v and voilà..but so far i am not progressing at all.

Thanks for your help, if anyone is interested in creating a cheap solution for the super expensive original PSUs!

P.S. I've got the Bitfunx SaturnPSU in house, but it does not work if I inject the voltages to the power plug of the NGCD.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I was thinking about how simple the PCB of the Neo CD PSU was, and you gave me a stupid but possibly workable idea: adding the PSU PCB (original or clone traced from the original) inside the console and wiring a regular power cable jack into the back of the unit. That triple pin connector is a bitch.

lozozzo92

n00b
I was thinking about how simple the PCB of the Neo CD PSU was, and you gave me a stupid but possibly workable idea: adding the PSU PCB (original or clone traced from the original) inside the console and wiring a regular power cable jack into the back of the unit. That triple pin connector is a bitch.
if you start working on a possible solution, keep this thread updated, i have done many tests but don't want to annoy anyone (with a good 12v psu, 3/4 types of step down converters, bench psu, saturnpsu pcb).