Help with horizontal blur on CMVS to OSSC

Howdy, I'm trying to fine-tune my consolized Neo Geo set-up on a modern TV and was hoping I could get a little help from the experts. I can provide more details, if necessary, but the gist of it is that I everything looks great, there's just a little bit of horizontal jitter/blur. I have one of these (https://www.ebay.com/itm/254994703101) connected via a high-end SCART cable to an OSSC with a profile that is default plus

- Sync opt. > H-PPL Post-Coast: 3 lines
- Sync opt. > Hsync tolerance: 8.61 aprox

The image looks great on my HD TV, but there's a little horizontal jitter/blur when you look closely. Honestly, it's the kind of thing that I don't think you can even notice when you sit about 10 feet away, but I'm trying to make sure that I have the optimal OSSC settings and learn more about maximizing this sweet upscaler's potential, in general.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Google FireBrandX, he has a site dedicated to OSSC settings for game consoles.

Google FireBrandX, he has a site dedicated to OSSC settings for game consoles.
Thanks, amusingly enough I've already tried his Neo Geo profile and am running into the same issue. Anyway, I emailed him directly for some advice. Will share it back here if I make any progress so that can hopefully help others.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Make sure your TV isn’t in movie mode, some movie modes are 24fps.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
What resolution scale is the OSSC outputting? Make sure you have all extra processing turned off on the TV. On Samsung TV's you have to set the label of the input to "PC".

FBX

Quiz Detective
He's getting wobbly edges even in generic mode on the OSSC, and he's had to change the default on the h-sync to even get a picture. This sounds to me like the consolization of the MVS is more the culprit. Would need to see pics of all the conversion PCB circuits. Beyond that, I'd recommend people start investing in the "Open MVS" kit. Everything there has been vetted with scopes as being perfectly driven.

The Open MVS kit uses the MV1C, which is great because that's the ONLY version with 100% pure digital audio for all channels if you want to throw that additional mod in yourself. Here's a video on the MV1C Open MVS kit:

Last edited:

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
He's getting wobbly edges even in generic mode on the OSSC, and he's had to change the default on the h-sync to even get a picture. This sounds to me like the consolization of the MVS is more the culprit. Would need to see pics of all the conversion PCB circuits. Beyond that, I'd recommend people start investing in the "Open MVS" kit. Everything there has been vetted with scopes as being perfectly driven.

The Open MVS kit uses the MV1C, which is great because that's the ONLY version with 100% pure digital audio for all channels if you want to throw that additional mod in yourself. Here's a video on the MV1C Open MVS kit:

Thanks FBX, if you already have a working consolized MVS, happy to just sell the AV board if you want to give that a go. It just taps into the RGBs lines from the JAMMA edge, along with 5V and GND. It expects to get line level audio, so perferably the audio is tapped from the headphone jack, or the stereo mod points from Xian Xi's site.

Really appreciate all the help, everyone. I reached out to the eBay seller for an answer on the Scart/RGB mod, but haven't had a chance yet to explore my CMVS more deeply.

w*1

n00b
I have a similar setup with updated OSSC firmware and fbx neogeo profile:
MVS (multislot) > Supergun > OSSC > LCD
but am also noticing the horizontal flickering, I've heard people mention installing the DFO; would this fix the that issue? (though I do plan on going with the OMVS at the end)