Hiroshima

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
77 years on.
I'm actually interested in learning about the military men in the US who opposed the dropping of the bomb, if nothing else because it's interesting.
Say what you will, Japan got fucked. Worse still though, civilians (no problem in the army getting smashed to bits). I'm aware of the reasoning behind the act. Still

Reactions: wyo

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Was there any difference between the army and civilians by the end of ww2?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Japan had tried to surrender several months before the atomic bombings, on the condition that they be allowed to keep their emperor. We said no, nuked them twice, then let them keep their emperor anyway.

The atomic bombings were not at all about ending the war with Japan. They were about proving to Stalin that they could and would do it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Was there any difference between the army and civilians by the end of ww2?

In a total war, no there are not. I'd argue any target in a total war is legitimate.

I offer this argument as caution against the danger of a modern, total war.

77 years on.
I'm actually interested in learning about the military men in the US who opposed the dropping of the bomb, if nothing else because it's interesting.
Say what you will, Japan got fucked. Worse still though, civilians (no problem in the army getting smashed to bits). I'm aware of the reasoning behind the act.

I always find when people ask "Was the dropping of the atomic bomb justified/moral/whatever?" because the question comes from the (false?) premise that the war (or, rather, war in general) is moral or justified.

Hopefully we'll never see a nuclear weapon dropped again in our lifetimes.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Japan had tried to surrender several months before the atomic bombings, on the condition that they be allowed to keep their emperor. We said no, nuked them twice, then let them keep their emperor anyway.
Keeping their emperor was Japan's only pre-nuke condition?
The atomic bombings were not at all about ending the war with Japan. They were about proving to Stalin that they could and would do it.
Two birds, one megastone.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My Miata was built there.
My Miata in Gran Turismo 3 could get up to 160mph. I think it took it the better part of a mile (or whatever the straight section of the test track was), but it did it nonetheless.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
My Miata in Gran Turismo 3 could get up to 160mph. I think it took it the better part of a mile (or whatever the straight section of the test track was), but it did it nonetheless.

I imagine the running gear of my car would explode with similar force as the original Little Boy over Hiroshima if it ever approached 160mph.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
White Light Black Rain is a must-view documentary IMO. I was aware of the murdering of ~220,000 people, but I stupidly assumed most of them died instant deaths. Hoo boy. I was wrong.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Radiation sickness is a bitch. Is that doc on any streaming services?

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Radiation sickness is a bitch. Is that doc on any streaming services?
Radioactive rain and instant dehydration too. Which is a baaaad combo. Yup it’s on HBO.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I'm pro nuclear power.
Not so much nuclear weapons.
I know... Good luck as they seem to go hand in hand. :cry:

StevenK

10 Year Member
I'm pro girl power.
But I don't think we should allow girls to be armed.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
White Light Black Rain is a must-view documentary IMO. I was aware of the murdering of ~220,000 people, but I stupidly assumed most of them died instant deaths. Hoo boy. I was wrong.
Most horrific comic ever put to paper. A firsthand, autobiographical account of the aftermath of the bomb. Barefoot Gen:

738e035c-0c33-46db-b7d6-49733c7e1524_1.29f7afcce971d0cf3187065ac6d4a64b.jpeg

BFS2-H_1800x.jpg

BFS2-I_1800x.jpg

BFS2-D_800x.jpg

BFS1-S_800x.jpg

Over the course of the story, you see the author's family members die off from radiation poisoning or burning alive while pinned under their collapsed house, all kinds of stuff. It's brutal.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
We read Barefoot Gen in my high school Japanese class and we had a Hiroshima survivor come talk to the class. She was 8 when the bomb dropped and literally her entire family died in the blast. Both of her parents, both of her siblings, all of her grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins died. Pretty much all of her friends and neighbors too. She pretty much didn't know a single soul in the world. Probably the most "educational" hour I spent in high school.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Most horrific comic ever put to paper. A firsthand, autobiographical account of the aftermath of the bomb. Barefoot Gen:

BFS2-H_1800x.jpg

BFS2-I_1800x.jpg

BFS2-D_800x.jpg

BFS1-S_800x.jpg

Over the course of the story, you see the author's family members die off from radiation poisoning or burning alive while pinned under their collapsed house, all kinds of stuff. It's brutal.
it is tremendous. Absolutely brutal

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member

BFS2-H_1800x.jpg

BFS2-I_1800x.jpg

BFS2-D_800x.jpg

BFS1-S_800x.jpg

The movies they did of this are extremely depressing but a must watch imo. The bomb scene alone is horrifically well done:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We read Barefoot Gen in my high school Japanese class and we had a Hiroshima survivor come talk to the class. She was 8 when the bomb dropped and literally her entire family died in the blast. Both of her parents, both of her siblings, all of her grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins died. Pretty much all of her friends and neighbors too. She pretty much didn't know a single soul in the world. Probably the most "educational" hour I spent in high school.
Honestly had a similar experience in High School, in 2002 a kid's grandfather came to talk to us about his experience during the Holocaust. His name was Jack van der Geest and this motherfucker escaped from Buchenwald. His tale is harrowing, almost unbelievable, but complete true.

Really grateful for that experience. His story wasn't as horrific as l imagine listening to a survivor of the atomic bombs, but it was certainly one of the most educational experiences I had in school. As I recall Mr. van der Geest only began to tell his story once Holocaust Deniers started popping up. The title of the book he wrote about his experience has always stuck with me: Was God on Vacation?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

BFS2-H_1800x.jpg

BFS2-I_1800x.jpg

BFS2-D_800x.jpg

BFS1-S_800x.jpg

Fuck me, that's terrible. The author was six years old when it happened. I can't imagine.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Shit is tragic as fuck. I almost wasn't here because of these bombs. Fat Man which was dropped on Nagasaki was originally flown to be dropped on Kokura. My Grandfather was in/near Kokura unbeknownst to US troops. He was captured early in the war by the Japanese army and was a POW for 1,000 days; if the bomb had dropped on Kokura its my understanding my grandfather and the other POWs with him would have been casualties. The bomb was rerouted to Nagasaki due to clouds over the original target. He eventually made it home alive and started a family; a lot of his story wasn't told until his final days, when he sat down with a VHS recorder and told his account of the war.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Just watched White Light/Black Rain after reading about it here.

I was half expecting a much darker, gruesome doc, but Im glad it wasn't quite that much, and much more about the people themselves. It was heart breaking to see what these people went through and are still going through. It looks like it was released in 2007 but Im not certain as to when the interviews took place. I can only imagine the interviewees have all passed by now.

Its powerful stuff.