Holy shit! F-18 crashes into San Diego suburb.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usmilitaryplanecrash

LOS ANGELES (AFP) – Three people were killed and one remained missing after a US F/A-18 fighter jet slammed into a densely populated residential neighborhood in California on Monday, officials said.

The accident occurred shortly before midday (2000 GMT) when the two-seater plane spiraled out of control and crashed into two homes in the University City suburb of San Diego, officials said.

The pilot of the aircraft, which had been taking part in a training exercise and was approaching the Marine Corps Air Station in Miramar when it crashed, ejected safely and landed in the grounds of a nearby school.

Plumes of thick white smoke billowed from the crash site, where dozens of firefighters battled to extinguish flames amid the charred wreckage of two homes in the leafy neighborhood.

The fatalities were confirmed at a mid-afternoon press conference attended by San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders, police, fire and military officials.

"Our hearts go out to the victims," Sanders told reporters.

The victims bodies were found in the scorched rubble of the crash site. The identities of the victims were not revealed but local media said a grandmother, a mother and two children lived in the house that was hit.

Reports said the mother and one of the children had died but the third victim was unidentified.

The exact cause of the accident was not known but Steve Diamond, a former military instructor who witnessed the crash, said the downed pilot told him the plane suffered a mechanical problem.

The pilot was flying quite low in the moments before he ejected, Diamond said. "Other than that, there was no overt indication of any kind of catastrophic failure," he added.

The pilot appeared to be unhurt, he added. "Turns out that after he extracted himself from the tree, he was OK. He was in good shape."

Another eyewitness told a local television reporter that the plane had spiraled out of control like a scene from 1986 movie "Top Gun," the hit film about a US Navy fighter pilot played by Tom Cruise.

"It just spiraled right out of 'Top Gun'. It came flying down. My mother screamed," the man said, reporting that he had seen the plane's pilot after he landed in a tree at a nearby school playing field.

"He just looked like he was dazed like 'Oh, my God, what happened over civilian air space?'," he said.

Pia Mantovani-Sud told the San Diego Tribune she had been inside her house on the street where the plane crashed when she heard the jet crash.

"I heard a boom boom boom ... I came out and saw my neighbor's house on fire," she told the paper's website.

Resident Nora Bhes added: "It sounded like a thunderstorm with a real screech at the end of it."

Wow. F-18 spins out and crashes into occupied housing. Three dead and the pilot is okay. Any SD members have more insight into what happened?

I bet that pilot feels like shit - mechanical failure or not.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Holy shit, that's a nightmare you don't even think of. Imagine if it were your own crib, or if you had family living in said house. DAMN. What a bad stroke of luck, during the holiday season no less.

My condolences to the affected families. That is just plain awful.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
This is horrible. It's somewhat amazing that this doesn't happen more often though. I know from experience that military pilots, while well trained, are much more reckless than a civilian. The F-16s I work with are piloted by some crazy bastards and have mechanical problems somewhat regularly, but nothing this bad. I wonder how much stick time the guy had.

PopeCuervoLime

Avid Neo-Expert
15 Year Member
I guess it goes without saying but:

Any members in SD affected by this? You guys ok?

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I just heard about this on the news. Not a good thing to happen, especially to those on the ground who were affected :(

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
This is what happens when NAS MIRAMAR home of TOP GUN goes into marine control as MCAS MIRAMAR. j/p :oh_no: ... and yes, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
It will be interesting to find out what happened. I have read where pilots have guided their planes away from populated areas and then crashed. I don't remember a situation where the pilot ejected (saving his life) and the plane hit a house, killing others.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
This is what happens when NAS MIRAMAR home of TOP GUN goes into marine control as MCAS MIRAMAR.
I'm glad I wasn't the first one who said it. :smirk: The Marines have some serious attitude problems, though I doubt this one will affect them for the better.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
Damn. That's sucks. I hope none of my family was near there. Hope this get's situated

Last edited:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
It's strange reading bad news while looking at your avatar.

aria

Former Moderator
I've spent some time in La Jolla, which is right by Miramar, and the first time I heard about this it made me curious if it had happened in that area --sadly, yup. If you've ever spent time in that part of Northern San Diego you'll see some of those jets fly fast, and often low, over the houses. It was only a matter of time that one screwed up and took out a house, it seems Miramar was opened before all the houses were built up in the late 80s and 90s.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thank god my grandparents moved out of there last year.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It will be interesting to find out what happened. I have read where pilots have guided their planes away from populated areas and then crashed. I don't remember a situation where the pilot ejected (saving his life) and the plane hit a house, killing others.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it on the news yesterday.

Well, good for the pilot, but the people his jet landed on weren't so lucky. He should have sacrificed himself and tried to crash the plane on an empty road or open field.

Kiken

Camel Slug
Inevitably, footage from this will end up on Shockwave and Destroyed In Seconds.

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
I live far away from it but it was like on the local channel news for the majority of the afternoon yesterday. Clean up has already begun for the University City community in which the plane crashed and investigations has begun.

Crazy shit I tell you that.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
This is exactly what I was thinking when I saw it on the news yesterday.

Well, good for the pilot, but the people his jet landed on weren't so lucky. He should have sacrificed himself and tried to crash the plane on an empty road or open field.

If it was a dead stick and he did not do anything to stall the aircraft granting it was a mechanical issue there was nothing the pilot could do and it was not his fault. The finger might be pointed at the mechanical crew.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
If it was a dead stick and he did not do anything to stall the aircraft granting it was a mechanical issue there was nothing the pilot could do and it was not his fault. The finger might be pointed at the mechanical crew.

I think that it why it will be interesting to hear what really happened.

Because, if there was a 1% chance the pilot could have spared (or tried to) other lives by staying with the craft trying everything until the end, then I would expect him to do so.

Are there situations when a damaged plane will auto eject the pilot or is it always up to the pliot to press eject?