Home theater n00b needs help!

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Okay, so while being a (wannabe) audiophile, I still have basically no experience with real home audio. My problem is thus:

I just came upon a 6.1 system made by Di Vinci for a more-than reasonable sum. However, these are just speakers and a sub. I know I need something to connect them to, soooo....what? I assume that a receiver is obligatory, and an amp could help improve, but I'm on a bit of a budget (otherwise I never would have taken the plunge to begin with). Any recommendations on what to do to connect/start building off of an 800-watt system with a center channel 4 way?

I'm looking to keep it under $600 for a rudimentary set-up just to get things working, and from there I'll build on it in time.

Also, primary uses will be for hooking up consoles, TV and computer as sources.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Andy Is A Bastard said:
I'm looking to keep it under $600 for a rudimentary set-up just to get things working, and from there I'll build on it in time.

$600 for... the receiver? Or including those speakers you found?

If you're just looking at a receiver, the Yamaha RX-V659 is a very nice piece of top-of-the-line low end equipment (if that makes sense) that I've gotten a lot of mileage out of. For under $600, you probably won't do any better.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Nick Goracke said:
$600 for... the receiver? Or including those speakers you found?

If you're just looking at a receiver, the Yamaha RX-V659 is a very nice piece of top-of-the-line low end equipment (if that makes sense) that I've gotten a lot of mileage out of. For under $600, you probably won't do any better.

Sorry 'bout that...yeah, I meant 600 not including the speaker set. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cheapest way to develop Audiophile creed is to put your money into a kickass 2 channel Setup...

Then you will be on the level and have a moral oneup on cheapass 5.1 audiophile wannabees

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
norton9478 said:
Cheapest way to develop Audiophile creed is to put your money into a kickass 2 channel Setup...

Then you will be on the level and have a moral oneup on cheapass 5.1 audiophile wannabees
Well said. 2 Channel is the way to go....I don't need no stink'n 5.1

No, for real it's all about what you're into. I love music so I pumped a ton of money into a 2 channel setup. If movies are your thing 5.1 is cool, plus you can always switch it to 2.1 for music and have the best of both worlds (just make sure to get some nice full range multi-driver speakers for your front channel).

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Do remember that there is a stark difference between a 5.1 and a 2.0 setup. Timbre matching is HUGE for 5.1. Having two large front towers and 3 much smaller speakers for center and surrounds will not work properly.

For a 5.1 you need the same speakers all around and if you HAVE to have one larger than the other, make it the center as it does 75%+ of the work.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Yeah Smoke is right. The ideal setup would be made of 5 identical speakers, however that is not always the most practical setup depending on the room and other factors. IMO 3 matching towers up front (center tower placed horizontal below or above the TV) and two large bookshelf speakers in the rear would be best. That would give a nice 2 channel sound as well as good 5.1 The sub is also extremely important for 5.1

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Anymore, you can get GREAT 2ch performance and have a 5.1 system at the same time. For the most part my B&W 600 series are not THAT expensive yet they have a rating of 60Hz to 22KHz (601 S3), add a sub to that, cross it over at 80Hz and I now have a 2ch setup capable of doing 15Hz-22Khz.

That will do anything a CD/LP cat produce.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I hope to one day have a timber Matched system...

Until then, I'll go with some cheap 3 ways, A Center that I can afford and whatever i can find for the rear...

At least Stereo music Will sound Aight

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
From what I have learned is like the others said, make your set up best for your room. My movie room is only 10' x 11' so I don't need anything fancy but if you are going to put it in your living room and the living area is big, get something that will fill the room with great sound. If you have high ceilings put that into consideration as well.

And yes the center channel does 75%+ of the work. In fact only in certain movies can I really notice the rear speakers.

So far out of my 400+ DVDs I noticed the sound duration to be distributed:

Left: 60%
Center: 80%
Right: 60%
Left Rear: 5%
Right Rear: 5%
Subwoofer: 80% (Through subwoofer out)