Hooking up the Hyper

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
OK,

So after looking at the wiring diagrams it does appear I have a older board. Now here is my question. what is the best way to hook up the hyper. I see that the sound and the +5v/gnd conection is off the Jamma. now I figure I can splice the jamma cable to get the sound output. I will either get a 2 small 4 connectors or just wire it in. for the power though should I share it off the +5v also coming from the jamma cable or is it even used? GND I'm not to worried about.

suggestions?

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Don't worry about the 5V connection. I believe you only need that if you are not supplying power using the jamma connector.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Actually, the older board is the better board.

Just wanted the share that with you.

Dion

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I wired the sound up. However the Center channel comes up with a low volume (the voice are very quite) Is there a way to adjust it to play loader or do I need to buy a cheap reciever with the 3 channel output and hook it up. Oh and I guess buriki does use the joystick to punch. I waited to look at the intro with the move instruction before playing. I think the +5v looks like it passes through to power other boards or accessories. there are a lot of connectors in there that do not have attachements. I figure they may have been for future uses that will not come
frown.gif

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Center channel? There are only two channels - a left channel and a right channel. The top left wire and the bottom left wire go to the left speaker. The top right wire and the bottom right wire go to the right speaker. The top wires are positive. There is also a knob that lets you control volume.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
if you go to the test menu though you can see a sound test for the center channel. the volume for the right and left are loader then the center. I am assumming the it uses some type of decoding for the center channel to make it route to a center speaker. (in my case I would have the left and right come from the front of the cab and the center channel come out through the back. So to get sound at a audibel volume out of the center channel what hardware would I need?

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
The center channel on the Hyper64, just means that it is using both the left and right speakers at the same time. There is no real center speaker. The center channel is usually used for "non-directional" effects.

There is no extra hardware needed. There is just the two speakers - left and right. You seem to making things more complicated then they really are.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well the reason I brought it up is becuase as I was saying the center channel sound is not as load as the sound coming from either the right or the left channal for whatever reason. I was wondering why this Is. since the voice are barely auidable when I play in a normal volume level but the music is load along with special move attacks and if I turn up the volume, the music will become to load. This is the problem I was trying to relay in the last 2 posts. Now if you go to the sound test area of the hyper it will test the left, right and center channal. the left and right sound normal, the center sound is very quite. Any ideas?

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey big b.

You need to hook up thar 5+ volt (if not your hyper will be fried in less then 2 years!) I know!!!

You must add the +5vdc sub power connector! if you dont add the+5 v it will result in overheating the edge connector of both you mainboard and game pcb!!! (i may work with out the +5 v but dont paln on keep yor hyper and game for more then 2 years!!!!!!) i just moded my Super nova today with the sub-power connector and was very easy to do! i suggust you add this cable!! I know i lost about 6 board for not adding the cable! (the board needs that cable to draw more power to it connectors! Yes it ture that Extreeme race and Off-beat racer will not ever run with out that cable due to the driving I/O board needs that extra power to run!

I repeat you must install the +5v cable or you have fried connectons in 2 years!

well i hope this help ya out! if you got anymore question just let me know!

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
did you pick the +5v of the jamma harness for the nova or did you add a extra Power supply?

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
i just added it to the existing power supply if you want a pic i have one sowing what i done

yes big b (if you dont add that +5v it will hurt your system!) see the hyper was not designed to take the 5+ v form the jamma cable! (the reasion for this was for the Driving I/O board ) it needs the Sub-Power cable to run it! but when they designed the system they where going to just sell I/O boards in kits! (but they never did that!) All they did was route the 5+v (the 1999 systems fix this proble and made the system 100 percent jamma (there are less then 100 Usa full jamma boards ever made) so they might be worth something later on! (see when they redegin the system (in 1999 they knew that they would not be using any add-on I/O boards! (due to the only way you can buy a I/O board is buy yhe whole driving cabnet! ) belive me i tryed everything to get my hands on one!

i hope this help you out (to understand why the 1st gen systems where not 100 percent jamma!)

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Easy,

Where did you get that information from? I am not saying that it is incorrect, but what you are saying would only make sense if the SNK made the circuit board traces too thin to handle the current required by the Hyper64. I just have a hard time believing that SNK is that stupid. Usually the power supply traces are made extra thick to handle the current.

There is good way to test this, if you have a multimeter or a current meter. Measure the current going though the 5V supply on the jamma connecter with and also without the extra 5V cable. If there is a big difference in the values, then what you are saying is probably true and snk is dumb.

I was under the impression that you only need the extra 5V input if you add a lot of extra modules to the main motherboard. When you add all the extra modules, your unit will require more CURRENT. Therefore I think they added the extra connector in case your power supply can not handle the extra load, so that you can add another power supply.

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Woa cool! I just noticed that there is a Hyper64 forum. Thanks Shawn

Shawn

snkusa.com
I want to try to accommodate everyone. Although the Hyper 64 is not super popular, it still deserves it’s own forum. What about a Neo-Geo CD section, or is the Neo-Geo 16-bit forum sufficient? I’m also considering creating categories to group the forums for easier navigation.

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Hey Shawn,
I think the 16bit should cover the home cart, cdrom, and mvs sections. I wouldnt split it into different forums. After all, the games are the same and most of the time someone is writing about something specific to the cdroms it a comparison to the carts.
Or complaining about load times.
-nick_th_fury

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey smokeya

I hate to say it but that is the main reason they made the 5+v that way (when i frist bought my hyper in 1997 for a dealer ) he told me that SNK planed on releasing Add-on boards for the Hyper Neo Geo 64 (like driving,gun and even heard of a modem link) but they told me snk want to re-rout the 5+v so it could draw more power to the add-on boards (so you are right on that subject!) but when snk did the re-rout of the 5+v they made the jamma connector of the hyper (not to draw form the 5+v for the jamma cable) only for the sub-power cable! So the system will still work with out the sub-cable (but it will over heat your connectors!) it well no hurt your hyper to much! but if you run them day in and day out your system will overheat the connectors (cuasing damage to you main pcb and your game pcb!) i know i been there! now iam guessing you have a japan pcb? there was a mode on the japan pcb called MAS/Jamma on the lvs-Ioj board(witch I belive it not on the USA boards!)So there can be a difference.

I just wanted to make sure big b did have the problems i did (that all)

hey smokeya did ya if get Buniki one? i saw one sell for 31.50 one e-bay two days ago!

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks SHawn (for the Hyper Section!!!!)

Sorry big -b (i ment to say i hope you DON'T have the same problem I do!!!!!!) my spelling really sucks!

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Ok thanks for the info Easy. I will add the extra cable just to be safe.

And yea, that was me who bought the Buriki One!

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
LUCKY DOG! i was biding my self on it! lol

ya you got one hell of a deal!

for that price it worth it even if you dont care for the game!

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
Hehe yea, I was drooling when I saw it at $31 with only 1 minute left

But I think all the Hyper64 stuff is starting to drop in price pretty quickly. If you wait a while, I'm sure you will be able to get similar deals.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
ya u feel ya smokeya!

it sucks to see the stuff drop! I mean as a fan! and a collector! i have all the games but the only one i see not droping is 3 games (beast busters 2, Xreteme Rally and Offbeat Racer) at leat they will not be converted to an home systems (beside ff64) I hope they at least drop a KOF 64!! but i dont see it happening. I hate to hear about SNK I loved there games! (can the new company keep the neo geo systems alive) i dont see it! It Sad to see the last great system die like that!!!!!!! As if the world ant phucked up as it is! Now i got to see the only system that gave me joy die a sad death!!!!

RIP (HYPER) (NEO GEO,CD) Pocket (at leat there still making MVS games) long live the super Gig Chip Set!!!!!

It sad to see these greated System go! And it even sad to see SNK go (even though they game me such a hard time when ordering stuff!)