Horrendous control systems

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I’ve got a real hot take.

the controls in Metroid Prime are utter bullshit and are counter-intuitive.

Metroid Prime is a first person perspective game, where you walk and look around, shooting at enemies and other typical first person person shooter activities, released on a system with dual analog sticks... yet it doesn’t use dual stick controls at all. Instead, you can only walk and turn with the left stick. To move the camera around and shoot enemies, you have to hold down a button and use the left stick.

Metroid Prime is practically impossible to play, I cannot stand it and it’s complete bullshit.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Metroid Prime is a first person perspective game, where you walk and look around, shooting at enemies and other typical first person person shooter activities, released on a system with dual analog sticks... yet it doesn’t use dual stick controls at all. Instead, you can only walk and turn with the left stick. To move the camera around and shoot enemies, you have to hold down a button and use the left stick.

Metroid Prime is practically impossible to play, I cannot stand it and it’s complete bullshit.
Metroid Prime isn't a shooter, it's an action/adventure game with shooting and platforming elements. It was designed to make you focus on and interact with the environment first and foremost. Combat is like the sixth most prominent aspect of the game design at best.

You can also just play the Wii version if you hate the Gamecube controls that much.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Metroid Prime isn't a shooter, it's an action/adventure game with shooting and platforming elements. It was designed to make you focus on and interact with the environment first and foremost. Combat is like the sixth most prominent aspect of the game design at best.

You can also just play the Wii version if you hate the Gamecube controls that much.

see, that’s where call bullshit. Saying “an action/adventure game with shooting and platforming elements” is literally the same as saying “a first person shooter with extra steps”. The game is just “okay” until it asks you to shoot things, then it completely falls apart and lands firmly in this thread of horrendous controls. It is just as valid a complaint as people in here complaining about up to jump in a platformer.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
see, that’s where call bullshit. Saying “an action/adventure game with shooting and platforming elements” is literally the same as saying “a first person shooter with extra steps”. The game is just “okay” until it asks you to shoot things, then it completely falls apart and lands firmly in this thread of horrendous controls. It is just as valid a complaint as people in here complaining about up to jump in a platformer.
Just because it's a first person game with a gun doesn't make it a first person shooter.

Super Metroid is a third person game with a gun but that doesn't make it fucking Contra or Metal Slug, nor does it make it a "third person shooter"

There are platforms in God of War but that doesn't make it a platformer. It's an action game, and it's easy to see that because the primary mechanic the game rests upon is basic hack and slash action. That's what sets it apart from other games.

What sets Metroid apart from other games is the exploration. Interacting with the environment to increase your abilities so that you can access more and different areas and learn more about the game's universe.

Shooting things is super easy in Metroid Prime. The game has a lock on mechanic for that purpose, because combat is not what the game is about. If you want to play Halo, go play Halo.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I have to admit, I didn't mind Prime 1 and 2's control scheme at the time. (Prime 3 can lick my butthole). But I think going back to it now would present a challenge for me because it's not dual stick control. With the new Dread, or even MP2 on the 3DS, firing missiles requires *holding* the R shoulder button instead of hitting select, or a single button to activate the sub weapon.. Its awkward for me.

I think this just reinforces that Super Metroid is the best Metroid game of all time.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member

You're trying real hard to play Quake with a mouse, it sounds like. You have to give up on that idea first thing. "Impossible to play" clearly isn't true, probably a million people have beaten it.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Wii controls.

Utter bullshit.

Yes... anything that used motion controls as a gimmick on the wii is utter shite. Platformers, etc is retarded to use those primitive motion controls on. Wii sports kinda crap, sure why not. Anything that needs precise quick contorls? Lolfuqno.

I avoided the vast majority of the wii library due to bullshit motion controls

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah. I get it, the Wii printed money for nintendo. Exposed a lot of people to games. And I guess thats a good thing in general. But that Other M game you had to play a 3D game with the digital gamepad, and if you wanted to shoot missiles you had to hold the wiimote vertically. WTF? Who the fuck greenlit that?

Did no one at the pitch meeting say anything about that? "Hey so we have a 3D world and we have an analogue controller that would work great for it... can we just use that? Or better yet a standard controller?"

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
This thread is 4 pages long and I just cant be arsed to peruse it so...

Wii controls.

Utter bullshit.

The free aiming reticle + joystick gave you incredible freedom for certain games when they took advantage of it. Resident Evil 4 on the Wii would absolutely be the best version of the game if it was balanced for the control scheme, unfortunately as-is it makes the game way too easy with how quick and percise your aim is. Another weird example but Pro Evo Soccer on the Wii letting you aim exactly where you want the ball to go on the screen makes the game way more engaging and technical, almost strategic.

It really is a shame the majority of the library just uses it for waggle motions cause what is basically a free-aim mouse on one hand and a joystick in the other had a lot of potential

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Silly firefighters.

Never use water to put out an electrical fire.

They need moar Class C fire extinguishers!

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’m
Silly firefighters.

Never use water to put out an electrical fire.

They need moar Class C fire extinguishers!

Class C is for when you want to make sure you won't be completing the path to ground, usually in regards to installed AC. That's not really an issue with a DC battery burning down. The only way the fire stops is when the entire battery is consumed or you can lower the temperature inside the battery considerably...which is pretty hard to do since they are air tight brick shithouses with hundreds of pounds of anaerobic fuel currently burning inside of them.

One day I came to work and a car was burning in the parking lot. Another company had built it and we were supposed to test it but as the semi truck driver was getting his delivery paperwork signed the fucker lit up. It only took about an hour to put it out (we had good water supply and were a block from the fire department) every aspect of the car a total loss. Nobody would take it away then though for the reasons explained in that video, it could very well light up again while in transit. We had to monitor the temperature of the battery with a infrared pyrometer to verify the temp was going down and not up, IIRC it stayed the same for hours and only after a day were we sure it was cashed.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
SNK's rotary control games are BS as they can't be translated to home consoles that don't suck.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I agree with Wii controls sucking horse crap.

I disagree with Metroid Prime being unplayable. It's a joy and a blast to play. Best in the series. Even better than Super Metroid (It took me a while to change my mind on this one).

For that, I'm still hoping night and day that a Trilogy gets a release for the Switch, so I can play MP3 Corruption with a controller PRO instead of that freak of nature Wii controlers.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
i bet billyjoelzeta's dad works for nintendo too

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
SNK's rotary control games are BS as they can't be translated to home consoles that don't suck.

That's hardly a flaw in the game itself. Ikari was designed to make money in arcades in the mid 80s, and it did. No home system at the time could handle it so if anything "something you can't get at home" was part of the whole idea and why you even remember it in the first place. Those rotating sticks may be a part of why why SNK was successful enough to develop the Neo.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I agree with Wii controls sucking horse crap.

I disagree with Metroid Prime being unplayable. It's a joy and a blast to play. Best in the series. Even better than Super Metroid (It took me a while to change my mind on this one).

For that, I'm still hoping night and day that a Trilogy gets a release for the Switch, so I can play MP3 Corruption with a controller PRO instead of that freak of nature Wii controlers.

100% cosign with this comment. (except being better than Super Metroid, you cuck).

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I haven't played Metroid Prime since it came out, but I remember it being incredible, and I devoured it back then. I remember the controls feeling completely intuitive and the game being a blast. If you're trying to play PC games... Dunno what to tell you.

On Super Metroid, nothing will ever top it. They set the bar impossibly high with that game.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's hardly a flaw in the game itself. Ikari was designed to make money in arcades in the mid 80s, and it did. No home system at the time could handle it so if anything "something you can't get at home" was part of the whole idea and why you even remember it in the first place. Those rotating sticks may be a part of why why SNK was successful enough to develop the Neo.

Intelevision
Collecovision

All had rotary sticks.

The D-Pad was the new idea.