How did Radiant Silvergun STV gets twice as expensive as the sat version

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I finally picked up a stv board a couple of weeks ago, I have a few games I picked up coming in the mail (Decathlete, Winter Heat, Final Arch), and I was looking at ebay prices for a few other titles..

:-J I don't know what those peeps are smoking but when did Radiant Silvergun STV start selling for 300$+ with possibly copied art? I remember back in the days when people were saying that picking up a stv+cart setup was wayyy cheaper than the saturn cdrom, but damn. I was not expecting that!

Is it because of multicarts? With all the bootlegs floating about, buying a 300$ cart is quite a gamble to be honest..

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Saturn version is actually better due to the Saturn mode. The cart has been 250+ or about a year now. It's all about collector's now.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Go pre-order the stv multi cart instead. It's full of awesome.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
RS has been $225+ on ST-V for a long time, it's the bootlegs that were / are in the $75-100 range. Aside Cotton Boomerang, RS is the most bootlegged ST-V title.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
You are probably looking at STV and Akiba connect auctions on Ebay .

With the insane prices paid on Yahoo Japan for high profile Shmups these days that are well above US and EU forum prices those guys have a hard time flipping and still making a profit .

STV will have to look for a real job soon !

stormS

Crazed MVS Addict
They mostly end up sitting on a shelf, waiting for the underlying h/w to die. Just like mine currently is. "Real Life (tm)" tends to get in the way of most collections. Still fun to play when time permits. Wouldn't pay that much to replace it though :annoyed:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
While Radiant Silvergun has a cool weapon system... the game is just very weirdly paced. It's essentially just a string of boss fights with some (very) short stage parts to break them up. It's a cool game to have, but I don't really don't find it to have a ton of replay value unless you really love the game system. And the final boss is brutal to learn without watching a superplay video.

Personally, I find Cotton 2 and Terra Diver to be infinitely easier to just pick up and play and just enjoy from a shmup standpoint. Shienryu is also excellent, if you have a vertical monitor.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I love both Cotton games (even if they are almost the same game) and Terra Diver on the STV but none of those have the mystique that RSG has. Not saying RSG is a better game but it has a bigger reputation outside of shmup circles so people think they can charge big bucks for it. And that goes for the Saturn and STV versions.

cutjules

n00b
I've never heard about Shienryu before, so I've look for videos. This game looks pretty and very cool, a kind of Raiden Project. While I was owning a PS1, I didn't look for 2D Shmup games, I've played mainly 3D games because it look more modern (FF7, Tekken 3, Gran Turismo...). The only shmups I've played on PS1 were R-Type Delta (awesome game and very interesting gameplay with the anchor on the module unit) and Einhander (beautiful too).

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah, Radiant Silvergun on ST-V is pretty lame. It's much, much better on the Saturn. I mean, it's cool to get to play a stripped down version of the game, but the Saturn is the best version for many reasons.

bryan

Geese's Thug
Shienryu is also excellent, if you have a vertical monitor.
I though this was a vertizontal game, ya know still with a horizontal monitor? I have not actually played it yet but its on my radar.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The ST-V Shienryu cartridge only plays in tate. The Saturn version can be played on a horizontal screen but it doesn't look quite as nice, so I suggest rotating for it. I have a hard time telling the difference between the ST-V and Saturn version when played on a rotated screen; they even have the same sprite flicker at certain points.

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
are there any playability issues with a bootleg RS cart? asking for a friend...

I had RSG on my Saturn years ago. Love that game. I had to get rid of it when money was tight. One of the biggest regrets I have had as far as game collecting goes. Been thinking about getting it again.