How do you guys play.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
If I'm going for the 1cc, a lot of time is spent before that practicing via credit feeding. Limiting yourself to 1 credit from the beginning sounds like a great way to get frustrated.

You tell me...

Damn freakin Rolento always kicks my ass in Final Fight.

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
Standard 4 credits. Unless I'm trying for a 1CC or scoring run.

MVS level difficulty all the time.

In a few cases where I'm always too bad at the game (Metal Slug 3), I can consider increasing the default number of lives-per-credit slightly (e.g. from 3 to 5), but I'll never lower the difficulty below MVS level.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Cool man, I'll check it out.

Just watched it , that was awesome. Was there a reason to why he kept on jumping all the time ?

The Engrish was great aswell lol

There are timed enemies in all the stages in the game, in stage 1 it's the birds that come out and shoot, in stage 3 it's the flying tentacle dudes, stage 5 it's the orb guys, etc... Jumping is the fastest way of moving. If you stick around in one spot too long a group of the timed enemies spawns so it's to keep the spawns to a minimum.

mcjefe

n00b
I have my MVS cab set to free play and I just play to enjoy each game, I don't try to 1cc them at this point. Sometimes my 2 year old son joins me as player 2. We like to play Windjammers and the 2 player shooters together. He just played Viewpoint for the first time yesterday since I just traded for an MVS cart!
I have an AES with Unibios, but I put it back in the box and only play my stock US console now, so I don't use any cheats when playing my AES games. Just the way they were intended.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
AES 4 credits, with the memory card for help.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Thanks for letting me know. Great job by the way.

I bet it took a long time and a lot of practice to make it look so easy!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Generally I try and go for the 1cc, but before that comes a lot of practice with a lot of credits. Sometimes it's fun to blow through a game with loads of credits, sometimes it's nicer to just try and see where you get with one credit to see if you've progressed. Depends on my mood when I sit down to play, I guess.
this. depends on the game and mood for me. also once in a while I like to experiment, do things differently, try something new or look for glitches, break the game etc, so I just put some credits in and dabble around.

//edit: haven't found anything noteworthy though... and I suck at most games. but fuck, I just do this for fun :glee:

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
When it comes to arcade games I just don't continue. Something about repetition appeals to me, to play until you get to that wall and keep on trying until you break through just to run into another. Granted I haven't 1cc'ed worth a damn but I get more joy out of the challenge rather than playing tourist.

With console games I tend to just place the game until is beaten utilizing whatever is given to do such whether is continues, save points, or whatever, once I beat the game I proceed for a no continue run and if possible a no death run. Mostly with NES games but I also try with other systems.

Alien Infestation for the DS, game is amazing, I liked it so much that after I beat it I played it again until I had a perfect run without loosing any of the soldiers, so some challenges are self imposed I guess. My favorite game Ninja Gaiden 3 NES only has 5 continues, first time I beat the game I did it utilizing all the continues, after that I went for the 1CC, when I get back into it again, once I get 1CC again I'll shoot for the no death run.

I wish I could be as diligent with all my games as I am with good action platformers and fighting games, I do my best with shmups but I'm mediocre at best, have yet to 1CC Do Donpachi but I'm at the last boss now, I mean a few months ago when I was playing it on a regular basis. Same for Donpachi, its just them patterns are nuts.

Games like Ninja Gaiden Black I can't 1cc but I like to do speed runs, I'm no champ but I can go somewhat.

At the moment I'm playing Dark Souls like there is no tomorrow, I have a file on each system and trucking on getting the job done, once I beat it I'll be working on speed runs, its a great game.

So in short I'm a bigger fan of the challenge over the experience if that makes any sense but I enjoy the experience much more when I get to that point by beating the system as opposed to being carried there.

Last edited:

Pasky

Thanks for letting me know. Great job by the way.

I bet it took a long time and a lot of practice to make it look so easy!

Not to brag, but I 1CC'd it the 2nd day I sat down to play it after getting it from BerryTogart (thanks again!). Took about 3-4 hours of trial and error on some things.

No miss took a bit longer, I think it was a few days after I 1CC'd it (EDIT: lol just checked, it was actually the next day). Point is, it's really not that bad, but it's sort of like Gradius where if you die it's really hard to recover.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I do my best with shmups but I'm mediocre at best, have yet to 1CC Do Donpachi but I'm at the last boss now, I mean a few months ago when I was playing it on a regular basis. Same for Donpachi, its just them patterns are nuts.

I have a copy of Do Donpachi in the mail. We'll see what I'm in for.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So in short I'm a bigger fan of the challenge over the experience if that makes any sense but I enjoy the experience much more when I get to that point by beating the system as opposed to being carried there.

But there are a lot of great games that are no challenge at all, even on the highest difficulty, like Gaia Seed, Assault Suits Valken, Lords of Thunder or Verytex. There are also games that require you to continue, like Area 88 on the SFC. Do you have some fave's that don't bother with challenge? I'm just curious.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I usually start the games out with a DDR pad until I get the 1cc then I go to using a Guitar Hero Controller,Rolling Rocker, and Konami UForce in that order.

Last edited:

tomiii

n00b
At the cab i play on 1 Credit.
Its hard at the beginning but u learn the most i think.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I am usually playing with my 5 year old son so we credit the shit out of it. We have this little game where when the other person dies and had to continue, you try to hit their start button for them. Kind of like an extra "haha you died" added on top :)

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
There's a handful of fighting games for Neo that I'm trying to consistently 1cc or at least use very few credits to finish. Double Dragon and Breakers Revenge have been on the list for a while now and feel pretty decent with those, but wish they were more popular at anime cons haha... I still play the first Sengoku now and then, and can still make it through part of the 2nd stage before having to continue. I'd love to 1cc that one someday but I wonder how frustrated I'd get, hah.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
But there are a lot of great games that are no challenge at all, even on the highest difficulty, like Gaia Seed, Assault Suits Valken, Lords of Thunder or Verytex. There are also games that require you to continue, like Area 88 on the SFC. Do you have some fave's that don't bother with challenge? I'm just curious.

Lords of Thunder does provide a challenge and if you notice the 3 continues you get are more like lives, plus the continues you can purchase are more like extends. So yeah, like I explained before when it comes to console games, I just use everything that is available to beat the game then I go for the 1cc. As for my progression in LOT, I've gotten to Cielo but I haven't cleared it yet.

Gaiaseed...lol, game is so mediocre IMHO. I dunno what you mean about no difficultly, game is a pita.

Games that I play for chill are NTM since I do use continues to finish the course, that's one of those few exceptions 'cause Im not good enough to do a no continue run. That's not saying I abuse it either, I'm talking about 1-3 continues at the most for a whole course.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Lords of Thunder does provide a challenge and if you notice the 3 continues you get are more like lives, plus the continues you can purchase are more like extends. So yeah, like I explained before when it comes to console games, I just use everything that is available to beat the game then I go for the 1cc. As for my progression in LOT, I've gotten to Cielo but I haven't cleared it yet.

Gaiaseed...lol, game is so mediocre IMHO. I dunno what you mean about no difficultly, game is a pita.

I meant Lords of Thunder on the Sega-CD. I always play on "Super", never had a problem with a 1cc. Didn't yet try the Duo version, but I heard you don't get as much money there. BTW, the secret in succeeding in LoT is the right selection of the stages. I don't want to spoil it for you, but it's a lot of fun to figure out which level to choose and when.

GaiaSeed is somewhat for aficionados that are able to appreciate the beauty of ugliness. It's like an old sci-fi flick from the 50's, like This Island Earth or the original Invaders from Mars with just a touch of the European take on this genre, i.e. Solaris or all those other Russian screen adaptions of Lem's novels, where you can almost see behind the papier mache of the scenery. You don't play it, because it's a game, you do it for everything else it represents.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Don't even mention the Sega CD version of Lords of Thunder. It's a cake walk.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I meant Lords of Thunder on the Sega-CD. I always play on "Super", never had a problem with a 1cc. Didn't yet try the Duo version, but I heard you don't get as much money there. BTW, the secret in succeeding in LoT is the right selection of the stages. I don't want to spoil it for you, but it's a lot of fun to figure out which level to choose and when.

GaiaSeed is somewhat for aficionados that are able to appreciate the beauty of ugliness. It's like an old sci-fi flick from the 50's, like This Island Earth or the original Invaders from Mars with just a touch of the European take on this genre, i.e. Solaris or all those other Russian screen adaptions of Lem's novels, where you can almost see behind the papier mache of the scenery. You don't play it, because it's a game, you do it for everything else it represents.

Oli, what's going on? Did you read the post? I do get to the last stage, the order means naught as I get to the final stage no mater the order. I've never played the Sega CD, just the Duo. I used to be a Water guy but thanks to ASID I'm an Earthy kinda Lord, lol. Filthy has the Sega CD version, one of these days I'll give it a shot but why do so when I can play the real deal? For shits & giggles I guess...

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger

He's right about Gaiaseed's over-easiness, it's among the few shmups I unintentionally 1CC'ed the first time I ever touched the game, without ever seeing a video or knowing anything about its gameplay systems. (I've never played it again since.)

GaiaSeed is somewhat for aficionados that are able to appreciate the beauty of ugliness. It's like an old sci-fi flick from the 50's, like This Island Earth or the original Invaders from Mars with just a touch of the European take on this genre, i.e. Solaris or all those other Russian screen adaptions of Lem's novels, where you can almost see behind the papier mache of the scenery.

I've never heard anyone compare Tarkovsky's excellent Solaris to a B-movie... Tarkovsky did a solid adaptation of Lem's unfilmable masterwork. I didn't get a Solaris vibe from Gaiaseed (albeit I only played it that one time). However Stage 1 of R-Type Final (in obvious visual ways, and its slow lingering pacing, plus otherworldly audio evoking the unknown) always screamed Solaris to me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Oli, what's going on? Did you read the post? I do get to the last stage, the order means naught as I get to the final stage no mater the order.

EG, what's going on? Did you actually play Lords of Thunder? If so, then just how did you get to the last stage (Dark Tower), if you didn't clear Cielom?

As for my progression in LOT, I've gotten to Cielo but I haven't cleared it yet.

And BTW, Cielom is one of the harder levels, i.e. should be taken earlier on, as soon as you got enough money, together with Bosque.

The Sega-CD version has one decisive advantage: you can regulate the loudness of the sound f/x, resulting in a better experience of the music.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've never heard anyone compare Tarkovsky's excellent Solaris to a B-movie...

Is your I.Q. the same as your post count? I never compared Solaris to a B-movie, merely mentioned that GaiaSeed reminds me of both, the cheapness of a B-movie and the poetic atmosphere of Tarkovsky's film, among other things. What's the matter with you?

And who cares what "screams" to you and who does what I compare anything with. Now go on with your research of the marketplace, that was enough "contribution" for at least a few carefree session there.

Pasky

Is your I.Q. the same as your post count? I never compared Solaris to a B-movie, merely mentioned that GaiaSeed reminds me of both, the cheapness of a B-movie and the poetic atmosphere of Tarkovsky's film, among other things. What's the matter with you?

And who cares what "screams" to you and who does what I compare anything with. Now go on with your research of the marketplace, that was enough "contribution" for at least a few carefree session there.

:lolz:

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
I never compared Solaris to a B-movie, merely mentioned that GaiaSeed reminds me of both, the cheapness of a B-movie and the poetic atmosphere of Tarkovsky's film

Fair enough, carry on. I might give the obscure GaiaSeed another chance later, and pay attention to the surprising juxtaposition you describe.

Relax, you brought up this interesting off-topic subject of shmups and old European art, so I pointed out a possible R-Type Final connection. But keep painting me as a marketplace demon if you want, even though I barely touched the marketplace and stopped buying carts years ago.