How Do You Pay For The Hobby?

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
Whether it's the arcade or home cartridges, the cost of these games -- and most retro video games in general, nowadays -- just seems to keep going up, and up, and up. Then again, high prices are nothing new to the SNK Neo•Geo. It's always been something of a high-dollar hobby.

So, how are you able to afford it all? Do you have a high-paying job? Do you hunt for only the very best deals? Do you strategically limit your purchases to just a few select titles?

I'd honestly like to know. How do you pay for the hobby? What's your secret?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Luckily I only like super common games, so that helps. But the shits still expensive. And since I aint got a jump shot, my only option was slangin crack rock.

But seriously, I make a pretty decent salary.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I don't buy random games constantly, that helps a lot. I only buy what I want, which isn't much. It makes budgeting significantly easier.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
None of your business.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I do it by whoring myself. Some days it's clean this up, some days it's wipe my ass, hell somedays it's my 9-5. Back up plan is to stand on a corner with a sign that says "will work for video games cause wife cut me off"

noCLip

Camel Slug
i buy broken arcade cabs for cheap then fix them and sell them then buy more stuffz

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
giphy.gif

seriously though... i just make enough money that i can afford to buy shit i want (i also try and keep to spending no more than $500-1000 a month on this stuff)... make it rain yo!

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The real answer is you already bought this shit years ago when the second hand market was affordable. Fuck paying the current asking prices for most retro game stuff. Even if you're a baller and spending a G a month on games you're a fucking idiot. I've bought about 6 games this year and spent maybe $200 and still felt ass raped.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I make stuff for the community :D giving back and getting $ in exchange to make more cool things to give back :D

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
i definitely don't spend what i said above _every_ month... but if i see stuff come up that i want and i think the price is ok... i'll try and grab it... but yeah its fucking expensive these days

haven't bought a neo cart for a month or two now... been buying hardware for other platforms though

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
i definitely don't spend what i said above _every_ month... but if i see stuff come up that i want and i think the price is ok... i'll try and grab it... but yeah its fucking expensive these days

haven't bought a neo cart for a month or two now... been buying hardware for other platforms though

I wasn't talking about you specifically. I've gone through phases, buying home carts years ago or a couple years ago shmup PCBs. It was fairly satisfying but no where worth the $$$$ I was throwing around. I'm content with my sub $20 loose cart games these days.

Plus I've always felt having a single hobby is pretty limiting. Buy some records, upgrade your camera, buy some paint etc. Life's too short just for old games and were not getting any younger.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I learned long ago how to hunt for deals.
How, I am not saying it a secret.

With MVS carts it is putting up with some rough looking carts than needs cleaning, label replacements and repairs.

Having a semi-decent job helps.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
I wasn't talking about you specifically. I've gone through phases, buying home carts years ago or a couple years ago shmup PCBs. It was fairly satisfying but no where worth the $$$$ I was throwing around. I'm content with my sub $20 loose cart games these days.

Plus I've always felt having a single hobby is pretty limiting. Buy some records, upgrade your camera, buy some paint etc. Life's too short just for old games and were not getting any younger.

all good... just thought i'd clarify my joking first post haha

i'm not just into this stuff either... i also spend stupid money on my car lol

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Back in 08-09' when people were liquidating their collections to pay for mortgages, that's when all the good deals were to be had. When I bought my cab, it came with 14 mvs carts.