How good is Hyper 64?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Hi. How good is Hyper 64? How are the games? I have never played it, nor even actually saw it in person. I wanted to play SS though...Do you guys think that they may reincarnate this game or series into PS2?

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
I sure HOPE NOT!!!! I would hate to see that happen! PS2 is a great board set! but I hope they dont make the hyper games for PS2 (that would be aweful!)

the hyper games are sweet! I think! i loved samurai shodown form day 1! and belive me if you are a ture fan of Samuari Shodwn and dont own a hyper! (then your not a true Samuari shodown FAN!!) the hyper version of samuari shodown are awsome (total 3d) awesome 3d modles! AND EASY CONTROLS! i LIKE samurai shodown 64 1 over 2 (due to 3d playing fields and able to knock the other player out of rooms to other places!) And the biggest reasion why i like ss641 over ss64 2 WR is the ref! I love the Ref! i didnt like when they took him out of ss3 and ss4 for the 24 bit neo geo! he great to have in the game (but they took him out to ss64 2 wr) dont ask me why!

I do have some fixed up hypers for 39 dollars plus shipping if you are intersted in playing this system (it a great system) and it awefull to see it go like it has!

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
I think it is worth getting a Hyper64 just for playing Warriors Rage. It is definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

I've been a Samurai Shodown fan for a long time. The main reason I purchased my Neogeo 16-bit was because of the Samurai Shodown series. I not only loved SS for the excellent playability and control, but for the incredible artwork, style, and most of all - character design.

When I first heard about the 3D versions of SS on the Hyper64, I was a little scared. I thought SNK probably ruined the look and style of the characters. But after I played Warriors Rage the first time, I was amazed how incredible it looked and I was not disappointed.

It is true that the controllability is worse than the 2D versions of SS and there are larger lag times. But these things have to be accepted in 3D games. But compared to other 3D games, Warriors Rage is the best!

The characters are modeled almost perfectly and look great. There are animated with incredible STYLE (reminds me of Ninja Scroll type animation). The control layout is very similar to SS4, except with the addition of depth dodging (side stepping).

There are an incredible number of special moves in this game. Many of the original moves from SS1-SS4 are still in the game and have been beautifully converted to 3D. There have been many new moves added to the game as well. I love watching the special moves! They are all animated so well. Watching Hanzo snapping bones and slitting throats is incredible. The spine tingling sound effects and rotating camera angles really add up for beautiful eye and ear candy. Rimiruru has a particularly cool move where she grabs the opponents arm and twirls them around her in a circle (as if she was doing a hammer throw). It is neat how the opponent spins towards and away from the "camera". I could name examples all day. Mabey I will try to post some video clips.

Warrior Rage definitely has that SNK "style" that we all love!

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the info guys. How is the speed? I really can't play slow games. I want to get the hyper system. The problem is the space. I simply don't have the space to put an arcade system. That's why I got the MVS converter for the home system. And just wondering. Do they also come in smaller sizes-like supernova or something like it? And if so, how much?

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey terry.

you can build a home system version (using the homer mod) this allows you to use the home controlers. it is alittle bigger then the home neo geo cart unit! but beside that you will need the super nova (the super nova is not really a big system) it is the same size as the hyper unit

The game speed is rather fast! i have had trouble in ss 64 1 when fighting the head boss! in slow down but that about it!

terry you sould give the hyper a try (if you are a ture neo fan) you will like the hyper!!!!!!

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the info. But doens't Super Nova cost around $700? I don't know if I should spend that much $ to play SS, even though I want to play it. I know that it also plays MVS, but I have the converter (though it plays up to 1998)so...

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
MTB,

If you don't mind doing a little wiring you can make your own for around $128 (not including the Hyper). Here is what you'll need:

1. Hyper Neogeo64+SS64: $300-$350
2. Power Supply (Happ Control): $30
3. RGB to NTSC converter (jrok.com): $80
4. Jamma harness (Happ Controls): $15
5. Male connectors for joysticks: $3
6. Smaller stuff like solder, lugs, etc

It's not real easy to build, but it is better then spending $700 on a Supernova. Don't attempt to build it unless you feel comfortable doing that type of wiring. You should carefully mount the power supply in some type of enclosure so you don't get zapped by the 120V.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the info. I believe the work is beyond my expertise-I can't do it alone. Do you know anyone who does this for a fee?, or know a web site that has this kind of info? If its feasable, I might get it at the end of the year.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
the super nova is only 300 dollars (www.massystems.com) i just built 8 of these sytems today (the Homer Mod version)I may have some on e-bay. but i have to test them to make sure there 100 percent working! there not really eazy to build at all! (it took me all day to just wire these systems! i hade to re-config them in autocad (so i can make sure the casing fits the pcb! that alone took me 2 days to do.

hey smokeya (where can you get hypers and a ss64 kit at 300 dollars at? i been paying 400 for mine!) and if i can get them cheaper that would be awesome! Are they USA PCBS with all art work? if so let me know/ that would save me close to 100 dollars.

thanks again Smoke ya

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
ok thanks (i belive mdgames only sells the japan version for 300) due to i bought alot of stuff of him Great guy!has the lowest prices on games I have seen (beside on e-bay) you can feel me on that right smokeya (buriki one! 32.50!) LOL (great price!) LOL

ya i had some one deal with that one guy on e-bay (and they told me he was selling japan pcb in english mode!) but i not sure i sould buy one off him before i say that to make sure (that info was correct!) and that copyright stuff at the begain can really be hard for arcade venders (but if you using it for home use there awesome!)

thanks again smokeya

i have to look into that e-bay guy.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
$300 sounds fairly good. Thanks for all the help, eazy and SmokeYa
smile.gif

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
MTB,

Mabey Easy can just sell you one of his Hyper64 home systems, since he just built 8 of them!

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Eazy,

on that system on ebay, He is who I purchased my hyper from and it was indead a new kit with all the stickers, posters and side art in english. I emailed him while the auction was going on asking if it was a us system and he told me it was. And it does default to english on the menu. Just thought I would add that in.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
really it USA system for 350 (that cheap) i was just woundering why his auctions sometime ended with out a bidder! (i just figured they where Japan systems) man I think i going to look him up! that crazy 350 for a warrior rage usa kit!!!! talk about cheap! I just cant belive he doesnt sell them every time he puts them on e-bay!! Cause i know how much there worth!

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey terry

i might have some form my last sale. But the ones i built are alrady sold! I guess alot of people like to use ther old neo geo controler with the hyper. I can build one but it will take me about 2 weeks (due to i have to wit on parts) I have hypers for 185 dollars (brand new)with small mods i will not mod the 39 dollar hypers due to iam afriad they they my overheat (due to there fixed boards)

heres the deal you buy the hyper and pay for parts and i do the mod for 30 dollars

you pay for thr hyper and parts labor and shipping

do to mdgames and he has cheap games! i more expansce then him on games! (due to mine are all usa games form kits!!)

i have pics of what the mod (it called a HOMER MOD) named after it maker

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Thanks for the good info eazy. I think I will probably get it. It just not going to be right now. I will give mdgames & you a call, when I decide to get the system/converted. It's just that I am getting alot of Neo Geo & MVS carts right now
smile.gif

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
ya i feel ya

I been ordering more then i sould on the mvs (i love the games!)

to tell ya the truth the super nova may be better for ya (but try MD Games when you ready to try the hyper he cheaper then me!) you can get a motherboard off him cheaper (due to mine are USA and his (most of his) are japan boards) there alot cheaper then what i can offer you. (new that is!)

well best of luck (and if you ever get around getting hyper let us know what you think of it)