How Hard is it to make an orignal msv cart or jamma pcb board?

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I was wondering with the modern technology we have today.. is it easy to make an original game?

by the way the reason I ask is because I would like to make an original game for the mvs or a jamma pcb and wonder if it's easy to do.

thanks in advance

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I was wondering with the modern technology we have today.. is it easy to make an original game?

by the way the reason I ask is because I would like to make an original game for the mvs or a jamma pcb and wonder if it's easy to do.

thanks in advance

You're question isn't specific enough...

Are you trying to replicate a cart... or make a new game compatible with the NG hardware...

xROTx

PS. Contributing is fun... my advice... stick to the shitty Tom Cruise threads first:D

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
What's your programming background? What other games have you written and on which platforms? Are you proficient in 68k and z80 assembler?

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I don't want replicate a cart
I want to make a new game on the neo geo mvs hardware.
or is its easy to make a jamma game.

but I'll take you advice stick to the shitty Tom Cruise threads first

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm a graphic designer,

don't know much about 68k and z80 assembler

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I don't want replicate a cart
I want to make a new game on the neo geo mvs hardware.
or is its easy to make a jamma game.

but I'll take you advice stick to the shitty Tom Cruise threads first

You will find 3rd party developers like DevX team are making crappy games that people drool over... like XYZ...

That has been going on for like 2 years now... TBH... i'm tempted to fuck those guys over... but in the name of NG.com I am ignoring their slowass approach to gaming and their overinflated egos....

xROTx

PS. NG.com is fun... you learn from making threads like this...

EDIT: Don't fear me... I'm just relaxing atm... if you read enough.. you'll know when i'm getting serious...

Speed3

Marked Wolf
I would assume that it would be rather difficult. I'm sure there are some people out there who have the skill set but there are fewer each year. I suspect that the development tools that most game devs use today would be incompatible with the neo's architecture. I'm fairly sure that the chip sets are less commonly used today and are becoming harder to source and more expensive. With that being said independent developers are making games for the Neo Geo in spite of all the hurdles which is awesome.

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
thanks everyone for the info.
I thought if I did the layout and designs I could learn the program to make one.
but by the sound of it , it looks hard to do.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
o.0 If you can do pixel art. I would start with either one of these three programs:
RPG Maker
Unity
or Unreal Development Kit.

And see if you can do the programming there to make a game first.

Not to mention: Programming for an old system in assembler is hard, and very few people will appreciate it; and you won't get a job from it; and you won't make much money from it.

You want to make an arcade game? Make it work on your computer first; then look into getting a Taito X Series (I think), it runs windows; you might be able to port the game to it.

Visit gamasutra as well. Plenty of resources there for making and publishing games.

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm not looking in to making money, I just want something different from whats out there.

thanks for all the info bloodycelt
I'm going to look into that.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Has anyone tried the Uzebox or Uzebox Jamma hardware? It looks like an interesting kit for projects like this.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Has anyone tried the Uzebox or Uzebox Jamma hardware? It looks like an interesting kit for projects like this.

I played a very nice version of Tetris on a uzebox that I believe codecranks brother coded himself. Not sure how well it could handle arcade games though. I'm gonna look up uzebox jamma now as I didn't know it existed :-)

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm not looking in to making money, I just want something different from whats out there.

If you still really wanted to program a Neo Geo MVS game, Jeff Kurtz of NeoBitz did at one point publicly offer dev tools for Neo Geo, but has since stopped. You could try contacting Jeff Kurtz about it. There's one other guy with them though, see here. Scroll down to "Neo Thunder".

http://sebastianmihai.com/ccd/

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
wow just saw the works of Jeff (Neobitz),
Knight's Chance MVS looks amazing.
I will contact him and ask him some questions.

again guys thank you for helping me , I'm learning so much

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

No problem.

And if you choose to just try and do assembly oriented programming, more power to you. Though if want to do something different here are some other suggestions:

32X CD
Sega Saturn - (I don't think anyone has managed to make a homebrew game for Saturn that works in an unmodded system... if you did that... prob would be everyone's hero.)
Hyper Neo 64

These suggestions are based on the opposite of my previous advice... its oriented towards how much of a PIA it would be to figure that out. But recommending them is like telling a girl scout that her first mountain to climb should be Mt. McKinley.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend the 32X CD to a beginner, it's like trying to program 3 different consoles at the same time. You have roughly 5 CPUs, a few VDPs, some sound processors, CD drive reading and some pretty awful bus constraints to deal with. Not to mention the Genesis 68k and the Sega CD 68k have to be kept in sequence or your combined program will crash.

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm going to try to start small and work my way up.
thanks for the advice guys :)

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I heard the Saturn was a nightmare to program for even experienced devs back in the day due to its off-the-shelf components that didn't always like talking to each other.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I wouldn't recommend the 32X CD to a beginner, it's like trying to program 3 different consoles at the same time. You have roughly 5 CPUs, a few VDPs, some sound processors, CD drive reading and some pretty awful bus constraints to deal with. Not to mention the Genesis 68k and the Sega CD 68k have to be kept in sequence or your combined program will crash.

I agree, personally I would stick with making a PC game first using Unity or UDK or RPG Maker. But, I threw those out there for people that are masochists.

ggallegos1: Saturn, PS3, any console that has multiple processors is difficult to program for.

Coding for multiple things that need to talk to each other is like juggling, especially since a game generally needs things to happen in sequence. Its why you rarely see games take advantage of multiple cores or processors. I think the games sega made for the Saturn were extrodanary feats of engineering, especially Virtua Fighter 2.

Even now, its usually the System calls, that get delegated to other CPUs, as the OS handles that for the programmer. Granted they are sort of useful in consoles now... to run things like chat, I/O and networking, stuff the game shouldn't care about.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Unity is easy to use, has tons of documentation, and there are all kinds of community built bits and pieces you can put together and modify for your needs.