How I Think Berserk Will End

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
As I was at work today (11 days off in a row now-sometimes, working for a college comes with some nice perks), for some reason the notion of how Berserk might end popped into my head. I wasn't really sure why the notion struck me to think about it. I really only think about Berserk when there's a new chapter and then, because Miura has conditioned me to conserve my energy for this series like a lion protecting the pride, I compartmentalize my enthusiasm because that also comes with the frustration over the frequent delays if I dwell on it.

It hit me that I think we were already shown how it will end.

There is a passage early on when Casca is imagining a world where she is living a simple life with Griffith in a humble home somewhere. She's doing all the talking and because of the way he's sitting there, quiet and unmoving, it's implied that this is 'as good as he's going to get' following his ordeal at the hands of Midland's king. She makes a reference to Guts, who I can only presume is her son with Griffith, and clearly a name bestowed upon him to honor their friend. The adult Guts, the protagonist of the story, isn't shown in this pseudo dream sequence.

I think this is how Berserk ends.

There's been this assumption all along that Guts will get his revenge, that he will have his blood price, that he will make Griffith pay for everything he's done.

I also think that after over thirty years of this story, that's a pretty simplistic finale. Especially given everything that has happened to these characters in all that time.

Not only have the characters themselves grown and changed over time. Miura himself has changed over time. Anybody that lives long enough and gains experiences enough is bound to undergo some kind of spiritual and/or psychological transformation.

We've seen that rebirth is the constant theme of B erserk. Characters are constantly undergoing transformations, either physical or psychological (sometimes both) that effectively change who they are, reshaping them from the remains of what they were before and turning them into something entirely new, but familiar, in the process.

These constant 'rebirths' are most evident in Guts, Casca and Griffith, although to a lesser extent other characters also undergo these changes.

Even Casca's hideos baby is reborn and given new life when he evolves into a new Griffith that can exist in the plane of humans despite joining the God Hand.

And that child has also been shown in the story as a naked youth with long, flowing black hair and looking down on them from above. This is the 'soul', if you will, of the child that the baby could have been had Griffith not used the body to come back to the ream of humans.

That boy is the one that, when it's all said and done, will be given the name 'Guts'.

Now, what does this mean for Guts, the one we know, in the end?

Well, we've seen that his reunion with Casca has been bittersweet. She can't see him without being haunted, to the point of paralyzing dread, by the events of the Eclipse.

I do not think that Casca will ever overcome this psychological damage.

And Guts will come to eventually accept that as much as he may want it, he can never be with Casca. And since he loves her so much, he will want her to be happy and live a peaceful, contented life.

So, then...what happens to Guts?

I think that he's going to look at his own existence as someone that lived outside of causality and recognize that Griffith was not only subject to causality but he was an absolute victim of it. The God Hand engineered a series of circumstances which guided him down a path. He never had the freedom that Guts had because his path was chosen for him long before everything else. The only choice Griffith ever truly made was rigged against his own agency the whole time.

So Guts will come to eventually see that the real Griffith, the one that Casca sees sitting across from her in her vision, has never really been given a chance to live how he wanted to. If he'd never been sold the egg of the king, he might not have ever believed he could rise to become a king by any means. That he was 'egged on', so to speak, because his potential ambition was so great that he could accomplish something for the God Hand that no other human being could.

And the end result of all that causality has been nothing but suffering, misery and hatred.

I don't think Guts' struggle will, in the end, be with Griffith. I think Casca would want all of this damage to somehow be 'undone' or 'made right'. And I think Guts will see that as her path to happiness. A reconciliation of all these cosmic evils perpetrated upon all of them so that they can just live happy.

So Griffith was never really given a chance to truly be his own person, and thus Guts' equal and, by his own logic, someone he could call a friend. And Guts will, in the end, want to be able to look Griffith in the eye as an equal and call him that friend.

So Guts, too, will make a 'sacrifice' of his own. Somehow, the belehit he's been hanging on to all this time will play into things. I'm not sure how. I believe he may somehow use it to summon the God Hand to a place where they will be vulnerable to his fury. He'll kill them and undo the spiral of causality. All the souls will be freed. All of the victims of causality that chose to make the sacrifice and become apostles will realize they were all subject to the whim of the God Hand, who needed agents in the realm of man in order to see their ambitions realized. By 'breaking the wheel', so to speak, Guts will defeat the true villain of Berserk: Idea.

Whether Guts is alive and wandering the world as a soldier of fortune or he's dead, I can't say. I think he'll survive but he won't be able to get together with Casca in the end. Or, whereas Griffith was reborn through Casca's son, perhaps Guts will be the one to be reborn, his soul added to the child's so that he can be given a chance to live a happy life that doesn't exist solely to survive.

At any rate, I think this is how Berserk will end.

All that came to me as I was filling out a P.O. for art supplies. Odd.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
hqdefault.jpg

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Guts is either fated to become Zodd or Skull Knight, or both are halves of his future self. I agree that him and Casca will never truly reunite, but I wonder if Miura wants to pull a John Carpenter and basically say that Guts will never find peace and that fighting the God Hand is his lifeblood... I dunno...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Guts is either fated to become Zodd or Skull Knight, or both are halves of his future self. I agree that him and Casca will never truly reunite, but I wonder if Miura wants to pull a John Carpenter and basically say that Guts will never find peace and that fighting the God Hand is his lifeblood... I dunno...

That’s the cyclical theory of time, but Gaiseric as Skull Knight is more like a Griffiths on steroids, who sacrificed his entire kingdom and slaughtered the old God Hand. If anyone will do that, it’s Griffiths. But why bother if a new member of the hand will appear in 216 years anyways.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Saying Guts is 'fated' for anything misses the point of the character. He's not destined to be this or that. He exists 'outside' of fate. It's his gimmick.

Skull Knight and Zodd are analagous to Griffith and Guts, for sure, but those characters exist, if anything, to illustrate how they've become allies with their apostle alternatives as a sort of reflection of what's possible if a 'former Griffith' and a current Guts, and vice versa, are fighting on the same side.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Speaking as a fan, I approach it now the same way I do GOT - if it gets finished, great, I'll get back into it. But I don't think it's healthy to think about something that won't be done until the author is on his deathbed. The last chapter for Berserk came out four months ago. About once a year I'll read all the chapters that came out and get up to speed, but it's just not the same. I don't like Berserk nearly as much as I did ten years ago.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Heh, famicommander's post is underappreciated here. I can confirm from personal experience that Berserk ends exactly like that. :)

As for the manga, I picked up the first few volumes but never went beyond that, just works better in animated form for me for some reason. With Vinland Saga doing as well as it is, it'll be interesting to see if there's ever a canonical reboot of Berserk. For now, the OG soundtrack is still around on amazon.co.jp for some reason (probably getting rereleased to keep it in circulation).

Edit: I thought the OG anime was getting a release on 1/7 but it's yet another release of 2016 version. Bleh.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Thanks, right back at you. Since this topic has already been derailed a little... I had a Berserk variant on the Atari 400 called Shamus that actually had an ending of sorts. The game had a predefined maze that had a boss at the end of the lowest level, and shooting the boss resulted in a rainbow 'win screen' at which point the game cycled back to the beginning. Getting to the bottom of the maze was so difficult that the 2nd cycle and beyond didn't really matter, at that point the game was a win. Not quite the Nintendo revolution, but that game was way ahead of its time.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don’t mind if it ends now unfinished.

I enjoy the manga, but it’s not that tight. Been reading it about 20 years now. I don’t have that level of patience.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
It is specifically his aim to make Berserk the longest running manga.
Not possible, because I expect Golgo 13 to continue running under Saito's assistants after his death. Already, the only thing he now contributes is drawing Golgo's face in whatever panel he appears. Whereas, I don't expect Berserk to continue its original run beyond Miura's passing. So there's no way Berserk will be able to overcome Golgo 13's 20 year head start.

Plus, what does "longest running" even mean? It's easy to run for a long time when you release so little (or none) per year. Longest running can't only be about the amount of time between the first volume and the last. I mean, Golgo 13 is at about 195 volumes now, and that's a benchmark that Berserk will never reach.

Or maybe stage was just confusing Miura with Oda Eiichiro anyway.

I really only think about Berserk when there's a new chapter and then, because Miura has conditioned me to conserve my energy for this series like a lion protecting the pride, I compartmentalize my enthusiasm because that also comes with the frustration over the frequent delays if I dwell on it.
That was pretty much my approach to Hunter X Hunter, until maybe a few years ago, when I adopted stage's Berserk plan of "I'll come back when it's done, and try not to think about it until then."

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's on the Berserk DVD, an interview with Miura. He's asked what inspires him and one of his answers is a long running something. Whatever, fuck him, he's a fucking prick. 20 years later and not a lot has progressed.

edit: imagine Akira Toriyama doing the same thing, with DBZ beginning around 1989. jesus he would probably just be getting around to Cell by now. whatever, Berserk is still alive in media in 2019 just like dbz. guess that's all that matters, prick still gets a fat paycheck putting out two or three chapters a year. fuck him.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Berserk is still alive in media in 2019 just like dbz.

Is it? Because I haven't heard or seen anything Berserk since I was in college. 20 years ago. I really thought people were still waxing on about the original series.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, a video game came out three years ago as did another cartoon series. A few movies came out starting in 2012 as well. Nowhere near as strong as DBZ but obviously it's still in the social pop culture consciousness over there.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
And this is all compounded by the fact that Miura is starting a new manga...god knows how it'll all end...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
And this is all compounded by the fact that Miura is starting a new manga...god knows how it'll all end...

Miura has a studio of disciples. He can probably run 3 or 4 mangas. Just needs the ideas to make sense for a Berserk story that is gone sideways for 2 decades.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Reading all this over a year later, I am more convinced than ever that I've accurately predicted the intended finish.