How long/soon into the future before we start seeing 3,4,5 commercials before a YouTube video

RastafaJones

Super Sidekicks 2
It's now common to have 2 videos before a YouTube video. It's safe to assume they're going to only increase in the future, not to mention the commercials in the middle of long videos.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
However many commercials it takes to make you pay not to see them is how low YouTube will go.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Doesn't xbox use the Edge browser now? There's an Edge addon for ublock.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
However many commercials it takes to make you pay not to see them is how low YouTube will go.
Yup.

Even with an ad blocker I still get pop ups for YT Premium or whatever their pay service is that's bundled with a bunch of cable channels. They're really pushing that hard and I just don't see it ever being a viable competitor with the big streaming services.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Doesn't xbox use the Edge browser now? There's an Edge addon for ublock.

There is a dedicated YouTube app.

I doubt you could install an add-on to the edge browser on the Xbox, but i dunno.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It's now common to have 2 videos before a YouTube video. It's safe to assume they're going to only increase in the future, not to mention the commercials in the middle of long videos.
They don't interrupt music videos with ads, like they do with other kinds of videos.
Three ads before a video would be too much, even with the ability to skip them.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I’d wager they actually make more bottom line revenue from the ads as opposed to their subscription service. They’re pushing the sub though because it’s funny money “recurring revenue.”

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i wasn't aware how bad the ads were until i started watching more YT on my phone.
how to people block ads on their mobile devies?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
i wasn't aware how bad the ads were until i started watching more YT on my phone.
Use a browser instead of the Youtube app.

Vivaldi has built in ad filtering and you can enable ublock on top of that.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Advertisements are annoying, but, it's a business and they've got to generate money somehow to stay afloat. They probably look at cable TV ad length/frequency as a guide to what viewers will tolerate.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
youtube premium... yes you have to pay for the privilege on mobile

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I pay for Premium, never see an ad. I don’t know what it costs but it’s worth it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Advertisements are annoying, but, it's a business and they've got to generate money somehow to stay afloat. They probably look at cable TV ad length/frequency as a guide to what viewers will tolerate.
it's google, they make more than enough money from your data alone.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Youtube vanced or whatever it was called. Was shut down recently.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Adblock, UBlock Origin, or if you're set-top box (Android, Apple TV, etc) has the ability to download apks, get SmartTubeNext. Skips commercials, and can even skip the stupid adverts that the video has that is made by the creator. "Oh that reminds me, when I have an itchy ass I use Gunderson's butthole cream" or whatever, it automatically skips that shit.

It can even sometimes skip off topic shit lol. Sometimes creators ramble on about something other than the topic of the vid and it skips it. It's glorious.

Youtube vanced or whatever it was called. Was shut down recently.
What? I just googled and yeah, it looks like they are shutting it down. Good thing I have the app installed and it still works for now. If it stops working then another will take its place, or I'll use some other means to search for videos on my phone. That's all I use it for on my phone anyway. I use SmartTubeNext on my NVidia shield and it works awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Is it weird I watch YouTube from my Xbox on my television? I suppose I could get a media PC but meh.
I use Chromecast almost exclusively for Youtube. However the amount of ads these days is making my Chromecast destined for the trash unfortunately. We had a good run.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I use Chromecast almost exclusively for Youtube. However the amount of ads these days is making my Chromecast destined for the trash unfortunately. We had a good run.
It drives me nuts that when I use Chromecast from a browser with an adblocker, the ads still somehow make it onto the TV. I have a Google TV, which is ridiculous deal, IMO. The ads are my only complaint. I'm going to look into the API thing mentioned above.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
it's google, they make more than enough money from your data alone.
Maybe, but, what company wouldn't want to profit from both revenue streams, given the option?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It drives me nuts that when I use Chromecast from a browser with an adblocker, the ads still somehow make it onto the TV. I have a Google TV, which is ridiculous deal, IMO. The ads are my only complaint. I'm going to look into the API thing mentioned above.
Youtube's actually running on the Chromecast. The browser is just controlling it. So the ad blocker won't work that way.