How long will this amiibo craze last?

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
I know for a fact that Toys r Us locations are restocking for a sale that starts tomorrow. Spend $40 on amiibo get $10 off I think it is. And I also know for fact that the stores have been ordered to hold their Captain Falcon and Pit amiibo until opening tomorrow. So if youre looking, definitely try there. I will be at my "local" store tomorrow and will pick up extras if I can. I am still pressed to get a Little Mac and can use Pit for trade.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I was intending to get a few of the Amiibo figurines, but it's been nearly impossible to get the ones I want (Marth, Meta Knight, Ike, etc).

Been talking to the manager at the local Gamestop, and he mentioned about how Nintendo is purposely selling a limited quantity of the Amiibos. Some of the deformed ones (double cannon arm Samus, No Jaw Diddy Kong, No Legs Peach) have been inflating the market ridiculously.

As one case, even though it is extreme, is the Lucario one- Toys-R-Us has preorders for it, and here Nintendo mentioned about the demand for figures and they "can't keep up with production", which IMO is bullshit. So Nintendo told T.R.U. that they were going to have enough and finally went back on their word. In other words, Nintendo jerked people the preordered the damn figure twice, and now they're out a figure for themselves, their kids, etc.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Went to Walmart today and saw a shit load of Peach, Pikachu, Mario, Yoshi, DK, and Kirby. Don't know if these are wave 2 or what. Will try other stores tomorrow like Toys R Us and see what their selection is like. I gotta say, what makes these desirable for me is the catch them all kind of mentality, because looking at the figures themselves...I didn't find them very impressive. I dislike Yoshi's pose.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
It's been said before but with this next wave coming up, be on the look out on places like Amazon.de. Unlike Amazon.co.jp, you can use your existing North American login credentials and have it shipped for free. It takes close to 3 weeks and other than a few distinct markings on the box, the figurines themselves are the same as their US and JP counterparts.

These showed up tonight and were only 14.99 euros (standard retail in Germany) each to my door. The prices have gone up a bit but they are not as insane as the mark-up you see here. Like I said, definitely keep an eye out for the next run if you get tired of hunting these down locally.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421300575.694232.jpg

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I know for a fact that Toys r Us locations are restocking for a sale that starts tomorrow. Spend $40 on amiibo get $10 off I think it is. And I also know for fact that the stores have been ordered to hold their Captain Falcon and Pit amiibo until opening tomorrow. So if youre looking, definitely try there. I will be at my "local" store tomorrow and will pick up extras if I can. I am still pressed to get a Little Mac and can use Pit for trade.

Thanks for the heads up! I hope this translates to Canada as well *fingers crossed*

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Went to Walmart today and saw a shit load of Peach, Pikachu, Mario, Yoshi, DK, and Kirby. Don't know if these are wave 2 or what. Will try other stores tomorrow like Toys R Us and see what their selection is like. I gotta say, what makes these desirable for me is the catch them all kind of mentality, because looking at the figures themselves...I didn't find them very impressive. I dislike Yoshi's pose.

Those are wave 1, just FYI.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Heres the Captain Falcon he said came out of the package I sent. Now as I see it, theres NO WAY that type of bend can happen in a box unless the whole thing is crushed.

View attachment 22053

He needs to show the box, no way that can happen unless it was shaking around in the box (which wouldn't happen as you pack things good)

Looks like a bait and switch to me.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Okay, been scoping things out at several Walmarts and one Toys R Us just for these things. 2 of the 3 Walmarts I have been to had none whatsoever. None. As I mentioned in my previous post, the only other Walmart I went to had an abundance of the more common ones. However, by far, the best quantity and quality was in the one Toys R Us I visited this morning. Not sure if it has to do with what someone mentioned in some recent posts, but the Toys R Us is the best option. But still none of the identified rare ones. Also, I noticed one Walmart was charging $16.99 for them whereas Toys R uS was $13.99. Don't know what the deal was with that.

Guys, which wave is Sonic again?

Last edited:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Okay, been scoping things out at several Walmarts and one Toys R Us just for these things. 2 of the 3 Walmarts I have been to had none whatsoever. None. As I mentioned in my previous post, the only other Walmart I went to had an abundance of the more common ones. However, by far, the best quantity and quality was in the one Toys R Us I visited this morning. Not sure if it has to do with what someone mentioned in some recent posts, but the Toys R Us is the best option. But still none of the identified rare ones. Also, I noticed one Walmart was charging $16.99 for them whereas Toys R uS was $13.99. Don't know what the deal was with that.

Guys, which wave is Sonic again?

He'll be in wave 3.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Toysrus deal isn't bad if you are trying to fill out your wave 1 stuff.

Don't go crazy looking for Marth. They said on the Nintendo direct that he will be available again soon due to Fire Emblem characters in Project Steam.

Crescent

n00b
Around here (Spain) I've only been able to spot a few models (Mario, DK, Yoshi) directly at the shops, finding the rest has been a bit more difficult.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I still think the funniest part about all of this and looking how this has turned into a 7 page thread was how when people reacted to the announcement at E3. "Bah! This is stupid! Nobody's gonna buy this shit!" Now look at it. It's friggen insane.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Just show that how shrewd Nintendo's marketing can be.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Just show that how shrewd Nintendo's marketing can be.

Or dumb because they aren't meeting demand, supporting scalpers (LE majoras mask as well), and losing money.

I don't know if this is true, but stores can't just order specific amiibos. They have to order a assortment of them. What type of fucked up logic is that.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Or dumb because they aren't meeting demand, supporting scalpers (LE majoras mask as well), and losing money.

I don't know if this is true, but stores can't just order specific amiibos. They have to order a assortment of them. What type of fucked up logic is that.

Yeah I agree. Why would Nintendo care about some being "limited" or "rare" and people making money on ebay. They might as well just meet demand and screw the scalpers.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
They are losing money from some loyal customers like me.

Had I had the chance I would have pre-ordered both the New 3DS XL MM edition and the LE of the game.

I'll still try and get them on release...but if I can't, I'll just buy the regular edition of the MM game from Gamestop when it's available used, even if I save $2 and its $37.99 - just to screw Nintendo.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Remember when pre-orders meant pre-orders and not :you are fucked if you weren't there and got lucky"

Is it just me or have scalpers for video games gotten really bad in 2014 and 2015? Back when I was staying up to order Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth limited edition (only 1000 were made, fuck you idea factory) I only managed to get one. With this in mind, I was trying to get one for my cousin JarofMayo as well, and amazon fucked up the 1 click order by saying "oh you need to enter for verification bullshit". then it turns out you could add more than 1 copy to the fucking cart, when they said it would be limited.

Then people had them listed immediately after for $300.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Remember when pre-orders meant pre-orders and not :you are fucked if you weren't there and got lucky"

Is it just me or have scalpers for video games gotten really bad in 2014 and 2015? Back when I was staying up to order Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth limited edition (only 1000 were made, fuck you idea factory) I only managed to get one. With this in mind, I was trying to get one for my cousin JarofMayo as well, and amazon fucked up the 1 click order by saying "oh you need to enter for verification bullshit". then it turns out you could add more than 1 copy to the fucking cart, when they said it would be limited.

Then people had them listed immediately after for $300.

Things have gotten terrible lately. I have been buying lots of special/limited edition stuff for games for years and years, and I never had such a hard time getting stuff before...it's absolutely ridiculous.

I don't have time to be sitting by my computer or phone for updates on when something will become available and ordering within minutes...truthfully the past few months have really turned me off from collecting stuff...just tired of the anticipation/inevitable disappointment...

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
This can then happen to scalpers. They thought it was going to be worth a ton of money but there is a bunch of new ones just sitting there.

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
They are losing money from some loyal customers like me.

Had I had the chance I would have pre-ordered both the New 3DS XL MM edition and the LE of the game.

I'll still try and get them on release...but if I can't, I'll just buy the regular edition of the MM game from Gamestop when it's available used, even if I save $2 and its $37.99 - just to screw Nintendo.

Moe, you looking for LE of the game? I pre-ordered several just in case they cancel out on me. If you need one, let me know... from one masshole to another. :) I wasn't as lucky with the MM 3DSXL though.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
I went into Gamestop on the January 6th to pre-order the LE MM. I got the pre-order and on the 12th I realized they had pre-ordered the regular copy of the game. Of course all the LE copies are gone. I cancelled my pre-order and they told me they're going to attempt to get me the LE copy but I'm pretty sure I'm SOL.

At least I have all of wave 3 amiibo's pre-ordered (except Rosalina).

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Moe, you looking for LE of the game? I pre-ordered several just in case they cancel out on me. If you need one, let me know... from one masshole to another. :) I wasn't as lucky with the MM 3DSXL though.

Yes! Thank you Shivan, will send you a PM shortly!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

if they flood the market like what Bandai did with tamagotchi, people will lose interest quickly and they'll end up sitting on loads of unsold stock.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It's been said before but with this next wave coming up, be on the look out on places like Amazon.de. Unlike Amazon.co.jp, you can use your existing North American login credentials and have it shipped for free. It takes close to 3 weeks and other than a few distinct markings on the box, the figurines themselves are the same as their US and JP counterparts.

These showed up tonight and were only 14.99 euros (standard retail in Germany) each to my door. The prices have gone up a bit but they are not as insane as the mark-up you see here. Like I said, definitely keep an eye out for the next run if you get tired of hunting these down locally.

View attachment 22060

Nice figures. I like the poses.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
if they flood the market like what Bandai did with tamagotchi, people will lose interest quickly and they'll end up sitting on loads of unsold stock.

Artificial scarcity shouldn't be a reason to buy something.

Nintendo has it all wrong with how they do shipments anyhow, no one wants Peach, Mario, and the other ones that are WAY OVERSTOCKED. Most people want their niche character that probably hasn't had a figure at all. Look at Captain Falcon or Little Mac for example.