How long will this amiibo craze last?

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Just got back from TRU today for Mega Yarn Yoshi. Only had about 24 there and they sold outout just right after me so I was one of the lucky ones. Lots of disappointed kids today. And I was too cold hearted to look them in the eye. :-(

At least 3x more people than Mega Yarn Yoshi. And there was some whiney bastard begging someone to give him one to buy. What a jackass. Get your ass up earlier if you wanted one so badly. Don't try to guilt me into giving up mine.

Last edited:

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
Missed my chance, but its kind of a good thing. I would've put it on my credit card which Im trying to bring down....

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Leaked images that were posted on Twitter recently have revealed that Roy, Ryu, and ROB Amiibo will be released soon for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS. The images suggest that the Roy Amiibo will be exclusive to GameStop retailers, but it seems Ryu and ROB will be available anywhere.

Other leaked images also revealed that Amiibo figures for Rover, Kapp'n, and Timmy & Tommy Nook from the Animal Crossing series will be coming soon, possibly for the upcoming Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival. It looks like the Timmy & Tommy figure will be exclusive to Target stores, but the Rover and Kapp'n figures will be sold everywhere.

- See more at: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/leaked...r-roy-and-ryu-and-famico#sthash.GymOVKa0.dpuf

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Can't say I'm really surprised about this. Nintendo should make a another Villager amiibo for this game and add him in.

I am surprised, mostly because there's been a huge Villager restock at TRU recently. Figured this game was why.

Oh well, Timmy & Tommy will be mine. Love me my Nooks.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
No luck here for the Mega Yarn Yoshi :(

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
So glad I didn't get into these. I have enough money sink vices. Talk about paranoia collecting these, hoping not to miss out on the next limited release and the next... etc. God speed Amiibo collectors.

klee123

Zero's Secretary
Yeah, thank god I'm not into them.

To have in game content tied to these figures is just ridiculous.

Especially if the figure in question is hard to find.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Mega Yarn Yoshi is the first amiibo that I've passed on. Just no place to put it.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah, thank god I'm not into them.

To have in game content tied to these figures is just ridiculous.

Especially if the figure in question is hard to find.
So glad I didn't get into these. I have enough money sink vices. Talk about paranoia collecting these, hoping not to miss out on the next limited release and the next... etc. God speed Amiibo collectors.

I am so envious of you two. This amiibo thing is probably the dumbest thing I've ever gotten myself into. Sometimes I wonder if there might be less shame and repercussions if I had decided to get into alcoholism instead.

Mega Yarn Yoshi is the first amiibo that I've passed on. Just no place to put it.

Yes, storage is an issue. Damn things take up so much space.

Last edited:

klee123

Zero's Secretary
I am so envious of you two. This amiibo thing is probably the dumbest thing I've ever gotten myself into. Sometimes I wonder if there might be less shame and repercussions if I had decided to get into alcoholism instead.

Well for one, at least Amiibos won't be physically detrimental to your health. ;)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Done with these, finally, I think. I originally bought all of the Animal Crossing and Mewtwo at Gamestop, got home, and went damn, spending $75 on stuff that I'll literally never use seems kind of silly. Returned them unopened.

It's the never-ending stream of new ones and their ever-growing utility in WiiU games that annoys me. It's starting to seem like well, if you want to fully play the game, you need to spend money on the damn things, which will be a serious cash sink, indefinitely.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Its just impossible to go all in with these things - there way too many. I do have a lot of the Smash Bros series...but no way for the Animal Crossing one. For those I'll just be getting a handful of my favorite characters. I may just buy Isabelle and KK off of ebay since I don't care for either of the bundles they are included in here in the states.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Done with these, finally, I think. I originally bought all of the Animal Crossing and Mewtwo at Gamestop, got home, and went damn, spending $75 on stuff that I'll literally never use seems kind of silly. Returned them unopened.

It's the never-ending stream of new ones and their ever-growing utility in WiiU games that annoys me. It's starting to seem like well, if you want to fully play the game, you need to spend money on the damn things, which will be a serious cash sink, indefinitely.

Amiibo Festival is by far not a must-own title. It's a fun little Animal Crossing themed board game, and there are lots of little modes and customization to unlock, so it does have a good deal of replay-ability. I will say that it probably is the only game that actually uses Amiibos. You can't even start up the game without touching an Animal Crossing Amiibo to the game pad, and every roll of the dice and action you do in game requires that Amiibo to be used on the game pad. Yes, that means every player is holding their own AC Amiibo and must use them for their turns.

So, it does what it's supposed to do. Make a tactile, Animal Crossing, board game where you're holding pieces and using them to play.

It still feels unnecessary, albeit nice to have something physical to do with the game pieces while playing. This game could have easily just been an Animal Crossing board game played with controllers, instead of played with passing around the Wii U touchscreen so each player can scan their Animal.

And no Villager support is lame. And, Amiibo card support is limited to mini games, which are fun (like the Island Survival game), but sort of a downer. Like, I can use the Timmy card in Island Escape, but I cannot use Timmy on the main board game. We're stuck with the eight characters (as of this Friday) for that until the next wave of AC Amiibos drops in January. At least there are unlockables for the animals as they are used and level up, but that just amounts to costumes and emotions for them to use in game.

All and all, I like Amiibo Festival, but it really is a gimmicky game made specifically to sell Amiibos.

I'm completely done collecting the Smash set. I have no interest in Ryu, Mewtoo, or all else down the pipe. I'll continue to grab the characters I like, and will probably get the bundled ones with games I like... Why not, if GCU makes a bundled game cheaper than a retail non-bundle.

Waking up and hunting these things, though, fuck no. For those that love these. I get it. I just can't even imagine going all in and spending bank on figure after figure just to have them sit on a shelf. Even if the Big N puts more functionality in games, I just don't see myself caring.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
how does amiibo festival stack up to amiibo mode in Mario Party 10?

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
My parents got me the Wii U Mario Maker bundle. It came with one of these things. It looks like a 2-D Mario sprite. Are these rare or anything? I know nothing about Amiibo.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If they make a Ryu amiibo, I'll probably buy it. I also think I preordered the 3ds mega man with amiibo bundle too. I'm about to slide down a steep slope here.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
So I can't flip this thing and retire on the profits? Fuck this.

That is no way to be.

Remember, you're only just one wealthy moron away from being able to live easy. Slap that thing on ebay for a few grand and let it ride.