How much rarer is MS2 than KOF 98 on AES?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Talking just Japanese AES here

To me, it’s a weird thought that two high profile games launched in 1998 - Metal Sug 2 and King of Fighters 98 - yet one is over 10 times as expensive as the other. I know rarity isn’t the same as value, but it does play a role here. KOF 98 is a routinely $200 - $300 homecart, MS2 is around $4000 it seems, sometimes more. Clearly there’s still plenty of KOF 98s to go around.

Would you say MS2 is really over 10 times rare as KOF 98, thus has that many fewer legit copies to go around? Or is it just the massive universal appeal of Metal Slug that has kept those games expensive?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
higher price != more rare in many cases. It’s possible ms2 is just more desirable then kof 98

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
higher price != more rare in many cases. It’s possible ms2 is just more desirable then kof 98
More desirable?

98 is possibly the most played game on the system to date...

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Just out of curiosity, did SNK pull any/all remaining copies of MS2 prior to releasing MSx?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Just out of curiosity, did SNK pull any/all remaining copies of MS2 prior to releasing MSx?
No, why would they? There are plenty of MVS carts for MS2 and MSX around. I don’t see why they would do it for the AES but not the mvs, even if they did.