How to connect my Dreamcast to HDMI

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
What is the best way to connect my Dreamcast to my LED tvs, none have VGA input only HDMI and Component. I also own a Framemeister if that helps.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There are plenty of discussions about this, just google dreamcast framemeister, there's even a YouTube video.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you have a framemeister, get a DC scart cable. Not all games support it, but most do.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I personally use a VGA box with a Key Digital VGA-> Component transcoder (kd-vtca3). The scaler in my LG HDTV is decent enough that it looks pretty damn good through component video... on my Sony HDTV it looks like ass though so a framemeister would be better for that particular TV.

There's one on ebay right now, pretty good deal for $60 shipped. They don't pop up too often. They do an amazing job of transcoding VGA to component, and as far as I can tell it's lagless. It really depends how nicely your TV displays 480p pictures. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Color...ter-Automatic-VGA-Loop-KD-VTCA3-/111862471491

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Best way? Hanzo+kenzei (I think there's an all in one box now) into Framemeister. Then behold the glory.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
I saw a video using a Toro adapter, looks like a good option,, anyone have tried the toro?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Toro is the combined box I was speaking of,I couldn't think of the name.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Toro is your best bet.

I personnally put my xrgb to 1080p and use Smart 2x. It give some black borders because 480 x 2 gives 960 of the 1080 but your aspect ratio will be perfect.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I go:
Hanzo (any VGA cable will do) > CE Tech VGA-to-HDMI transcoder > TV
Zero lag and 60fps 480p for the games that support it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Best way? Hanzo+kenzei (I think there's an all in one box now) into Framemeister. Then behold the glory.

I really want one of these. Are you saying one will let me use DC on my framemeister? Please link directions, or what I need.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, what he said. There's no real directions, just hook it up, and use the scart cable into the Framemeister. The Framemeister's RGB input can take 31 khz signals as long as the sync is combined, which differentiates the Toro from the Hanzo.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I use a Toro box with my Framemeister. The beauty of this setup is that is can also fix the DC's slightly oddball aspect ratio over VGA to 4:3.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have used the the TORO along with the frameister for good results on my plasma. The quality was on par to connecting straight to the VGA input.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Never go with the SCART cable on the DC. 480i will be leaving you with a lot to be desired. VGA boxes are the only way to go on the DC, and the beharbros boxes seem to be the very best for 480p goodness.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Never go with the SCART cable on the DC. 480i will be leaving you with a lot to be desired. VGA boxes are the only way to go on the DC, and the beharbros boxes seem to be the very best for 480p goodness.

+1

Never ever use SCART for DC. I learned this the hard way.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Games like bangai-o that don't support VGA look great on a scart cable.

Also, fast striker doesn't look so hot on VGA. It runs in 240p over scart and looks exceptional.

Aside from that I lean toward VGA but there are situations where a scart cable is the best.