How would (did) you name your children??

Robert

20 Year Member
The title says all. Please explain if there is a particular reason.

I don't have children yet but if I had, it would be:
Boy: Pierre (French version of Peter)
Girl: Claire

Since I'm a teenager I always thought that I would name my boy with the name of one of the 12 apostles. I'm not into religion but I always liked the names.

Post your choice now.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
The wife and I are naming are soon to be born daughter (ETA Nov. 10th) the name FYANA, pronounced "Fee-Ahh-Na". It's apparently already a girl's name and a rather obscure one for Latinas only it's spelled Fianna, heck even one of the Brat's Dolls is named that and spelled that way. Neither of us (the wife and I) like the spelling Fianna, and opted for the way I originally saw it spelled as Fyana.

As to what the name means, I have no idea. It's Japanimation inspired though coming from my all time fave Mecha/Space Opera TV show of Armored Trooper VOTOMS

unknownredshoulder4nv.jpg

Fyana is seen on this VHS box for the
1-Part OVA Unknown Red Shoulder

and here is another pic taken from the original 1983 TV show...

chiricofyana1kc.jpg

Chirico Cuvie (on left), Fyana (on right).

The name isn't something you hear everyday and it just stuck with me ever since I heard it. I always said if I had a daughter I'd name her that. At first I thought my wife would have a problem with it, but she didn't. Heck I've got her watching the TV series with me now actually. Since the character was supposed to be this genome enhanced "Perfect Soldier" kind of part Replicant from Blade Runner and all human, yet beautiful and mysterious at the same time, I'll probably end up having to make a Definition Card or something for her (my daughter). Probably equate it to = "Warrior Princess". Mysterious & Attractive. Different and resilient. Of good cheer and one who tackles a situation and/or job with a serious demeanor. Of good virtue and well rounded.

Neither me nor the wife wanted something plain nor Biblical. EVERYONE does that shit, thus it was either that or a play on the word Maria which is Mireya or the name Emeraldas from Matsumoto's Harlock universe, but it's too long to pronounce so we stuck with FYANA. If it had been a boy the wife was dead set on "Harlock" which would've suited me fine, though she hated the idea of naming a boy Grackus, which is a Roman Soldier's name (though strangely enough one appeared in the film Gladiator as a Senator!) The last thing we wanted was another Christina (she's the 7th) or another Michael (too common a name).

GK

syringe

Banned
Robert said:
The title says all. Please explain if there is a particular reason.

I don't have children yet but if I had, it would be:
Boy: Pierre (French version of Peter)
Girl: Claire

Since I'm a teenager I always thought that I would name my boy with the name of one of the 12 apostles. I'm not into religion but I always liked the names.

Post your choice now.

With a name like Pierre he will probably be forced to stay in France (or learn to cope with constant teasing, beatings, and swirlies.)

:chimp: :chimp: :chimp: :chimp:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
No kids yet, but If I had a girl I'd want to name her Vanessa. I've always thought it's a beautiful name. A boy is still up in the air. Of course I'd allow the woman to have her say in the matter, but Vanessa I'd fight for.

syringe

Banned
Grizzly King said:
The wife and I are naming are soon to be born daughter (ETA Nov. 10th) the name FYANA, pronounced "Fee-Ahh-Na". It's apparently already a girl's name and a rather obscure one for Latinas only it's spelled Fianna, heck even one of the Brat's Dolls is named that and spelled that way. Neither of us (the wife and I) like the spelling Fianna, and opted for the way I originally saw it spelled as Fyana.

As to what the name means, I have no idea. It's Japanimation inspired though coming from my all time fave Mecha/Space Opera TV show of Armored Trooper VOTOMS

unknownredshoulder4nv.jpg

Fyana is seen on this VHS box for the
1-Part OVA Unknown Red Shoulder

and here is another pic taken from the original 1983 TV show...

chiricofyana1kc.jpg

Chirico Cuvie (on left), Fyana (on right).

The name isn't something you hear everyday and it just stuck with me ever since I heard it. I always said if I had a daughter I'd name her that. At first I thought my wife would have a problem with it, but she didn't. Heck I've got her watching the TV series with me now actually. Since the character was supposed to be this genome enhanced "Perfect Soldier" kind of part Replicant from Blade Runner and all human, yet beautiful and mysterious at the same time, I'll probably end up having to make a Definition Card or something for her (my daughter). Probably equate it to = "Warrior Princess". Mysterious & Attractive. Different and resilient. Of good cheer and one who tackles a situation and/or job with a serious demeanor. Of good virtue and well rounded.

Neither me nor the wife wanted something plain nor Biblical. EVERYONE does that shit, thus it was either that or a play on the word Maria which is Mireya or the name Emeraldas from Matsumoto's Harlock universe, but it's too long to pronounce so we stuck with FYANA. If it had been a boy the wife was dead set on "Harlock" which would've suited me fine, though she hated the idea of naming a boy Grackus, which is a Roman Soldier's name (though strangely enough one appeared in the film Gladiator as a Senator!) The last thing we wanted was another Christina (she's the 7th) or another Michael (too common a name).

GK

Harlock is alright, but Fyana is only good if you wish to associate her with the trend of random, ugly and strange sounding names that are given to inner-city black girls.

That is, she'll fit in fine with girls named Taneesha and Shaabahou until she finds out she is named after a character in a Japanese OVA and commits suicide from the shame.

Last edited:

syringe

Banned
PS. I know somebody named Luke, and his middle name is Han.

I shit you not.

He did not have a happy childhood.

The point is that fanboyism or doing anything weird with your child's name can have horrible consequences for their childhood.

If you want to go weird, I'd save that for the middle name.

PS. Fiana looks 300x better on paper.

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
syringe said:
Harlock is alright but Fyana is only good if you wish to associate her with the trend of random, ugly and strange sounding names that are given to inner-city black girls.

That is, she'll fit in fine with girls named Taneesha and Shaabahou until she finds out she is named after a cjharacter in an anime OVA and commits suicide.

That's not going to happen. And since it's already a name (just not a common one) it's not that big a deal. I'd imagine Ryosuke Takahashi probably didn't have access to the spelling of Fianna and opted for his own version. It's the one I saw and the one I'm sticking with.

What's funny is that so many ppl go on and on about how "Different" names always associate with people who don't have the fortitude to be able to get through life. There's a BIG difference between a name like FYANA and Laquisha or Shaabahou or whatever. The fact that my daughter (like myself) will be a multi-racical kid will automatically give her a very "Distinct" look about her, probably able to pass for various ethniticites just like me and has the German (i.e. White) last name of Minter. A name like Fyana (middle name Andrea) > Fyana Andrea Minter rolls off the tongue. My family has a RICH history of personality and good character despite what some might think of how I act on these boards... but of course I'm having fun here and merely exaggerate how I am.

Why on Earth ppl continue to name their kids stuff like Susan, Monica, Kelly, and shit that's just used up and unoriginal is beyond me? Probably the reason why most ppl are freckin facsimilies of one another save a thing or two here or there. I would never name a kid something totally out of whack, but FYANA is far from out of whack. Most ppl fall in love with the name once they've tried it on for size, those who don't merely lack any imagination nor appreciate unconventional ways of doing things and are usually "Toast" people (to quote the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding when reffering to stuffy people.), which is sad actually. AND I FULLY INTEND for her to eventually (and I do mean eventually since the series is a loaded one) see where the name came from. With so many ppl naming their kids after movie stars, anime characters and what not, it's not as uncommon as ppl think, only I (well WE) picked a name that's still more obscure with allure than something odd like naming a white baby (like a couple I met) something like Kagero. To each their own I guess, I personally never cared for my name of Michael... it's too damn common. Would've been better suited to a Grackus, Keoma, or something Native American like "Running Bear".

GK

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I use to hang around a guy in high school who's first and middle name was Stacy Lynn. He grew up a tough little bastard with that name. Oddly, he landed up marring a girl with the same exact hame.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Abasuto said:
I use to hang around a guy in high school who's first and middle name was Stacy Lynn. He grew up a tough little bastard with that name. Oddly, he landed up marring a girl with the same exact hame.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Unique names for the sake of being unique but from people who are well rounded and value "Individuality" versus "Collectivism" is much different from someone who names their son Biscuit just to be an asshole. I grew up with a guy named Marion, toughest dude I know and he's been successful at everything he does. You know why? Because it forces one to go the extra mile and prove themselves to themselves and others, and once a good reputation (despite their hangups and we all have them) is established, people (yes even in the professional world) never forget names that aren't something as common as Joe, Michael, Jason etc. They'd remember a guy named Grackus, trust me. It's not a name you can forget. IT COMMANDS attention, and thus it's a point to make sure it's not the wrong kind. In the case of a girl, ppl will forget the average fade away face (non multi-racial) named Karen or Monica. GOD has to be a million of them easily... but how many Fyana's do you know?

I don't know many at all. The problem is that people want everything processed in this world and mankind lacks any real EMOTION other than keeping up a lifeless ordinary. I know you're not the one that was going on about the name for my daughter, but I'm just further elaborating on the mentality behind such ideas. I would've changed my name years ago but I'm too damn lazy to fill out all the paper work. And that's the thing, if someone hates their name they can change it when they're 18, or simply go by an alias. Hell I was called everything from "Leon" (don't ask and it was years before the movie LEON came out), to Mendou (the rich punk kid from Urusei Yatsura) for about 7 years. Shit most of the ppl I knew from 1992 till about 2000 still know me as "Mendou" (men-doh), thus I have to answer to it because they couldn't get used to me going back to my birth given name of Michael. Which is a crappy name because EVERYONE names their boy Michael.

GK

Last edited:

syringe

Banned
Grizzly King said:
That's not going to happen. And since it's already a name (just not a common one) it's not that big a deal. I'd imagine Ryosuke Takahashi probably didn't have access to the spelling of Fianna and opted for his own version. It's the one I saw and the one I'm sticking with.

What's funny is that so many ppl go on and on about how "Different" names always associate with people who don't have the fortitude to be able to get through life. There's a BIG difference between a name like FYANA and Laquisha or Shaabahou or whatever. The fact that my daughter (like myself) will be a multi-racical kid will automatically give her a very "Distinct" look about her, probably able to pass for various ethniticites just like me and has the German (i.e. White) last name of Minter. A name like Fyana (middle name Andrea) > Fyana Andrea Minter rolls off the tongue. My family has a RICH history of personality and good character despite what some might think of how I act on these boards... but of course I'm having fun here and merely exaggerate how I am.

Why on Earth ppl continue to name their kids stuff like Susan, Monica, Kelly, and shit that's just used up and unoriginal is beyond me? Probably the reason why most ppl are freckin facsimilies of one another save a thing or two here or there. I would never name a kid something totally out of whack, but FYANA is far from out of whack. Most ppl fall in love with the name once they've tried it on for size, those who don't merely lack any imagination nor appreciate unconventional ways of doing things and are usually "Toast" people (to quote the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding when reffering to stuffy people.), which is sad actually. AND I FULLY INTEND for her to eventually (and I do mean eventually since the series is a loaded one) see where the name came from. With so many ppl naming their kids after movie stars, anime characters and what not, it's not as uncommon as ppl think, only I (well WE) picked a name that's still more obscure with allure than something odd like naming a white baby (like a couple I met) something like Kagero. To each their own I guess, I personally never cared for my name of Michael... it's too damn common. Would've been better suited to a Grackus, Keoma, or something Native American like "Running Bear".

GK

Those are a bit generic.

I prefer archaic Hebraic or Celtic (sometimes pre-modern forms of common names in spelling and pronounciation) names myself as they aren't common, still legit, and avoid hard consonants.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Grizzly King said:
Which is a crappy name because EVERYONE names their boy Michael.
GK

My personal take on that sort of thing is that you are contributing to that which you hate. You think Michael sounds generic or common, but the point is that YOU are not. You don't have to name you kid something unique or odd to command attention or make them stand out. You have to raise your kid to command attention and stand out. A name is only as powerful as that which it labels.

But that being said obviously, I don't think it really matters what anyone chooses to name their child it's how they raise them. If I have a boy I plan on naming him Chad. After a childhood friend of mine that went through a lot with me. It may be a common name to most, but it has meaning to me.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
If I had a girl, Xanthie. I fell in love with that name years ago. No ideas otherwise.

Beloved by Gaia

Tarma's Gun Polisher
syringe said:
Fyana is only good if you wish to associate her with the trend of random, ugly and strange sounding names that are given to inner-city black girls.

That is, she'll fit in fine with girls named Taneesha and Shaabahou until she finds out she is named after a character in a Japanese OVA and commits suicide from the shame.

:oh_no: Wow, what an "entertaining" choice of words people can use to express his/her/its opinion....

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
None yet, but I would probably choose something Biblical and reasonable.
Hahsenfeld Rumbletummy?

Robert

20 Year Member
syringe said:
With a name like Pierre he will probably be forced to stay in France (or learn to cope with constant teasing, beatings, and swirlies.)

I didn't get this one Syringe, could you please explain me why Pierre is so funny?

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Robert said:
I didn't get this one Syringe, could you please explain me why Pierre is so funny?
:chimp:
True
He would get beatings outside france
:chimp:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
syringe said:

Unless he's lucky.. then he'd be a Lucky Pierre. :kekeke:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i'll name my boy henry but call him hank and any daughters i might have i'm liking the name mackenzie dunno why it's just a pretty name, that and merideth. but either way i have yet to have any kids and i don't want any for a while.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Anglophone/Francophone mixture of names being that i'm an anglophone/francophone.

I think that children should have at least one name other than their last name that reflects their ancestry. The girl i'm talking to right now is half German half American and if we were to have kids then i'd give them germanic/anglophone/francophone names.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
My kiddo is named Alexander Cyrano (pronounced Seer au no), after Alexander the Great and Cyrano de Bergerac, both of whom were essentially undefeated on te field of battle. :glee:

Edit: Cyrano was actually a play, but as the story goes, he was an excellent fighter and undefeated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
syringe said:

Would work well in any black neighborhood.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
Don't have any and never really thought about what I would name them. Whatever it is I'll make sure it's nothing really weird that would make the kids have a sucky childhood.