Huge explosions in Beirut

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Proving that assertion with hard evidence is required, LoneSage. Post or face redaction.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
We have a small community of Libanese christians in our neighbourhood and they're very nice people. Anyone who likes Bratwurst is good ppl.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We have a small community of Libanese christians in our neighbourhood and they're very nice people. Anyone who likes Bratwurst is good ppl.

I’m suspicious of people, in general, who do not like a good sausage.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I deal more with ordnance than ammonium nitrate but I know it needs to be stored like other nasty oxidizers. Appears it was lumped together in this storage scenario. Terrible and preventable.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I deal more with ordnance than ammonium nitrate but I know it needs to be stored like other nasty oxidizers. Appears it was lumped together in this storage scenario. Terrible and preventable.

Hi Magna!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Ammonium nitrate has a few peculiarities that make storing large amounts quite difficult. It's hygroscopic (draws humidity from surrounding air) which lets it cake up and turn into dense rock-like formations that can be tough to break up.

Caked and compacted AN can undergo a series of recrystallisations which changes its inner structure, depending on the time it had contact with humid air and the weight that last on the lower and already caked parts of a heap in a silo or other storage facility. Some of these structural changes make it more sensitive to heat and shock and increase its volume which of course also increases pressure in the heap.

In this state, a strong fire or sudden shock can set it off even without extra fuel in it. That is, I bet you wouldn't succeed in setting it off deliberately because as I said before, it basically is not that simple to make it go boom which is why it's in widespread use for commercial blasting jobs as it is considered safe to use and transport. However, storing amounts above 100 tons is serious business and brings in all the problems I've mentioned. You will need effective air ventilation and dehumidification and a constant temperature which is easier said than done if you store it in a silo next to the waterfront of a harbour.

I hope the people responsible for it will get what they deserve.