I didn't get this deal in school

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Now, I'm not really shocked that public education has failed so badly that some are proposing paying students to pass grades, but still, it's amusing.

I'd like to be a teacher there if this goes through. Kid's gonna fail, hey, slip me $750 under the table and I'll pass them. You still pocket $1250, it's a win win.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090421/NEWS01/904210312

Detroit high school students could earn up to $2,000 a year for passing major subjects under a bill that is to be introduced in Lansing today.

It is one of three bills from Sen. Hansen Clarke, D-Detroit, that would reorganize about 30 failing high schools in Detroit Public Schools and offer extra pay to teachers and students for improvements.
One bill would demand sweeping reorganization, including maximum class sizes of 16 students, character education classes, mentors and individualized learning plans for each student in DPS's high schools that failed to make adequate yearly progress the past five years.
Clarke said he wants the changes implemented before school lets out for the summer. He said he would approach the Broad Foundation, created by DPS alum Eli Broad to support changes in education, about providing money to pay students for good grades. He has not formally requested it, he added.
Sen. Wayne Kuipers, R-Holland, chair of the Senate Education Committee, said Monday he would be interested to know how such changes are working in other states.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I think it goes without saying, but because California's upcoming ballot has a measure (for my county, at least) regarding increasing funding for schools, I need to insert the obligatory "Fail the kids if they fail; fire the teachers if they suck" comment.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
, I need to insert the obligatory "Fail the kids if they fail; fire the teachers if they suck" comment.

I'm not even sure how exactly you determine a good from a bad teacher at a bad school. What if the teacher is really trying, but is stuck with a bunch of misfits who have no desire to pass and do nothing more than distract the students who want to try. On top of that, public school teachers are trying to teach while covered in tons of red tape. Most can't even do their job properly anymore thanks to all the bullshit governmental oversight.

My high school was a total and utter joke. Metal detectors, had a cop in the school at all times, had a couple of drive-bys done on it, one kid got shot point blank in the head during math class and I was sitting two rows behind him when it happend. Seeing someone's brain chunks fresh out of hole that was their upper nose/lower forehead is a sight that'll ruin your urge to study that night.

Most the students in my school wanted to try, but there was a solid 15-20% of the students who were total troublemakers (some of which is violent ways, not just class clowns) who ruined it for everybody.

Compulsary education in my opinion is the death of public education. Kid doesn't want to go or try, fuck'em. Don't let them ruin the school by forcing them to attend. Atleast a private school has the mighty power of choosing who they want to attend.

Last edited:

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I'm not even sure how exactly you determine a good from a bad teacher at a bad school. What if the teacher is really trying, but is stuck with a bunch of misfits who have no desire to pass and do nothing more than distract the students who want to try.
Well, I get what you're saying, and understand that grades do not mark a great teacher. Lazy members of school administrations would like to think sometimes that they can use mathematics to decide who's good and who's not, but it doesn't work that way. If students are assholes, then it's not like the principals and other teachers don't know it. But the first step would be to have the administration appropriately rate the teachers. Then follow with teachers handing-out the grades people deserve, and a no-nonsense grading policy. If people want to complain about their kid getting bad grades, just say "nope, that's a good teacher. The problem must be your kid." And if they object to that, call security.

After four years of failing the tenth grade, maybe the little bastards will get the picture or, by a "special order" passed by the administration, be expelled from the school system.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
it's not a total bad thing. If I could suggest something it would
be that the monetary sum be contributed to a college education.
that way the money gets recycled through the higher education system
and the student gets more opportunities to get a better education
and a better place in life than skilled laborer for the dozens of closed down factories
in detroit mi.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't think that schools have failed so much as the parents.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
If anyone ever gets a chance, watch "Hard Times at Douglass High" on HBO just to see how much public education has failed and I'm very fortunate that I don't have to experience crushing defeat like these stories as a music teacher, but I still do have several assholes whose parents swear they can do no wrong (despite not being around them on an average of 8-10 hrs every day) and that's nothing new.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I don't think that schools have failed so much as the parents.

I agree it starts with the parents. The whole point of paying a student for passing a grade is the most idiotic idea I've ever heard of. If they don't want to learn then they can fail. It shouldn't be the fault of some teacher that has to deal with a kid who's adamant on not wanting to learn. Granted, there are teachers that don't care and suck at teaching. Some kids have learning issues and need special attention. But the troublemakers (ones that bring guns, drugs, start fights in school, etc) are the ones that should be barred from school. Give them 3 chances between grades K-12 not to fuck up. After that the parents can deal with home schooling their child out of their own damn pocket.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
This is almost as insane as the school districts in my area that prohibit teachers from giving students grades below a 50, even if the student doesn't turn in an assignment.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
one kid got shot point blank in the head during math class and I was sitting two rows behind him when it happend. Seeing someone's brain chunks fresh out of hole that was their upper nose/lower forehead is a sight that'll ruin your urge to study that night.

I'm actually curious about this because of how fucked up it is. What the hell was the story behind his getting shot?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I need to insert the obligatory "Fail the kids if they fail; fire the teachers if they suck" comment.

Hear, hear. Enough of this "My kid got a C grade and now he feels bad" crap.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
This is almost as insane as the school districts in my area that prohibit teachers from giving students grades below a 50, even if the student doesn't turn in an assignment.

I had a meeting with my principal after the first progress reports came out because parents were calling about their kids failing in band, which, of course, is based mainly on performance and participation. A couple refused to play and waited to be transferred because they couldn't hang with my new philosophy of music education, so they ended up getting a 15. All they needed to do was pick up a horn and play and sure enough, one student asked me if she could get back on French Horn and her grade automatically shot up to a 95.

But what do I know? Band is just an "easy A" and no one should get anything lower than a 97 for a 9-week period. :oh_no:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
abster, more about this brain chunks story plz

p.s. lol Detroit

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
it's not a total bad thing. If I could suggest something it would
be that the monetary sum be contributed to a college education.
that way the money gets recycled through the higher education system
and the student gets more opportunities to get a better education
and a better place in life than skilled laborer for the dozens of closed down factories
in detroit mi.

This is a great idea... have it go into a scholarship fund in their name redeemable for college. However, I think the problem would be convincing a kid how great that is... if they are trying to have kids value education, I don't think saying to them 'well we are giving you this money you can't have but will be available to credit towards more education later' would work so well. Granted it is a brilliant idea and probably the best implementation... but I'm not sure how effective it would be for the kids that don't care for school.

I do like the college credit idea though!

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
What the fuck is wrong with people. What the fuck is wrong with this whole continent. Jesus christ.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Graduation rate in Detroit Public School system dipped to 20% at one point in 2007.

1 in 5 yo, 1 in 5...

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
Graduation rate in Detroit Public School system dipped to 20% at one point in 2007.

1 in 5 yo, 1 in 5...

Keep on with your pathetic crusade, a caveat for you, your wife is in fact banging that guy at the office.

this just in!:tickled:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
It's really easy to grade assignments when students don't turn them in. :smirk:

As far as discipline goes I liked to send students to the principal. They don't want to learn so I kicked 'em out. Fuck 'em. I don't have the time nor the desire to deal with their stupidity. They can explain to the administration why i've told them to leave the room and go speak to principal/whoever is in charge of discipline.

What the fuck is wrong with this whole continent

Well the head of state of your country is a monarch and your legislature made hate speech a crime.

It's okay though, America is pretty fucked up too.

GOD BLESS.

Last edited:

rarehero

20 Year Member
It's really easy to grade assignments when students don't turn them in. :smirk:

As far as discipline goes I liked to send students to the principal. They don't want to learn so I kicked 'em out. Fuck 'em. I don't have the time nor the desire to deal with their stupidity. They can explain to the administration why i've told them to leave the room and go speak to principal/whoever is in charge of discipline.

I'm sure you're talking about higher learning,
but spanking was allowed when i was in elementry school.
nothing kinky about it.
going to the principal's office was not a desired option.

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
I'm sure you're talking about higher learning,
but spanking was allowed when i was in elementry school.
nothing kinky about it.
going to the principal's office was not a desired option.

year of birth?

I can't remember a principal being allowed to look at me wrong (although she did smoke in her office!).

A firm talking to was about the brunt of it, so you must be archaic.:make_fac:

rarehero

20 Year Member
it was louisiana in my youth.
public school systems in the south were kind of like that for awhile.

MeTaLCzAr

Belnar Institute Student
it was louisiana in my youth.
public school systems in the south were kind of like that for awhile.

If by "like that" you mean about 20 years behind the time, then yes rare I agree.

oh, and George W. Bush hates black people.