I got to hang out with Rocky George (Suicidal Tendencies/Fishbone) last night!

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I'm a HUGE fan of Suicidal Tendencies and Rocky George's guitar playing. I grew up listening to SxTx and Rocky's style was a huge influence on my guitar playing. When I found out that Fishbone was going to be playing in my hometown I picked up tickets as soon as I could.

My friend, Jeff (who is also a die hard SxTx fan) works at the bar Fishbone was playing at, so he put me on the list.

After Fishbone played a KILLER 2 hour set, Jeff and I got to meet Rocky and hang out with him. He was super cool and totally friendly. He chilled out with us at the bar, shot the shit, signed Jeff's SxTx shirt and the bill of my '79 Pirates hat and posed for a bunch of pictures with us.

We didn't want to be a nuisance, so we thanked him for hanging out with us and said our goodbyes. Jeff and I went outside and while we were talking about how awesome it was that we actually got to meet Rocky, Rocky came out and hung out with us some more.

There I was, in my home town, talking to ROCKY FUCKING GEORGE about recording with Suicidal and the upcoming hockey season (he's a huge LA Kings fan)! He answered all my stupid fan boy questions about his guitar rig with a smile and he talked to Jeff and i for damn near an hour!

He had to head back to his hotel, so we said our goodbyes. I thanked him again and as he was leaving he said "Hey man, Suicidal for Life!" and gave me a fist bump. I damn near shit my pants.

I'm still on cloud 9 a day later!
Rocky.jpg

aria

Former Moderator
I had a law student who's nickname was "Pepsi". I couldn't resist making a little joke about "All I wanted was a Pepsi" and she didn't get it. Turns out she was born in the late 80s. :(

Michael Yagami

I've had to explain who Rocky is and who Suicidal Tendencies were a lot today.

aria

Former Moderator
I've had to explain who Rocky is and who Suicidal Tendencies were a lot today.

Earlier today I had to explain to college freshman and sophomores what it was like when AIDS was in the news in the 1980s. We looked the case that resulted when a woman sued Magic Johnson, it was from the year most of them were born. They'd all grown up thinking AIDS was permanent but not the death sentence it was when we were kids.

I seriously don't think I'd recognize any of his music but it's still an awesome story. Sounds like he's a stand up guy and he obviously appreciates his fans.

Michael Yagami

We have a 22 year old, part time web developer. I had a similar conversation with him regarding AIDS. He had no clue that it used to be a very quick and painful death sentence.

Through my conversations with him I've concluded most 20 year olds are completely oblivious to any and all things that happened before they were born.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
cooler than meeting kojima.

Real talk.:up:

Pretty fucking cool man. SxTx has been a big influence on me since I was a teen.

Sadly I have also referenced the Pepsi thing and had people look at me like I was a crazy person. Fucking kids these days.

Michael Yagami

Speaking of Pepsi; Fishbone worked part of Institutionalized into the breakdown of one of the last songs in their set. As soon as we heard it, Jeff and I immediately began pushing people out of the way to get to the front of the stage. We went apeshit! Jeff threw the ST hand sign at Rocky and Rocky started laughing and nodded back.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Love fishbone,
that's incredibly awesome man.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Love Suicidal Tendencies

The Art of Rebellion :buttrock:

Michael Yagami

Love Suicidal Tendencies

The Art of Rebellion :buttrock:

One of my favorite SxTx albums. Not one of Rocky's. He said of all the work he did with Suicidal, Lights, Camera, Revolution and Suicidal For Life are his favorites.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
No realy a big SXTx fan but i love a couple of Fishbones albums. The one with Alibi and ground zero, I was kinda shocked when I bought reality of my surroundings when it first came out. Good freakin album, guess It was little more urban / popish and less Ska than I was expecting.
Looked them up on wiki to see how many members they've had over the years, 18- rocky has been in the band since 2004. Need to look up the current tour dates. Bet that'd be a cool crowd.

What movie had the guy rocking out the fishbone shirt? Mo Money?
Marlon Wayans (in the role of Seymour Stewart) wears a Fishbone t-shirt in Mo' Money (1992)
yup

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I may not be into this kind of music, but I think it's awesome that you got to meet someone you really admire & were influenced by.

aria

Former Moderator
Speaking of Pepsi; Fishbone worked part of Institutionalized into the breakdown of one of the last songs in their set. As soon as we heard it, Jeff and I immediately began pushing people out of the way to get to the front of the stage. We went apeshit! Jeff threw the ST hand sign at Rocky and Rocky started laughing and nodded back.

Funny story, I actually got to know a roadie for Fishbone when I was working as a movie extra a decade ago. Cool dude, his name was Jerry and he looked like a guy named Jerry who would be a roadie for Fishbone. The movie was later named Almost Famous and we were paid to hang around in case they needed people to look like rockers. The make-up truck gave me a full beard for the film and the other extras nicknamed me Serpico. Low pay, but very fun.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
That is awesome I saw ST in concert once and it was batshit crazy! Rocky tore it up.