I had a blast gaming yesterday (SNES)

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I finally nerded out for an hour or two for the first time since... 2006. It dawned on me I could actually hook up the SNES to that giant box I have on a TV stand, and I was surprised that I had more games than I thought.

It felt good to see games I had no business owning. Goemon 3... I can't read Japanese, but I used to play the game with a highschool buddy that could. Good to remember him. Seppukumaru, what's up?!

Lots of gems, and lots of good memories I can finally let go of. Coming back to the games put them in greater perspective than putting them away and claiming I was a know-it-all game snob.

I love game music. And sprites.

I couldn't get to sleep last night because I was on a sensory rush.

Happy gaming.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Man, I love the SNES. In my opinion it's the best, most well rounded system ever made. For the most part, no matter what you like the SNES has it and it's quality stuff.

I step away from the SNES for a year or so then break it out, no matter what I play from my library, it's always a blast. Taking a vacation from it is the best way to do it. I'm quickly approaching the time to once again bust out the Neo, it's been almost a year since I've really played it.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
the past few weeks all ive been playing is my nes, snes, or genesis.

i conquered megaman 6, and now im working on 4.

on the genesis front im working on vectorman, got to level 11. after that i'm moving on to comix zone and possibly phantasy star 2.

on the snes front ive got a ~60% game of dkc going.

other than braid, i havent really used my 360 seriously since gears came out.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
the past few weeks all ive been playing is my nes, snes, or genesis.

i conquered megaman 6, and now im working on 4.

on the genesis front im working on vectorman, got to level 11. after that i'm moving on to comix zone and possibly phantasy star 2.

on the snes front ive got a ~60% game of dkc going.

other than braid, i havent really used my 360 seriously since gears came out.

Get ready to be pissed off when playing Comix Zone. It hurts you when you punch a fucking barrel.:oh_no:

Recently, I began selling many of my old systems and games.
NES, Genesis, etc.
For some reason, I can't part with my SNES collection.
It's not my favorite system, by any means.
There's just something about it.
Demon's Crest, Actraiser 2, Hagane, Yoshi's Island, Wild Guns, Batman & Robin, Super Castlevania, Alien Wars, the list goes on and on.
So many good games on there.
Not to mention the fact that you can kick the system down a flight of stairs and it will still work.

Reliability is always a turn-on for me.

AOF

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
awesome dude.

Glad you rocked that out last night. SNES has always been and will always remain my favorite system, hands down. Just thinking of all the classic titles for that system gets me waxing reminiscient on the good ol days of 2d gaming.

First time I played Link to the past it was like stepping into another world, everything about it just blew me away. The transparency layers of fog in the forest, the echoing drips of water in the dungeons... man. What a game.

What a system.

Act Raiser 2, FF3, Mega Man X, Super GnGs, Demons Crest, Super metroid..... and I was most recently reminded of hagane by Matt
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctY9I1_2C8&feature=related) by Matt

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Long ago I played through Super Metroid. I've played Actraiser 2, Hagane, Run Saber, Goemon, Yoshi's Island, etc many times throughout the years (and last night) but never completed them... yet I'm happy with that. I'm happy to play them once in a while and take what they give me. I don't feel compelled to play Super Metroid again even though I was hooked when I was playing it. Interesting. Not good/bad. Just is. I wonder what the difference is (if it is simply: "you already played through the game, dummy")?

The SNES is a great system that grows on me more and more as time goes on.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
Goemon was great, forgot about that one....

so was Pocky and Rocky

how about King of Demons...? Anyone get a chance to play it?

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
I never considered SNES when it first came out. I just lived with my Genesis. One of the first games I ever played on SNES was MK2 and that was what got me into SNES. I thought it was way better than the Genesis version. Super Mario World is another favourite and I was hooked on Yoshi's Island.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Goemon was great, forgot about that one....

so was Pocky and Rocky

All the Goemons were pretty good. I think I liked 2 or 4 the best, neither of which I have (one I gave to a friend and the other was "lost" after being borrowed). I sold the SNES version, and now I'm left with the one version I can't play because of a language barrier (even though it has some awesome platforming parts). :mad::loco:

I'm surprised aof never tracked down King of Demons.

Thumbs up to Pocky and Rocky. And Secret of Evermore. Great games to play with a significant other.

Steve

The Wonder Years,

I was a bit disappointed by it, but only because I heard a lot of hype for it prior to my 1st time playing it. Still, I liked it enough to score it a 7.5/10... just coulda been a lot better IMHO. (There's a mini-review on my site of the game in my Obscure SFC section)

KOD4.gif

ForeverSublime, good stuff. Glad you had fun. Yeah, the SNES is a fucking awesome system. Honestly, if it weren't for SNES I'd be OUT of video games today. I still love my Saturn, but I could sell it tomorrow and not miss it much, quite frankly. I think no matter what happens, I'll always hang onto my SNES. It's just a reliable system with an epic library. The past two-plus years all I have been playing really is SNES, and it's a trip to go down memory lane or discovering a game I missed out on 15, 16 years ago.

Like many others, there's also that fond nostalgia factor, and the fact that some of those games still charm to this day.

FHJPSFCBOX.jpg
MuscleBomBox.jpg
KOM2JPBox.jpg

I'll never forget that June '94 weekend where I saw these imports sitting next to one
another at the local rental store

AtomicShockKM2.JPG

Yep, SNES was, is and forever will be... TEH SICK

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Wasn't Fighter's History the game that got the company sued for ripping-off Street Fighter II? (Not to rag on the "first import experience" parade, because to be completely honest, I was looking at Final Fight GUY on eBay yesterday.)

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Goemon/Mystical Ninja is still one of my favorite games on any platform.

The lush colors, expressive sprites and smooth tunes still pop today and impress more than any 3D game I've played.

There's love in those sprites. :crying:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Wasn't Fighter's History the game that got the company sued for ripping-off Street Fighter II?

It was, and Data East won in the court room. It was big news and all over gaming magazines when it was going down.

Tango

Tung's Hair Stylist
man looking at those king of demons screens really makes me want to play that, any idea just how hard it is to find?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
SNES was great. Super Metroid is my favorite game. Period. There's just something about that game that no other game possesses. It's a damn near perfect experience for me.

Anybody ever play Rocky Rodent? It sorta doesn't hold up too well these days, but back then, man I loved that game.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Seth, KoD is pretty hard to find, but not impossible. Just gotta be persistent and hope to get lucky. Try JapanGameStock.com, and if they don't have it, request it in the "request form." I got a cart only copy two years ago from them for like $13.51 IIRC off the top of my head.

Anybody ever play Rocky Rodent? It sorta doesn't hold up too well these days, but back then, man I loved that game.

I like Rocky Rodent, too. DAMN TOUGH though. EGM ranked it #6 in a "top ten hardest games" piece in a 1994 issue.

BTW, who could ever forget this scene:

RockyHubba.JPG

RockyHubba1.JPG

RockyHubba2.JPG

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
@Steve: That game looks like dog-s. Haha to early/mid 90's "edgy". Please tell me that big blocky yellow font in actually in the game. So shitty.

Spriggan Powered is a gem. It almost looks like a Saturn game here and there. I love the updated look on old no-nonesense play and direct scoring "system". The enemies are a bit too generic, but at least that's consistent with everything else being straightforward.

@striderpunk: always wanted to check out Secret of Mana. Is it 3 player? I think I remember something about that.

What's with the SNES version of Rocket Knight Adventures ("Sparkster", the names are coming back to me)? I heard it was supposed to be top notch compared to the genesis version, and that wasn't bad from what I remember.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Glad to hear it Subby.

Myself, I have been having my own SNES/SFami good time with ZSNES (the emu). And, oddly enough, I was playing the English trans. of 'King of Demons' last night. It didn't really need a fan translation that bad, but hey, it's a fairly decent story. It's cool, but kinda shallow and can't measure up to say, Demon's Crest. But very interesting and quirky nonetheless.

Playing Front Mission and Front Mission- Gun Hazard on ZSNES (only way to play em in English) is becoming my new obsession.

Me post more late are.

Capcom was the greatest during the SNES days. I mostly keep the SNES for their stuff, King of Dragons, Magic Sword, Knights of the Round, UN Squadron...just superb stuff.

I really need a copy of Pinball Dreams. Always wanted to play that one.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I remember an SNES RPG that was PAL only... was all the import rage in the day with no way to play it. Anyone remember what game that might be? I'd like to see what that game looks like on youTube, and for those that never got to play it - now I hear some of the SNES/NES 2in1 consoles play PAL games.

I'm sure it's been playable on emulators for the past 10 years, but I just never thought much about that.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
TERRANIGMA

I remember an SNES RPG that was PAL only... was all the import rage in the day with no way to play it. Anyone remember what game that might be? I'd like to see what that game looks like on youTube, and for those that never got to play it - now I hear some of the SNES/NES 2in1 consoles play PAL games.

I'm sure it's been playable on emulators for the past 10 years, but I just never thought much about that.

256px-Terranigma_box.jpg

The final in the "trilogy" of Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia. Never played it myself, but I enjoyed SB/IoG quite a bit. Good ARPG's they are :)

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
That's it. I never knew it was part of a series.

Steve, I'm glad you're nerdier than me.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
^ lol :p

Yeah, I know way too much crap about this system. Scary thing is, there are others who know even more. But when you're serious about something, and been at it for a while, you're bound to pick up nuggets of information here and there.