I IPS’ed my NGPC and it looks great!

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
The mod is real easy to do. I also did the replacement shell thingie so I could keep the originals original. Because you need to cut in the plastic. I also desoldered the touch sensors because they were annoying.DD253E43-471E-4232-AAA2-7F10F793B7A2.jpegB43A28B9-7808-41E2-8409-07635D42E003.jpegCF5E683D-41FE-49FE-BBEE-0EF8466AB68F.jpegEE9AC99B-B81E-4A02-A81D-E39284059ECA.jpeg824E37F7-515B-46AE-8719-835F7E0058A5.jpeg

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Dope!

God, every time yall post your NGPCs I want one so bad, but I know I won't play it as much as I think...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
What a great little system. I wanna get another one to IPS it but they are insanely priced right now

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
For me it was my teenage favourite. I bought it with my own money at the age of 16. First a b/w on import then the NGPC when it became available in Belgium in regular stores. First time that an SNK gamesystem was so widely available here. I bought a lot of games and enjoyed all of them (well except dive alert). I convinced two friends to purchase one aswel. This is actually the system of one of those friends, it was pretty beat up. Sure I had a PlayStation. But this I could play while pretending to be studying. Win-win

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, when the NGP was current it was my main system. I played the SHIT out of it. I still have the same two systems that I had back then. One will get modded and one will stay standard.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Yeah, when the NGP was current it was my main system. I played the SHIT out of it. I still have the same two systems that I had back then. One will get modded and one will stay standard.
Me too I have my NGP and NGPC from back then. Btw are you signofzeta from S:NGP?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Ok, so I did the work a week or two ago. I had some issues but it’s all together now and works fine. Here are my observations.

The “optional” wiring can be tricky. Wiring it to a %100 Grade A made in Japan PCB is no problem at all, the new screen driver PCB has solder pads not so durable…I’ll leave it at that.

The pre-wired touch sensors are bullshit. You will accidentally hit them constantly forcing you to cycle through every stupid Radio Shack ghetto blaster color pallet to get back to the only usable one. I hate this feature soooooo much.

“Retro pixel” mode is pretty much required and of course its default OFF. So you “need” the OSD wires soldered in to turn it on…right? I don’t know. I have in fact somehow switched it on and off with just the touch sensors. Too many fucking inputs for a damned screen!

Battery life isn’t too bad as long as you use the best batteries on the planet, either Neo Champ or Enerlop. If you try to use a flash card, this screen, and cheap AAs it probably won’t even power up. The vast VAST majority of all current is going to the new screen. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if batterie wires or something ended up getting brown from easily several times the current going through them nonstop. Noob collectors who buy shit all day and never play it will never complain about this.

Super bright sunlight, which is where the NGPC/NNGPC looked FLAWLESS is now a joke, the sun totally overwhelms it.

When I switch the system off to change carts the screen doesn’t want to power up with the rest of the system. I have to wait like 30 seconds. Tards flipping channels on their flash carts won’t care, I use only real carts so it pisses me off a lot.

The combination of the stupid touch buttons, stupid modes, and insane current draw basically turn your perfect piece of 90s Japan into janky Chinesium eBay bullshit. The if you buy the replica shell to go with it your NGP experience has you literally not touching or seeing or even in some cases hearing ANYTHING made by SNK, only the ROM on your flash cart is theirs and the hidden away PCB. To me this just isn’t right.

HOWEVER, attached is a picture of my playing Densha de Go! in front of a fire…and I’ve wanted to do that for literally decades. For this there is no substitute, you need the no-name Chinese bullshit, and therefore I am grateful for the bullshit. I will be keeping my old screen though for when this one dies for no reason in a year or three.

I do NOT recommend doing this to your only NGP.

3B6D0BE6-9022-49CC-B8D9-CD00531C4699.jpeg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Fuck if I know, the thing didn't even come with instructions.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Fuck if I know, the thing didn't even come with instructions.
Start +a +b = menu
B scroll down
A scroll up
Start + a = select option
Tap finger beside expansion port on top system = brightness increase
Hold finger on same spot = toggle battery indicator on and off.

Also, id recommend just removing both touch sensors.

NGLad

n00b
I love the IPS screen! I just recently installed it on my slim model, but the screen is further to the right. (It doesn't bug me too much)
Even though the actual screen is centered perfectly (I triple checked). I think I need to solder the wires to control
the screen position. But with the slim, everything fit really tight! Anyone else find this?

QWqbHSl.jpg

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
So. Yeah, you should have soldered first go round, it will be harder to keep everything perfect next time you open it.
Far worse than GBAs, ngpcs attract dust terribly. The hardest part finishing the consoles i sold was to keep the dust out. I hate dust. Ocd about that one thing I guess.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, the main reason I bothered with the wires was just in case I needed to center the screen...which it turned out was perfect. That and the "retro" mode but in fact that can be turned on and off by holding both touch sensors for a couple of seconds...I think. There is some way to do it. It seems to be on in NGLad's system and he never hooked the wires up.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Yeah, the main reason I bothered with the wires was just in case I needed to center the screen...which it turned out was perfect. That and the "retro" mode but in fact that can be turned on and off by holding both touch sensors for a couple of seconds...I think. There is some way to do it. It seems to be on in NGLad's system and he never hooked the wires up.
Cut the stupid touch sensors out. Theyre for customers, not users/players

NGLad

n00b
So. Yeah, you should have soldered first go round, it will be harder to keep everything perfect next time you open it.
Far worse than GBAs, ngpcs attract dust terribly. The hardest part finishing the consoles i sold was to keep the dust out. I hate dust. Ocd about that one thing I guess.
You're right about it being difficult to fix after installation. I'm embarrassed to admit, but I went through the first screen by opening it up after install. I wanted to see if I could get the wires to fit better and I must have pushed too hard when I closed it up and got some dead pixels. Bummer.

So with my second attempt I noticed the screen was off by a bit, and didn't want to risk trying to fix it.
I have a stock, slim sitting in a box though; I may attempt a third install and do it right, but I kind of like the idea of having a stock NGP.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
You're right about it being difficult to fix after installation. I'm embarrassed to admit, but I went through the first screen by opening it up after install. I wanted to see if I could get the wires to fit better and I must have pushed too hard when I closed it up and got some dead pixels. Bummer.

So with my second attempt I noticed the screen was off by a bit, and didn't want to risk trying to fix it.
I have a stock, slim sitting in a box though; I may attempt a third install and do it right, but I kind of like the idea of having a stock NGP.
If you need assistance or anything, PM me. The slims can be a pain.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm not tracking these Retro modes and a OSD, i need to see if mine even has that. It has the touch brightness adjustment but that's it from what I saw