I like to play the first World Heroes

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I do feel WH2 edges out the first one a bit, but they are both fantastic.

No deathmatch mode in 2J or Perfect mean those are a massive downgrade.
I like Jet a lot but it blows that the Deathmatch was lost.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Hey guys, thanks for bumping this. Coincidentally, last night I saw a video that reminded me of Hanzou's stage. And after doing some research, I finally found out Hanzou's stage is indeed a real place.

It is the outer gate (Kaminarimon Gate) of Sensoji Temple in Tokyo.

9a15797e04b75c0d.jpg

cb439440bf44a297.jpg

Did anyone else know this?
Wish there was a full sprite rip of the whole stage.

metouto

n00b
They are all unique and worth seeing what special thing they can do.

Dragon can bounce off the wall.
Janne can bounce off someone with her sword.
Hanzo and Fuuma can double jump.

Great game, sincerely. Lot of heart in it. You can easily 1CC with Rasputin, crouching down with light kick all the way through.
thank you for your suggestion

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hey guys, thanks for bumping this. Coincidentally, last night I saw a video that reminded me of Hanzou's stage. And after doing some research, I finally found out Hanzou's stage is indeed a real place.

View attachment 62333

View attachment 62334

You’ve prob already seen this but there’s some cool backgrounds here, unfortunately not the one you’re looking for.

masschamber

NEST Puppet
15 Year Member
World heroes was the first arcade game i cleared on 1 credit. (Thank you dragon you glorious broken bastard)
I'll always have a soft spot for it plus its not with out its charm
What other fighter has such a brazenly derivative cast
Not ken and Ryu
Not Joan of arc
Not ghengis khan
Not hulk hogan
Not Bruce Lee
Rasputin and a generic nazi (kinda surprised they got away with Brocken even back then guess to obscure nobody cared)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Since this thread got bumped again, has anyone ever seen a fighting game where you get the crowd chanting the character's name on a dizzy? I think World Heroes might be the only game that does it.

Fuuuuma! Fuuuuuma!

metouto

n00b
World heroes was the first arcade game i cleared on 1 credit. (Thank you dragon you glorious broken bastard)
I'll always have a soft spot for it plus its not with out its charm
What other fighter has such a brazenly derivative cast
Not ken and Ryu
Not Joan of arc
Not ghengis khan
Not hulk hogan
Not Bruce Lee
Rasputin and a generic nazi (kinda surprised they got away with Brocken even back then guess to obscure nobody cared)
you have a nice collection

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The world heroes and the fatal fury are the first ones I saw in the arcades. I was amazed with the music of Hanzo and the stage and the fatal fury with the stage of tung fu rue when it transforms and it is raining.

halk3n

n00b
Honestly, World Heroes 1 might be the tankiest fighter ever. There is a legit unique tactical approach to playing this game above others solely because of this esoteric feature.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Esoteric is a funny way of describing clunky.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

View attachment 62333

View attachment 62334

Yeah, that's the post.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
So umm, there is a point to getting the first one then If you’ve already got 2 Jet? It’s fun in its own right?

I actually prefer AOF 1 to AOF 2 alot.

I see you, copy of WH1 AES on Skywaypro. I also see you, payday.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
So I might be 1 year late to the party but I’m thinking of finally trying to get into the game. Any helpful tips for a new player? What kind of hero should I look into playing first?
This thread aint no party. You’re 30 years late to the party. Call some bitches bro.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
The first one has a certain charm to it for sure. But yeah, sluggish and tanky are accurate adjectives to describe the gameplay. I wouldn't describe any of the four WH games as good. I do have memories of when WHII came out. It was around the time that MKII and the latest SFII (super?) were out. The latter two cabs were always surrounded by kids, so I played my share of WHII because it was something to do. I became better than the other kids at it as a result, and I can recall my opponents saying, "this game sucks." Haha. Yeah, even then, as a kid, I could tell how mediocre the gameplay was compared to those other games. Honestly, the entire World Heroes series stacked up poorly to the competition and made SNK look bad. I guess some of you have some nostalgia for them, but even in my arcade memories, they were in the lower tier of fighters.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
My favorite thing about the original WH (aside from the music) is the Punch Out-esque way it just doesn’t gaf in its selection of its national heroes. Like, that’s just Hulk Hogan, and Bruce Lee. And they didn’t puss out on it with Muscle Power either, like they did in the next two games..the shirt tear and everything. And when they needed a German? They went with a fucking SS Captain.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I’m right there with ya, LS. :buttrock:
This game is an absolute guilty pleasure for me and always has been. Though admittedly, when I play through this one it’s usually on a ngcd. The arranged soundtrack by K.M. Brothers and Kenji Kondoh is way better than it had any right to be.

Starting at 1:11 on this track, Kenji Kondoh and crew didn’t need to go wild like this for Hanzou’s theme lol

Kenji bringing out the guitar at 1:02 for Fuuma’s theme:

The heavy/exaggerated hit stun, auto-doubles, and slower pace almost make the game feel like an early melee-focused version of SS1 thanks to normals being ridiculously viable in this game lol

According to Ken Lobb, we can also thank it for Killer Instinct too :lolz::

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Given that technical writeup on WHP, I think I'll have to give it a more thorough go.

Aside from deathmatch mode, what I've liked about WH2 is its simplicity, makes it more accessible. A good choice for playing with people who don't know 1v1 Fighters much.