I would like to buy a Neo Geo AES :-)

Orochi78

n00b
Greetings to all, I have been monitoring several sales advertisements for this fantastic console for some time that I owned but alas sold some time ago and would like to buy it back. I have a large budget but I would like to be sure of what I buy. Now on the well-known site I have seen several offers, including low serial numbers, including certificates. You can trust the goodness of the pieces offered, in the sense, the boxes usually correspond to the console even if the serial does not appear on the box itself, there are other things that must be checked in addition to the presence of all the accessories and obviously functioning? thanks to those who want to intervene.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
By “large budget” you mean like $50,000 minimum, for an OK game collection, right? AES is super expensive for the sake of being expensive. There are no shortcuts to buying the most expensive console ever. The system itself is cheap compared to even an average game.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Low serial doesn’t really mean anything, especially today when systems could have been board swapped for various reason.
Check the board revision.

The very early model units apparently have the best audio circuitry. But honestly if you really care about audio/video fidelity then just get a MVS.

Orochi78

n00b
I had the last console four years ago, I never had overpriced cartridges except metal slug 3 in the Japanese version. I took off a bit 'the desire with the MVSX of snk but the charm of the cartridges is something else. I also had the king of fighters 97-98-99 always Japanese and world heroes 2. My dream would be the console and recover the king of fighters 2002 and 2003

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There are tons of cheap AES's on ebay. Try to get a working one in decent condition. Be ready to get a Unibios installed, RGB bypass and audio fix done, depending on which motherboard you get. They all can be made to be excellent.

Just stick with MVS for the super expensive games. For some the more common AES games are enough to scratch the itch.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
You guys don't get it. He doesn't want a "cheap" AES. He doesn't want the "best audio quality revision" AES. Fuck no he doesn't want a MVS. He wants to be a big tymer in 2021.

Nice of you guys to assume someone who only wrote about serial numbers and "certificates" thinks otherwise though.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Is this a robo post? I'm not even sure what exactly op is trying to say/ask... I feel like I'm reading a spam email or something.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
The AES blows cock. It doesn't even have Puzzle Bobble. And really, plugging in a fucking separate headphone jack just to get stereo sound? Whatever.

Just get a consolized MVS, or--if you're really heterosexual--just use MAME like a man. Puzzle Bobble and Samurai Shodown 2 are the only two games still worth playing anyway.

Orochi78

n00b
I started looking around but I'm not very familiar with the mvs or the bios system. Let's say that I would have focused on an AES console because it is the one I had in the past but I can broaden my horizons. In reality, I had never had problems with the serial consoles and after some time I find myself looking at consoles on sale with different characteristics and very different prices, so I was wondering and asking the forum if these things were really so important
but I understand that in reality they are not that much

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
As said above, serial doesn't mean much, it's the board revision that matters - to some extent.
You can get very clean image (and sound) from a 3-6 japanese console provided you rgb-fix it. They're common which means that if you want the nice looking stuff, you are very likely to find one in very good cosmetic condition (box and plastics) for a decent price.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Greetings to all, I have been monitoring several sales advertisements for this fantastic console for some time that I owned but alas sold some time ago and would like to buy it back. I have a large budget but I would like to be sure of what I buy. Now on the well-known site I have seen several offers, including low serial numbers, including certificates. You can trust the goodness of the pieces offered, in the sense, the boxes usually correspond to the console even if the serial does not appear on the box itself, there are other things that must be checked in addition to the presence of all the accessories and obviously functioning? thanks to those who want to intervene.
There are a ton for sale on ebay, bye.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This guy needs an intervention.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I started looking around but I'm not very familiar with the mvs or the bios system. Let's say that I would have focused on an AES console because it is the one I had in the past but I can broaden my horizons. In reality, I had never had problems with the serial consoles and after some time I find myself looking at consoles on sale with different characteristics and very different prices, so I was wondering and asking the forum if these things were really so important

If you don’t even know what an MVS is you have no business getting into any Neo thing unless your plan is to collect slabbed games. There are no wrong moves towards collectardation if that is your goal.

If your purpose is to play ANY of this stuff you should be aware that you’re headed down a path where games are all $1000 each and you can’t touch them for fear of “insertion marks”. It’s no place for players.

FYI the MVS is the arcade system Neo Geo that %99 of Neo fans played games on back in the day. The AES was a home version of that same thing for a very small percentage of total Neo maniax. At the time AES was much cheaper than MVS but since then the economies have reversed. At this point it’s common for the price difference between the MVS and AES copies of the EXACT SAME GAME to be like $70MVS vs $2000AES or even crazier, and of course they aren’t interchangeable.

If you have nothing now, zero, and your going to play this stuff and you aren’t a Saudi prince, MVS is the only sane place to start. This has been true since the late 90s when many many arcades around the world closed down and flooded the market with cheap MVS carts.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was just trying to point you in the right direction so you're at least aware of what can be done to make the experience perfect. You can buy any AES console in good condition from ebay and you'll be fine to start playing. You can always consider mods to the console later if desired.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'd suggest going the consolized MVS route. As many members here stated it's just the saner, cheaper route to play authentic games. Prime example is a Home Console version of Neo Turf masters goes for around 10,000$ USD whereas the MVS Version is around 100.00$ USD. Plenty of people make quality consolized MVS systems like Omega Arcade Works. You could also get a Super Gun and an MVS 1 Slot for around the same price. And if you want to make your shelf look nice you can always get Shock Boxes. Also consider that MVS Boards are in much higher supply than Home Console Carts. If you're strictly into collecting have fun with that. be ready to bleed money. No one around here really cares about certificates or any of that nonsense. Most of us are people who play their games. make the best choice for yourself and game on.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You can buy a four slot big red, with games, for the price of a single home cart in some cases, depending on the exact titles and luck, of course. AES really makes zero sense on any level. Even the system itself...comes with medicore controllers, needs mods or whatever, you may as well be modding an MVS.

Orochi78

n00b
I thank everyone for the interventions, I did not want to put straw on the fire with arguments that I see are not frowned upon. I have been out of the Neo Geo scene for several years and before making any choice I was pleased to share my doubts with this community and people who know more than me for sure. seeing that now the retrogame has become like many other passions a source of profit. I will inquire about mvs. In the end, certainly that my intent is to play and have fun and if I can save money, so be it.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I mean, I would get a AES, a few common fun carts, and a NeoSD Pro and call it a day. I like the old style black AES controllers so I don’t know what BillyGoatFucker is on about there.

I do agree with the sentiment that getting in heavy with AES now is a silly thing to do. But if you’ve got the money, who are we to stop you?

But personally, I’d spend that $xxxxx on something else: a once in a lifetime trip, a deposit on a home, a sports car… and still have change for a MVS or basic AES setup