I would love this, but I sure to get flamed here :-)

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
I wish someone would make a SD based cartridge for the MVS/AES like the Acekard for the DS. It would be even more awesome if it were double-sided one side had AES connection and the other the has a MVS connection. Almost if you put these protos in the machine from "The Fly" and then upgraded it to use SD cards instead of small flash cards so you could put more than one game on it.

http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/topsecret1.htm
http://www.neogeoprotos.com/games/topsecret2.htm

While I like my 120-in-1, the hacks are littered all over it and it is missing a few games I like. I only own 4 real MVS carts, and the 120 fills in the gaps.

Now let the flaming of me begin :loco:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
There is (kinda) one for the AES:

MGD2

http://www.gamechoiceclub.com/navigateProduct.asp?product_id=30

NEO-GEO_MGD2_Instruction.jpg

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The work involved in creating one is likely not worth it. It's not as simple as "put ROMs on an SD card and have the Neo Geo read them."

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
eventually the chinese bootlegers will make one as they already have all the know how to make cartridges, but since this will kill their cash cow it will only happen after they cram all neo geo games in one cartridge.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
There's only a couple of years left until the patent on the hardware design expires, at which time we'll probably see clone systems just like the ones for NES, SNES, and Genesis. And if they can cram two or three pinouts in the same system, why not make pins for both home system and mvs?

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I remember seeing these at Gameworld and then became Playthegames.com back in the late 90s. They were really expensive and could only play games 50mb or less. So it only played the cheap AES carts anyways. Unless this one is a different model and can hold more on the cards.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
There's only a couple of years left until the patent on the hardware design expires, at which time we'll probably see clone systems just like the ones for NES, SNES, and Genesis. And if they can cram two or three pinouts in the same system, why not make pins for both home system and mvs?

Hmmmm... I doubt it, because those systems listed have so many games available from about $1 that anyone can buy a clone system $20 and then grab Mario, Sonic etc etc for hardly any cash.

AES and MVS games are far rarer, and so the alternative may be a clone with built in games.... but then the costs rise and it's illegal...

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Spoonman told me about that before, but they are very expensive from what I understand.
The MGD2's go for at least $US1000.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Would be pretty good especially for rare/prototype/hombew titles. However it sort of takes away that magic if you're just going to copy over every rom to a single cart. Then again I'm a fairly cheap bastard so I'd end up doing it anyway.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Would be pretty good especially for rare/prototype/hombew titles. However it sort of takes away that magic if you're just going to copy over every rom to a single cart. Then again I'm a fairly cheap bastard so I'd end up doing it anyway.

When you have to open a cabinet to swap carts, it is a lot nicer to just select a game from a menu ;-)

I completely understand the purist POV, while it is the same ROM, it still isn't the same. But if you just want to play the games on the original hardware vs emulation, this would be awesome. It would be awesome to have all the games, but that isn't realistic for me.

I have a TON of DS games, but I still have the Acekard, mostly just so I don't have to carry all those DS games with me, kind of ruins the portability.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Hmmmm... I doubt it, because those systems listed have so many games available from about $1 that anyone can buy a clone system $20 and then grab Mario, Sonic etc etc for hardly any cash.

AES and MVS games are far rarer, and so the alternative may be a clone with built in games.... but then the costs rise and it's illegal...

Illegal until the patent expires. Just look at the Arcade Legends released by Chicago Gaming Company. Most of that cost is actually from the cab itself rather than the software.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Illegal until the patent expires. Just look at the Arcade Legends released by Chicago Gaming Company. Most of that cost is actually from the cab itself rather than the software.

patents.... what about copyright though... wouldn't they still retain the copyrights?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
patents.... what about copyright though... wouldn't they still retain the copyrights?

Good question. Take a look at the list of developers for the 100+ arcade games in their product, many of which still make ports of their titles in current gen consoles.

http://www.arcadelegends.com/

I can't imagine the company tries to contract and pay royalties for hundreds of copyright titles from dozens of companies. So how do they do this legally?

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Good question. Take a look at the list of developers for the 100+ arcade games in their product, many of which still make ports of their titles in current gen consoles.

http://www.arcadelegends.com/

I can't imagine the company tries to contract and pay royalties for hundreds of copyright titles from dozens of companies. So how do they do this legally?

I don't know, I think that they license them, otherwise they would have more games in it. It has newer games in it. Most are Taito and Capcom games.

True, but thats what multi slot boards are for ;)

I have a 4 slot. :-)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I don't know, I think that they license them, otherwise they would have more games in it.

Look at their page carefully and you'll see that they already offer an "upgrade" to 145 games. Only a matter of time until more of these upgrades are offered, just like how the multicarts work.

Last edited:

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
When you have to open a cabinet to swap carts, it is a lot nicer to just select a game from a menu ;-)

I completely understand the purist POV, while it is the same ROM, it still isn't the same. But if you just want to play the games on the original hardware vs emulation, this would be awesome. It would be awesome to have all the games, but that isn't realistic for me.

I have a TON of DS games, but I still have the Acekard, mostly just so I don't have to carry all those DS games with me, kind of ruins the portability.

I'm the same way, lots of DS and even a few PSP games, even though I own an Acekard2i and the psp is modded. Just beats the hassle of carrying games everywhere. For those with their machines in tight spaces it could be convenient, but that doesn't really make for a large demand :/