If Sapphire wasn't so stupid-expensive, where would it fall on the scale of PCE Shmups?

powerflower

Banned
Go for the boot and save the money...these days there aren't many legit copies out there. I paid $500 for mine and like an idiot it's a boot. It just sits on the shelf and rarely gets played. Soundtrack is awesome. There are many other pic shooter worth buying...like twin bee for starters lol

Ouch, 500 for a boot...

Mine is 100% legit but yeah...too many other dozens of AAA shooters for this wonderful system. Shame on Neo!

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Does anyone know where to get the pressed boot these days? I know there were tons of loose copies floating around a few years back, that'd be good enough for me. Always wanted to play this one

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Does anyone know where to get the pressed boot these days? I know there were tons of loose copies floating around a few years back, that'd be good enough for me. Always wanted to play this one

Just burn your own copy on a cd-r.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I wouldn't ruin my laser for it. Emulate the ISO or look for the collecion on PSP with those Galaxy Fräulein Yuna games.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Sapphire feels more like a tech demo than a solid game. It's okay but nothing special. Enjoy Raiden and Soldier Blade much more.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah, there has been a bunch of debate about that over the years. A few years ago on PCEFX someone bought spindles of the Sapphire boot disk only and were practically giving them away, but I never got in on that. I would burn a copy, but if I could find one of those that would be even better.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Yeah, there has been a bunch of debate about that over the years. A few years ago on PCEFX someone bought spindles of the Sapphire boot disk only and were practically giving them away, but I never got in on that. I would burn a copy, but if I could find one of those that would be even better.

The boot is the way to go, IMO. Aside from the CARE4DATA stamp and some coloring on the case/manual you can hardly tell the difference.

powerflower

Banned
I wouldn't ruin my laser for it. Emulate the ISO or look for the collecion on PSP with those Galaxy Fräulein Yuna games.

+1

No CD-Rs in my white CD-Rom.

CD-Rs don't harm the laser, that's an old wives tale.

It should be well known that different drives/CD-Rs and stuff vary very much in terms of everything. Pressed CDs are meant for those drives. Was never happy running a CD-R in my PCE. Didn't feel good.

Same with PSX, how many consoles were ruined by boots...and don't forget PCE-CD is like 25+ years old stuff.

Sapphire feels more like a tech demo than a solid game. It's okay but nothing special. Enjoy Raiden and Soldier Blade much more.

Good point.

Pulstar on the other hand isn't only a tech demo but a masterpiece as well. Very special to me.

Last edited:

Bardoly

n00b
The boot is the way to go, IMO. Aside from the CARE4DATA stamp and some coloring on the case/manual you can hardly tell the difference.

Yeah, get the boot if possible. I know that my PC Engine Duo struggles to play CDRs, but it plays pressed disks quite fine. It's quite possible that Tobias in Germany (who is doing the PCE Works bootleg sets) still has some loosie pressed copies.

I own an original Sapphire and have had it for years now.

No idea how much it goes for these days.

It is a good Shmup. It is well put together and showcases what the PCE can do. It looks a lot like an early Saturn Shmup nearly.

If I had to compare it to a holy-grail Shmup up there with RECCA and Radient-Silvergun, yes it is a grail game due to its rarity and quality.

We may come up with criteria for Shmup holy-grails such as:

1. appeared late on in the platform's life.
2. well above average in quality.
3. excels on a technical level above other Shmups on its platform.
4. rarity.
5*, maybe a lack of any other way to play it apart from an Emulator - so system exclusivity.

Sapphire ticks all the boxes one to five I would say.

I personally prefer RECCA to Sapphire as a grail.

As a standard Shmup it is not bad but I prefer other vertical Shmups such as Soldier-Blade, GunHed.

Nice to have if you can afford it but I dare not think how much it goes for these days.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Go for the boot and save the money...these days there aren't many legit copies out there. I paid $500 for mine and like an idiot it's a boot. It just sits on the shelf and rarely gets played. Soundtrack is awesome. There are many other pic shooter worth buying...like twin bee for starters lol

From san Diego and has a sapphire boot that was $500.. Where have we heard that one before?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If I had to compare it to a holy-grail Shmup up there with RECCA and Radient-Silvergun, yes it is a grail game due to its rarity and quality.

We may come up with criteria for Shmup holy-grails such as:

1. appeared late on in the platform's life.
2. well above average in quality.
3. excels on a technical level above other Shmups on its platform.
4. rarity.
5*, maybe a lack of any other way to play it apart from an Emulator - so system exclusivity.

Oh, I love holy grail Shmup like gradient-slivergun.

Last edited:

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Hmmm I'd give the game a 7/10, it's quite good, but I prefer Winds/Lords of Thunder waaaay more for instance.
Anyways, I give a 10/10 as for the soundtrack, music from Sapphire is fucking awesome.

Hmmm I'd give the game a 7/10, it's quite good, but I prefer Winds/Lords of Thunder waaaay more for instance.
Anyways, I give a 10/10 as for the soundtrack, music from Sapphire is fucking awesome.

I have to agree: Lords is especially full on and I love it. It has the best music I feel compared to the other two.
GOT is a lot like Thunderforce 4 in a way.
All three looked very well done and are polished.
I own all three and have done for years now - maybe 15 :D

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Gate of Thunder is the main reason I bought Duo when it first came out (reserved at The Babbage's)
Lords of Thunder has unforgettable OST and US version lacks some audio narration
Bought Sapphire bootleg CD long time ago, plays just as good as original (even though I can't afford the original) and I have no complaint :D

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I feel the narration takes away from the music which pisses me off, I really like the intro music like in the US version, no dumb narration, maybe later...after the intro track is over...I mean...come on! Bad ass paused riff, close ups, different armors...splash screen...animations...damn you narrating douchebag cutting into my moment of glorious lordship!!!

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I feel the narration takes away from the music which pisses me off, I really like the intro music like in the US version, no dumb narration, maybe later...after the intro track is over...I mean...come on! Bad ass paused riff, close ups, different armors...splash screen...animations...damn you narrating douchebag cutting into my moment of glorious lordship!!!

lol mental image of EG shaking his fist "DAAAYUMMMMM DAYUUUMMM DAAAAYYYYUUUMMM!!"