IGN Article: The History and Enduring Legacy of Terry Bogard

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Pretty cool to see Terry Bogard (one of the greatest video game characters of all time imho :buttrock:) featured in the mainstream like this. Awesome to learn the origin of the iconic “Are you okay?!” line as well :lolz:

For those interested:

“Terry Bogard, of Fatal Fury and King of Fighters' fame, is one of the most enduring fighting game icons throughout all of gaming, appearing in more than 80 games since 1991. We take a look back at the history of the Hungry Wolf, and talk to some key developers at SNK to shed some light on his creation.”

Video:

Article:

Last edited:

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
That was really cool. Probably the most interesting IGN related video Ive watche in a long time. That is so funny regarding the Buster Wolf cry. I love it when cultures take different languages and just use what sounds cool to them, its very pure in a way. Ive specifically noticed this over the years with both the French and Japanese.

BN, I know youre big on Terry, do you have a favorite game to play him in? I havent played nearly as many KoF as I want to, but Ive played a few FF and I have to say I think I like his FF3 moveset the best so far. He looks rad in KoF 96 and 98 to me though. Also do you play smash ultimate? I main him in that game but he was hard as hell to get used to in that game coming from other characters.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Yo whats up Capitalistix, Terry’s definitely my favorite to use in any game he’s playable in.

His rushdown play shines through in any title he makes an appearance in, but I love his moveset and combo ability in the latter Real Bout games. Terry’s updated anime-influenced exaggerated animations combined with the expanded ability to chain and cancel from normals makes him a blast to play in Real Bout Special/Real Bout 2 in particular.

Line sway combos in FF3/Real Bout never get old either, but RBS and RB2 seemed to ratchet the sense of impact and style up to 11 imho.

Terry in kof 96-98 was also a lot of fun when he debuted back in the day, since the new power wave gave his old moveset some fun new utility and by upping his already solid anti-air game and combo potential (especially with that instant shoryuken-style rising tackle he gained).

Smash is great stuff; I was always primarily a Samus main (though I also mained Snake in Brawl) until Terry Bogard joined the cast, now he’s all I use lol Cancelling from normals into Buster Wolf is *chef’s kiss* all day every day lol

If Ryu Hayabusa ever joined Smash Bros I may have to quit playing since I wouldn’t be able to choose between the two lol Though as a plus, Ryu would be yet another sword user so his utility in Smash would probably be extremely solid :lolz: .

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Awesome to learn the origin of the iconic “Are you okay?!” line as well :
"As for why he says it? According to Yasuyuki Oda, Lead Producer on the King of Fighters series, “During those times, we didn’t have standardized localization practices, and so the way some words were used was kind of odd. As for how the phrase came to be, the story is that when I was at Universal Studios Hollywood, some kid asked me those fated words as I was getting off Jurassic Park: The Ride, completely soaking wet.”

Now wait just a minute here. Jurassic Park: The Ride opened to the public on June 21, 1996. Now sure it's a possibility I'm living in an alternate reality where the bears were called Berenstein and not Berenstain, but am I wrong in thinking Terry asked ARE YOU OK? before June of 1996? When did Terry first say those words?

-ColumboSage out

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No but seriously, I am serious about wanting to know when did Terry first say, "Are you OK?"

Because there is no way the first time Terry said that came after June 21, 1996. Right?

edit: welp I have false memories confirmed.

Last edited:

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
I believe it was MOTW when Buster Wolf and those words were first yelled back in 1999.
If I’m wrong I would love to know and be informed. :)

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
No but seriously, I am serious about wanting to know when did Terry first say, "Are you OK?"

Because there is no way the first time Terry said that came after June 21, 1996. Right?

The article specifically mentions that Buster Wolf originated with MotW.

“Then there’s the Buster Wolf, which was added to Terry’s arsenal in Garou Mark of the Wolves, but ultimately wound up, even according to Oda-san, as Terry’s most quintessential move.”