I'm Going to be a Cheesemonger.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Yesterday, my manager tells me about a couple of positions that opened up at our main (and HUEG) downtown store. The deli/cheese dept. needed some full-time cheese prep people. He told me because I'm going to culinary school and that it would be a great opportunity for me to get my foot in the door. I said I'd discuss it with the familia and sleep on it.

This morning, I told him that I'd like to go ahead and interview for the job. So I drove up to the other store, talked to them for about fifteen minutes, and then drove back.

About 3pm, my manager pulls me into the office and said that I got the job. The commute's going to suck, but it's actually closer to my school and I get to cut, stock, and talk cheese for 8 hours a day.

I'm all kinds of excited, though I'm sure I've heard just about every "cut the cheese" joke in existence.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Congrats!
I still have to go to specs.
My friends tell me it's a great life experience.
I usually just go to twin liquors up the street from my house.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That's fantastic!

Culinary school sounds soooo badass. Something I'd do if I had another lifetime to live.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Cheese is near the top of the list of 'things I wish I knew more about'.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
ironic_trollcat.jpg

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Congrats on the new gig! Who doesn't love cheese.

I have a question, that I'm hoping you can answer. What is the best LeGit cheese for melting, I'm not talking Velveeta™ or any canned wiz cheese - I've been looking for a flavorful cheese that has a low melting point but won't burn too easily - added bonus if it doesn't congeal too quickly. Heat source is a candle or Bic lighter. I've been using fresh mozzarella and fondue cheeses with very mixed results ~

aria

Former Moderator
Congrats. As cliche as it is, the best cheese stores around here tend to be in wine shops. I really like Stichelton, which bears relation to Stilton. Fine cheese can be an expensive hobby, but oh so good.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I read "Cheeseburger" on my phone and got all kinds of weird (and kinky) ideas...

I have a question, that I'm hoping you can answer. What is the best LeGit cheese for melting, I'm not talking Velveeta™ or any canned wiz cheese - I've been looking for a flavorful cheese that has a low melting point but won't burn too easily - added bonus if it doesn't congeal too quickly. Heat source is a candle or Bic lighter. I've been using fresh mozzarella and fondue cheeses with very mixed results ~

Chester.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I think culinary school would be really interesting to do just so I could learn about some more styles of vegetarian cooking.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Congrats on the weird cheese transaction :buttrock:

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Thanks guys :D I start on July 8th.

My manager asked about proper "compensation" (ie, a raise) due to my increased commute, and they said after 60 days. If I'm what they're looking for, I'll get more money.

That's fantastic!

Culinary school sounds soooo badass. Something I'd do if I had another lifetime to live.

It took me a while to get back into it, but I say go for it. Or at least do leisurely classes if your area offers them.

After a little research, I'm going with Colby Jack. If you're feeling fancy, Gouda. Gouda is like my favorite cheese ever.

Hole-y Cheesus?

cheesus.jpg

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
So when you eat Cheesus with crackers...which one represents the body of Christ?

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
That's fantastic!

No you dont, culinary school is one of the hardest paths one could ever take. Shit hours, Shit pay, you'll get screamed at if you fuck up. And it has one of the highest rates of drug use out of any industry. The only redeeming factor is if you become the executive chef and obtain your seal, which allows you to work anywhere in the world. Otherwise, avoid.

Or.. if your already well off, going that route is an option as you can always start your own venture. Otherwise... prepare for some hardship once you graduate.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Starting a new job can be such a strange experience. Much luck!