I'm just going to leave this here for Merc

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Fuck yeah.
First it was GE999 from S'More Entertainment, now news of Discotek releasing the entire 42 episodes of Captain Harlock on a subtitled DVD boxset.

After decades of bullshit, looks like this time it's the real deal.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...nces-dvd-release-of-captain-harlock-tv-series
Discotek Announces DVD Release of Captain Harlock TV Series
posted on 2012-04-02 22:50 EDT
North American distributor releasing 42-episode series as subtitled box set

The North American home video distributor Discotek announced on Monday through its Facebook page that it will be releasing the original Captain Harlock TV series on DVD. According to the post, the series will be sold as a subtitled, complete box set containing all 42 episodes.

Leiji Matsumoto's original Space Pirate Captain Harlock manga ran from 1977 to 1979, and its 42-episode TV adaptation from 1978 to 1979 was previously made available in the United States via internet streaming by companies including Crunchyroll and FUNimation Entertainment. The 1982 Arcadia of My Youth film from the franchise was released in North America by AnimEigo in 2003.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Geez, more great news. The first series kicks ass. I'm glad it's this and not SSX. Buying this for sure.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Awesome. I just wish these companies didn't start releasing this stuff on DVD now that it's pretty much a dead format. It's all old so it wouldn't be to much of an improvment on BD still sucks we had to wait this long to get basic stuff. FOTNS, Dirty Pair, Lupin etc. oh well at least this stuff is actually getting released now and it's affordable.

I actually watched GE999 for the first time last night and loved it. Though the way the kids were drawn creeped me out big time.

bokmeow

Awesome. I just wish these companies didn't start releasing this stuff on DVD now that it's pretty much a dead format. It's all old so it wouldn't be to much of an improvment on BD still sucks we had to wait this long to get basic stuff. FOTNS, Dirty Pair, Lupin etc. oh well at least this stuff is actually getting released now and it's affordable.

I actually watched GE999 for the first time last night and loved it. Though the way the kids were drawn creeped me out big time.

I don't get where this whole "DVD is a dead format" thing is coming from. I can bet that the installation base of DVD players is far higher than BD, considering it's in DVD players, PS2, computers, cars, etc. Yes, BD is higher quality, but it's still relatively new compared to the DVD. Furthermore, while I think Leiji Matsumoto's classics GE999 and Harlock are teh awesome, these are not the newest anime from Japan, so it would understandably give licensors pause. Other than being broadcast in California public television and on Sci-Fi channel, this is going to be sold on the strength of the nostalgia, the reputation of Leiji Matsumoto, and as a seminal work of Anime. (And tons of other reasons pitched by SouthtownKid in the GE999 thread)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Uh yeah my point was that it has taken so fucking long for these classics to be released here not so much fuck DVD as a format. I'm happy to be getting this stuff finally on any physical format. My point in bringing up DVD was that a lot of people that buy media nowadays do not buy any DVDs at all anymore.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
Looks like I'll be setting some cash aside to buy this.

All I need is for someone to announce the DVD release of the Galaxy Express TV series.

bokmeow

Looks like I'll be setting some cash aside to buy this.

All I need is for someone to announce the DVD release of the Galaxy Express TV series.

Set aside cash for that too Domino-chan — that was announced on 16 January 2012, to be released by S'more Entertainment.

I'll just leave this here for Merc (Three-9)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-16/smore-entertainment-adds-galaxy-express-tv-anime
S'more Entertainment Adds Galaxy Express 999 TV Anime
posted on 2012-01-16 21:30 EST
1st U.S. subbed DVD release planned for Leiji Matsumoto, Rintaro's space opera classic

Arny Schorr, owner of the North American anime distributor S'more Entertainment, confirmed on Monday that his company acquired the Galaxy Express 999 television series from Toei Animation. The classic 1978-1981 television series from director Rintaro adapts Leiji Matsumoto's space opera manga of the same name. S'more Entertainment is planning the first American DVD release for the series with English subtitles, but the release date has not been set yet.

The story follows a young orphan named Tetsuro as he travels with a mysterious woman named Maetel through the galaxy on a space train, in the hopes of obtaining a cybernetic body. The train stops at many planets along the way, often leading to adventures for the two.

Crunchyroll, Funimation, and Hulu have been streaming the television anime series outside Japan since 2009. The original manga also inspired a 1979 film that Viz once licensed in North America along with its sequel Adieu Galaxy Express 999. Discotek released the first Galaxy Express 999 film on DVD in North America last year.

When asked if he would license more anime, Schorr said, "We'll see how it goes. The DVD business is pretty much [going down], and we picked [another anime, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo,] up because it was unique and it was broadcast, and yet nobody's done complete releases."

Image © Leiji Matsumoto, Toei Animation

Update: Founded in 2005 by Schorr (formerly of Rhino Entertainment), S'more Entertainment specializes in DVD releases of vintage television series and cult films. Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo and Galaxy Express 999 are S'more Entertainment's first two anime releases. Retail distribution for S'more is handled in the United States and Canada by Entertainment One Ltd.

bokmeow

Uh yeah my point was that it has taken so fucking long for these classics to be released here not so much fuck DVD as a format. I'm happy to be getting this stuff finally on any physical format. My point in bringing up DVD was that a lot of people that buy media nowadays do not buy any DVDs at all anymore.

It's certainly going to be hard to see people go back to DVDs once BD become really well established, since it doesn't have the thing that Laserdiscs seems to have going for it (analogue audio) or LP (again, analogue audio).

Anyways, über-pumped that 2 of Leiji Matsumoto's seminal works finally seeing the light of day in the states. Could subsequent sequels of Macross not be far behind?