I'm thinking of closing up shop

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
Sorry to here about this, I haven't bought anything from the shop but I've watched your tutorials and your comments in the Tech support have been of great help. I hope you stay around.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Your guides have helped me a lot of times and surfing JNX in general has broadened my knowledge before and since I signed up here - and I haven't even read through everything yet. Whenever I had a technical question I went to the topics you posted in first, because I could be sure they would be a valuable resource. Since I've been here your sales threads were more than fair, your builds top notch and creative while focused on the buyers needs. The support you have given not only to your customers, but to this community as a whole is legendary.

Please consider staying on the forums, even if you have to close your shop (which I sincerely hope can be averted). The loss your departure would mean to this place as well as neo and arcade enthusiasts everywhere on the net would be tremendous. Your contributions as well as your actions in all things have made you a paragon.

Please let it be known if there is something we can do to support you.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Unsure what led to this... but Xian Xi has always been an upfront member...

..Him and 2point0 are the only 2 Hawaiians... I would consider visiting... before the Volcano blows...

xROTx

PS. I miss 2point0:(

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
This seems almost unthinkable, it shouldn't be allowed to happen. Shawn has been looking for new lines in the store, it seems to me that if he is happy to sell the 161 in 1 carts and the JGP cart then the official SNK only rule has gone now and the floodgates are open.

Hey Shawn, why not sell Xi's CMVS's through the neostore, it's win win for everyone, quality products at fair prices with guarantees that mean something.

+1

Hang in there James.

There has got to be a way to tap into the huge money being thrown at CMVS units right now.

Fightstick modding is still popular too I believe, so as others have said, there could be other possibilities open to generate sustainable income.

Take care mate. You have our support always!

Side note: I would be intrigued to know the people behind the stealing of ideas etc, so I know to avoid them!

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I'm glad you are giving it the rest of the year to think about it James. While I am not into the Supergun or CMVS side, I have seen the quality of your products and they are top notch.

You, Tony, and RJ on the tech side have always been a huge part of keeping the Neo alive, literally. Your guides and answers have helped me greatly and also why I strive to give back in other areas of arcade hardware, monitors, and cabs I have a experience with.

With the Neo scene going crazy and all these others jumping at the chance to make money I can see your frustration. JNX was known by its quality products and buzz on these forums alone. These other guys are advertising heavy and many care more about getting their name/reputation out there and a quick buck, than building it off a quality product.

Regardless of your decision, I just want to thank you for all the help and the boost you gave me to get back into repairing things James. It has helped me greatly since I got out of the military in 2006.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Damn that sucks to hear, I hope whatever you decide works out the best for you and your family. I have only been on here a couple months but your website is one of my go to places for information and has been invaluable. I have also pmd you for help or just thoughts in the past and you have been only helpful. Good luck with the store and I hope for the communities sake it turns around because you at a great asset to the community.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
it can be pretty frustrating when cheap ripoffs become the standard, but then, it's what's happening everywhere, just look at walmart. community vs profiteering. I think you can be successful with a higher quality product, but it may requires modern marketing such as leveraging social media, youtube, auction sites, etc. The problem is our hobby is shrinking, and so is our community. but the retro console hobby is definitely booming so creating a buzz in that community might be an idea ?

whatever you do, we all appreciate the work you've done so far and for me personally, all the technical knowledge you shared.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
XX, you have been an asset to this community.

Here’s my take on this situation and how we as a community can improve it. Some of the HiFi forums I read have banners at the bottom listing resources for product sources, services, and repairs. Why couldn’t we place similar banners on sub forms, where most appropriate (tech…SNK Selling…etc…)? There are many members here that offer unique services for the Neo and other systems. I see these banners as benefiting both the member and the community as a whole; trusted members providing quality services and repairs should be supported.

prosolis

n00b
I've been planning to purchase an AES system for a while. I'll add a CMVS to that list as well. PM sent.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Please James, I hope you reconsider. When I first joined here after learning about JNK I took to JNK like super glue. Xsq hit the nail right on the head, your guides have also helped me so much by increasing and broadened my knowledge ten fold since I signed up. I have been using them constantly and couldn't fathom losing that much technological knowledge. I use all your guides as my go do references, when I did my battery convert, it was your guide, your order, and your personal guidence that helped me.

If there is anything I can do to help you stay in this awesome community I will make sure I can contribute something. You are the top notch QUALITY technician that does things right and your work shows how much dedication and skill you have. Please know if you have any issues keeping JNK website up and running. I would be more than happy to offer a helping hand for expenses and or maintenance to make sure it stays running.

You are an irreplaceable asset to this community new and old. Your services is immensely appreciated I hope you find solace in your decision.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
Like a lot of people here, you are the first person I think of when I need something cool done correctly. It's a shame you're not taken advantage of often enough to keep it sustainable :(

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I was soon going to send an AES to be component modded :crying:

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Thanks for always being super helpful whenever I posted tech support stuff over the years, pretty sure I'd still have a busted MS-X cart if it wasn't for you pointing me to the fix info! \o_

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Such sad news from such a great member.

James and JNX have been the touchstone in the NEO scene for as long as I can remember.

Don't leave the scene, James. The NEO and all its peeps need you.

Unsure what led to this... but Xian Xi has always been an upfront member...

..Him and 2point0 are the only 2 Hawaiians... I would consider visiting... before the Volcano blows...

xROTx

PS. I miss 2point0:(

Fedormma

n00b
James, I bought a CMVS from you years ago and it still works great! You have always been extremely helpful and a pleasure to deal with. I just wanted to say thank you and I hope that you reconsider.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
James does the best work period.

My custom JNX supergun is bulletproof and that Pana Twin he restored for me is crazy gorgeous!

I've got projects for you incoming. Thanks for everything James!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Good mythical morning.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it really does mean a lot to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the responses in the thread.

The JNX website bill has always been footed by Matt aka xiao_haozi so I only pay for the domain every year which is only $12 so it isn't a big expense.

Since I'm only one person it's hard to keep stuff that is hand made in stock on the website. About 90% of the things listed on the site are handmade so it's hard to keep the store stocked and at the same time take care of custom orders. I never make a customer wait longer than 3 weeks for a custom order. Most custom supergun orders are shipped within two weeks and custom CMVS units are shipped within days. It's hard to take a break from orders to create stock, I usually do that during slow times where I have no orders at all which might be in two weeks or so. I'll probably list some CMVS units, stand alone 4 player boxes for JAMMA boards and what not. There are many times where I make almost nothing on a product like the NeoCD joypads. I buy them and clean them and list them on my site as I always get requests for them so I like to keep them in stock for my customers even though I sometimes only make $1 off it.

I'll always be around, if anyone needs help with any questions they can always reach me here, on my site and the occasional phone call apparently.

Thanks to everyones support, I really appreciate the kind words. Maybe I'm getting old and sensitive.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Maybe I'm getting old and sensitive.

....Pfftt... you're still a youngster compared to some of us...

As for sensitive... TBH... i always did consider you a tad gay:p

xROTx

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I know you probably don't want to, but you may want to raise those prices a little. If you can't keep something in stock (like those CD pads) and you make very little margin on them, that's a sure sign that you aren't charging enough. You don't want to rip people off, but there's nothing wrong with making some money. Your time is valuable.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I (mistakenly) assumed you were too busy to take on jobs, so i've (again, mistakenly) not pm'd and have went other directions or went without.

I think my poor assumption was because your advertising has always been very low key and not in our faces. Sad as it is - the only way we really know you are offering services is if they flash at us all the time like the others do. I know it isn't your style from your posts over the years - but maybe consider a thread on here advertising things you are offering or are willing to take on? Knowing that you'll gladly troubleshoot timely via pm or will back your work means a lot of us will gladly pay for a quality product. A thought...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I (mistakenly) assumed you were too busy to take on jobs, so i've (again, mistakenly) not pm'd and have went other directions or went without.

I think my poor assumption was because your advertising has always been very low key and not in our faces. Sad as it is - the only way we really know you are offering services is if they flash at us all the time like the others do. I know it isn't your style from your posts over the years - but maybe consider a thread on here advertising things you are offering or are willing to take on? Knowing that you'll gladly troubleshoot timely via pm or will back your work means a lot of us will gladly pay for a quality product. A thought...

For me, if you have a sales thread on this website that sells mass produced products, I feel that those sellers should be paying Shawn a commission. I think it's morally wrong to have those kind of sales threads in this kind of community. Posting a unit for sale here and there like I have been is how the market place is supposed to be, not long running sales threads for mass produced items.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
James, you helped me with identifying my AES system and my issue regarding the Garou MVS cartridge, and I truly appreciate it.

Keep your chin up man. The community still needs you, and the noobs may scoop up some of those CMVS's. Don't throw it all away!

And PM sent.