Inherited a $7000 bottle of bourbon

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Anybody have experience with trying to sell something like this or have it appraised? All signs point to it being ultra valuable, but i have no real clue of the best way to go about selling it. Any help or incite greatly appreciated. It is at least 50 years old, but could be older... Having trouble finding the bottled date on the thing as well.
20211227_144634.jpg20211227_144641.jpg20211227_144653.jpg

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
That's really cool tbh. Why would you sell it though?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Because as my girlfriend (who is the one who actually inherited it directly) said "this will make my house payment for 6 months!"

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I'd certainly make better use outta $7k than I would a fancy bottle of scotch. I'm sure it's quite tasty, but scotch hasn't ever been my thing.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
You sure it's a 7K bottle? I'd still drink it, feel spesh and laugh though.
From the small amount of research weve done, if it was 83 proof its worth about a grand, but since its 100 proof its worth up to 7K

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
From the small amount of research weve done, if it was 83 proof its worth about a grand, but since its 100 proof its worth up to 7K
Every pic I've been seeing on these has the distilling and bottling dates somewhere on the label. Is it not on the left side 'wing' of the front label?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
To be honest, it is difficult to sell alcohol anyway, so given the approximate value I'd look for an appropriate consignment seller or auction house that can handle it.

Yes you'll lose plenty on the fees, but you'll find the right buyers and not deal with potential legal headaches.

lithy

20 Year Member
Alternately, I'd drink it.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Drink that shit, then fill that shit with iced tea.
Honestly... yeah.

Dude, that's a 50 year old bottle of Scotch. I dont know the brand, but I bet that shit hits SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.

Is it really worth getting rid of an incredible Scotch just to make a house payment? Shit - you already working and planned to make those payments. So keep making em, and have a nice 50 year old bottle of hootch around.

Also: $50 shipped

lithy

20 Year Member
Also, date should be on the tax seal.

lithy

20 Year Member
Also also, it's bourbon not scotch.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
To be honest,this probaby tastes like shit. Whiskey ages in a barrel not in a glass bottle. Sell it to a collector.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Also also, it's bourbon not scotch.
Oops. Got confused, we also got another bottle of old scotch and one of vodka, but they don't seem to be worth much and about a 4th of the bottle has evaporated in each of them.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Very cool and unique inheritance. If you guys are set on selling this I would suggest going the auction route or getting in touch with a high end liquor buyer/seller that might be local. As much of a fan of liquor you've got yourself a real rare bird here and I would be hard pressed to sip on this knowing I could have paid off my car or other bills so I feel ya. 🍻

https://www.frootbat.com/product/48...2-Year-Old-Bourbon-750ml-Bottle/United-States

lithy

20 Year Member
To be honest,this probaby tastes like shit. Whiskey ages in a barrel not in a glass bottle. Sell it to a collector.

You know nothing Jon Smokey.

It was aged 12 years in a barrel. It is as good today as it was in 1968. Liquor doesn't really change over the years with the minor possibility of evaporation loss.

This is valuable because of the distiller, distillery, and the time period it was produced. The intervening 50+ years only serve to make it more difficult to attain, but aren't adding to the quality.

That doesn't mean it's worth $7k to drink, but I can almost guarantee it isn't shit. The whiskey from Weller is top notch stuff.