Interest check on a port

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This scene has to get over its obsession with expensive cartridges. $150 for a CD is not bad, compared with $450-550 for a cart. Both are obviously not for everyone.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You showed the video then slagged off a highly polished game which is lightyears ahead of yours. First impressions count - and perhaps you should be thinking about selling it when it's not a 'wip'?

You showed the video, what did you think people would say?

Fire your sound guy btw
The point is to gauge interest in if theres demand for action rpgs on the neo platform. If you do like ngdev team or others have done and announce something you're going to end up taking years before you're even remotely close to a product. Gauging interest and staffing properly would allow for us to be making a neo version concurrently to the mega drive version.

Also I think you're missing the huge scope and difference of games. Xenocrisis stages are 4 to 5 screens and a boss. Its a great polished arcade experience for the genesis. However it is indeed a very simple game.

The amount of pre planning and production ramp up to make a quality product takes year. A perfect example is the boxes for paprium where made almost 3 years before the game even came out.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
This scene has to get over its obsession with expensive cartridges. $150 for a CD is not bad, compared with $450-550 for a cart. Both are obviously not for everyone.
For our genesis release we'd really like to make a cart that was just a simple sd card reader to reduce cost and allow the customer to update with bug fixes and expansions. The only thing we dont like about this is it feels like a reason if the game does come out perfect. Then people will always assume the reason you did so was because you knew you could always fix it later.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The amount of pre planning and production ramp up to make a quality product takes year. A perfect example is the boxes for paprium where made almost 3 years before the game even came out.
Okay, but you shouldn't have mentioned Paprium. The wolves are hungry for meat.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Okay, but you shouldn't have mentioned Paprium. The wolves are hungry for meat.
Well to be fair theres a reason this title isnt made or produced under WM. Different concepts on management and how to handle projects. This game is barely announced and has no actual release date. More of the under promise and hopefully deliver.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The wolves are hungry for meat.
Keep the slurping noises to a minimum here, thank you.

You people are insane to consider a $150 cd normal but I guess I'm the odd one here lol, the neo geo scene truly deserves itself. @ysselcneogeo good luck to your project but please reconsider the price...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
This thread has a very Shadowgangs vibe to it.

$150 for a CD? Nah dude.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
This thread has a very Shadowgangs vibe to it.

$150 for a CD? Nah dude.
Just let them charge it, and sell one copy which will be an ISO in 5mins

Why does it have to be a neocd release at all?
Oh, money

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Keep the slurping noises to a minimum here, thank you.

You people are insane to consider a $150 cd normal but I guess I'm the odd one here lol, the neo geo scene truly deserves itself. @ysselcneogeo good luck to your project but please reconsider the price...
After listening to people here I dont think people have any idea of development cost. Especially kernow. Selling 200 copies at $150 on the neo cd would at most be a break even cost to produce a neo cd and aes version. With the the fact that you'd need to hire a completely different programmer, have the whole ost re recorded to take advantage of cd audio and bring on extra pixel artist to re do tons of the asest in neo geo quality.

The only other way to go about this is what everyone bitches about. Make around 50 aes carts and charge $500 for it and take the money years in advance. Make people wait around 3 to 5 years and hope that you get everything finished. Which I guess is exactly what neo fans want?

For example Pier Solar HD didnt even break even from production cost with its kickstarter. The only money it made was from the digital sales after filling all the kickstarter order.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
After listening to people here I dont think people have any idea of development cost. Especially kernow. Selling 200 copies at $150 on the neo cd would at most be a break even cost to produce a neo cd and aes version. With the the fact that you'd need to hire a completely different programmer, have the whole ost re recorded to take advantage of cd audio and bring on extra pixel artist to re do tons of the asest in neo geo quality.

The only other way to go about this is what everyone bitches about. Make around 50 aes carts and charge $500 for it and take the money years in advance. Make people wait around 3 to 5 years and hope that you get everything finished. Which I guess is exactly what neo fans want?

For example Pier Solar HD didnt even break even from production cost with its kickstarter. The only money it made was from the digital sales after filling all the kickstarter order.
I don't care about development costs. You won't sell this for $150 on cd to warrant bothering

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

How about you just don't make it? You made a thread to gauge interest - noone is interested

ET VOILA

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
$150 sounds a bit too much for me, specially for a NGCD version. I realise development and planning of that stuff costs a lot of money but I don't think I would shell out that much for a RPG, not really big into the genre tbh.

Now, if you'd port Wonderboy in Monsterland to Neo... :drool_2::)

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
$150 sounds a bit too much for me, specially for a NGCD version. I realise development and planning of that stuff costs a lot of money but I don't think I would shell out that much for a RPG, not really big into the genre tbh.

I think something like that would actually be a rather easy task. I think the licensing aspect of it would make it completely not feasible tho.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I think something like that would actually be a rather easy task. I think the licensing aspect of it would make it completely not feasible tho.
I would prefer a new WBIML game made from scratch that actually makes use of the capabilities of the machine, but yeah, Sega would not give you the license for free, that's for sure.

About your proposed project, maybe instead of a full-blown physical NGCD release you could offer a package containing the ISO, cover art and manual so people could download it and make their own CD. This way, you could still play it on the original hardware but also via SD cart or on emu right out of the box.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
You're in the majority here. There's nothing normal about any of this. There really isn't any way to make reasonable money for your work without infuriating the masses. Probably why most don't do these projects.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Which version, the original arcade, or a console port? The only issue with the original is that the SEGA System 2 has hardware collision detection...

...but not out of the question for a 12MHz 68K to emulate in software of course. For Xevious (3MHz Z80 x2) the 68K is idling for more than half the frame!

MoriyaMinakata

Stakes Winner 2
15 Year Member
Why not release a PC port with enhanced visuals, music, and sound?
Something like a steam release would certainly cost you much less because you wouldn't have to press discs and it would have a wider audience.
NGCD is a niche market even in neo circles.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Which version, the original arcade, or a console port? The only issue with the original is that the SEGA System 2 has hardware collision detection...

...but not out of the question for a 12MHz 68K to emulate in software of course. For Xevious (3MHz Z80 x2) the 68K is idling for more than half the frame!
Basically I would love to have the first two Wonder Boy games on Neo, made from scratch up to full Neo specs while retaining the original gameplay.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Just stick it on Dreamcast and actually sell some copies.

NGCD isn’t a RPG console just because one RPG came out on it.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's not a game I would spend $150 just because it's for the Neo Geo CD. Steam is flooded with those kind of RPGs no one plays. Even if you put hard work in it with heart blood and stuff. You're not developing another Chrono Trigger. Would consider a Mega Drive rom for a fair price. Other new releases like Tanglewood included the rom file in the Steam release. It's 15 € on Steam.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
It's not a game I would spend $150 just because it's for the Neo Geo CD. Steam is flooded with those kind of RPGs no one plays. Even if you put hard work in it with heart blood and stuff. You're not developing another Chrono Trigger. Would consider a Mega Drive rom for a fair price. Other new releases like Tanglewood included the rom file in the Steam release. It's 15 € on Steam.
I can say the rom will be made available for the genesis version however again with a time delayed from the initial cart release.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
WTF are you using Watermelon as an example of releasing a homebrew? That's like using Enron as an example of corporate stability and sustainability.

You've clearly got your head far too up your own arse with this project of yours, so do us all a favour and take your "game" elsewhere. You are not going to sell that on a SNK platform and make money.

And you won't on the Mega Drive either if you're trying to follow in Fonzie's footsteps, but then Watermelon was just a glorified ponzie scheme, so maybe you'll have more luck with the suckers over at Sega16.