Interesting New AES-Style Consolized MV-1B on Aliexpress

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
I haven't done it, but replacing the AV should be really easy. The Jamma harness connects to a PCB that routes the signals to the back and it runs through a couple of smaller soldered in PCBs that handle the outputs. I haven't looked at it in depth but I believe one of the PCBs is probably the buffer for the RGB signal and the other is a RGB to component/composite transcoder.

I just ordered some MVS RGB PCBs from OSHpark for another project, if I'm not too lazy I may try to swap the RGB board out with one of the spares. I doubt I'll see much difference in video quality though since the deficiencies in the unit stem from the component transcoder and not the RGB signal.
Agreed, if you use a AES RGB cable, you’ll probably be able to see a difference with the upgraded RGB. In Modzilla’s vid, he does a comparison between the CBOX output and the OMVS, the video is washed out and the audio is not attenuated.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've seen that video and it is accurate, however he was comparing the component output of the Alibox to the RGB output of the OMVS. The RGB output in the cbox is considerably better, if not quite perfect. On my CRT I use a HD Retrovision cable to get component out of it and the transcoder in that is significantly better the CMVS's built in component. It's not absolutely perfect, and those that measure video quality with an oscilloscope should probably look elsewhere. Compared to my other Neo systems (which I can assure you have good RGB) using the same cables video quality is comparable across all of them.

I also wonder if they've revised the audio circuit, the audio out of it is as good as any of my cart systems and better than some. I haven't traced the circuit to see exactly what they do with it but it pulls form three points on the PCB and not the jamma harness, so it seems to be a proper mod. The volume levels are comparable to my CD systems' RCA outputs, which I would use as a reference since they are only SNK made systems with proper line level stereo out.

I'd still recommend most people get an OMVS these days since I don't think JNX is taking new orders right now. It's better built, uses a more reliable MVS board as its base, and uses higher quality internal components. I purely bought this for the shell, fully expecting to gut it and redo everything on the inside and pleasantly surprised that it didn't need it. Next I'm gonna build a CMVS from scratch like it was 2007.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It seems these video boards that output composite and component have problems outputting the best RGB signal. That's why the Omega replacement boards that only output RGB can provide such a substantial upgrade.

In my custom CMVS, I went from some caps and resistors on the RGB and sync lines, changing that out for the replacement Omega board, and unfortunately I saw little improvement. The low pass filter doesn't give any improvement when turned on -- the video noise is the there either way. Probably the biggest improvement is the low pass filter for audio.

AirZonk

n00b
I'm interested in buying one of these consolized MVS units on Aliexpress. I want to get one that allows the ability to play other Jamma boards. Is it better to buy a system that uses a 1B or 1C board? After reading this thread I see that 1C is better, but the sellers on Aliexpress say that the 1B is better.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
For the jamma function it’s not really going to matter since it’s just passing the signal through the power and AV system and ignoring the neo board entirely. I’d get a separate supergun though, way more convenient.

The 1C is more reliable than the 1B. The main thing the 1b has going for it is size. It’s tiny.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
The 1C is more reliable than the 1B. The main thing the 1b has going for it is size. It’s tiny.

That is debatable, the box of dead 1Cs I have from over the years begs to differ.

Regardless, you’re buying a commercial product that’s over 20yrs old from China. Your mileage will vary.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The main issues I’ve seen on 1Cs is battery leakage causing problems, get a good one and swap the battery and it’s solid. Meanwhile I have pieces of a few 1Bs in my parts bin. Your mileage may vary!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I finally got around to replacing the PSU in this thing, and I recommend anyone that has one do the same. I used this one from Digikey: WSU120-3000-13. It cleaned up the noise I was seeing in certain screens nicely, and now the RGB output is about as good as anything else out there. Compared to the Neo CD, it's just a hair dimmer, but better than a lot of home cart systems.

I've been playing with my other CMVS's over the weekend to install better THS7374 based attenuated video circuits. When I get done with those I'll probably pop open the Alibox and see exactly what's under the hood. I don't think there's much improvement to be done outside of the component encoder but I'm curious.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Ahhh fuck it I just bought one. For years I've wanted to do a consolized MVS but I never seem to actually buy a MVS board, sit on my ass and do it, this should be good for now. Hopefully it all works fine once it arrives (Ali has a private freight of cargo planes they use and they seem to know the magic to not let packages rot for months in customs here in Brazil, so it should take a week or two).

Really wish they'd just sell the empty shell for DIY projects though. Oh well.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Ahhh fuck it I just bought one. For years I've wanted to do a consolized MVS but I never seem to actually buy a MVS board, sit on my ass and do it, this should be good for now. Hopefully it all works fine once it arrives (Ali has a private freight of cargo planes they use and they seem to know the magic to not let packages rot for months in customs here in Brazil, so it should take a week or two).

Really wish they'd just sell the empty shell for DIY projects though. Oh well.

I thought they did sell empty shell?! I feel like I've seen them on Ali. I have had one of these damn things in my cart for months. Every time I go to click "check out", I remember I have a Mister.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
I thought they did sell empty shell?! I feel like I've seen them on Ali. I have had one of these damn things in my cart for months. Every time I go to click "check out", I remember I have a Mister.
I haven't found it so maybe the seller offering it just doesn't ship it to my address. I couldn't buy the faux AES MVS through the original link from this thread either.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You can find it if you dig through the various vendors.

I can tell you though, some modifications must be made to the MV1B to make it fit properly, and you really don't want to do them. I do wish they made a version using the MV1C board. It would have to be a little bigger, but that would be fine.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

I can tell you though, some modifications must be made to the MV1B to make it fit properly, and you really don't want to do them. I do wish they made a version using the MV1C board. It would have to be a little bigger, but that would be fine.
The cool thing about it is it's same shape as an AES. Make it a little bigger, and it's not the same shape anymore.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's not the exact same size anyway, who else but this crazy goose has ever put them next to an actual home cart sytsem? The FB noobs would never notice.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It's not the exact same size anyway, who else but this crazy goose has ever put them next to an actual home cart sytsem? The FB noobs would never notice.
It's not? I thought they made a mold that's a copy of an AES shape.

Burning Fight!!

10 Year Member
God dammit I forgot about the chinese new year. It's going to take way longer than anticipated to ship. THANKS LONESAGE.

Well maybe me not finding the shell by itself is for the best? lol
And yeah @Neo Alec the shell is different. But close enough.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
God dammit I forgot about the chinese new year. It's going to take way longer than anticipated to ship. THANKS LONESAGE.

Yeah dude. The PCB in mine messed up because I'm a big dummy, and I tried using my own. Long story short, I failed tremendously in modding it and putting it in and had to order a new PCB from Timeharvest. Also, wtb MV1B cart slot board.

Quandale

n00b
Tacky bootleg crapola. I’d rather have a rusty steel box. Fuck this fake ass shit.

If anyone can source a large supply for eBay the collectards will loooooove it.
Collectard

I'm going to start using that word now, thank you

Quandale

n00b
By the way, this custom CMVS doesn't look half bad, honestly: I've seen other custom MVS's before that go for over $700 in most instances, so this is not a bad deal comparatively.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

Did you get it yet? How is it?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you ordered from Timeharvest it may get to you pretty quickly if the new year celebrations don't fuck it up. Mine came FedEx, took about a week.

vash32

n00b
I just got one of the nicer ones that also lets you run JAMMA board into it like a Super Gun.
The sharp points in red hit the flex cable cause it was too tight and damaged it during shipping. It so bad that it needs help just to start.

I got the seller to send me new flex cables but if you have a working unit, I'll open it to make sure it not too tight and maybe cut off the sharp points from the cartridge slot.

Attachments

• 1600px-Mvs_slot1b.jpg
    1600px-Mvs_slot1b.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Sba92c90a82d040008fb88ed31b614c8aG.jpg
    Sba92c90a82d040008fb88ed31b614c8aG.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 19

venchia3

n00b

Never got funded and didn't happen as far as I know.

Personally, I like the idea, but I like to keep my games original, so I wouldn't have gotten these.
Man…I know this was posted a year ago but damn how much I wanted this to be funded back in the days