iPod nano or Sansa Clip+

J. Max

judas,
So, I need a new MP3 player for walking my dogs and mowing the lawn. Also, I like to use it in my car instead of the iPhone for playing music through my car stereo. I'm torn between these two...the Sansa at first seems like a no brainer, because it's cheaper has expandable memory, supports more formats, and with better quality sound, supposedly. However, I'd need to get another SD card to give it the storage capacity of the iPod (which is around $60 so the whole price ends up at $119), and the iPod has a color screen, the ability to use my existing iTunes playlists, and I can sort of wear it as a watch. I don't care about Rhapsody support, and almost all of my music is standard MP3.

Anyone try both?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I haven't tried both, but I've never had an issue with my iPod. Some people will probably flame me for not being anti-Apple since that's the cool thing to do these days, but I think there's a reason Apple is number 1 for MP3 players.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Out of sheer convenience since you already use iTunes, I'd go with the nano.

Oh, and you can clip it to a watch band and use it that way. Which is cool.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
http://www.tested.com/news/what-are-the-best-alternatives-to-the-ipod-shuffle-nano-and-touch/907/

also

ipod-nano-ipod-shuffle-cut-in-half.jpg

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I just got an 8GB Sansa Fuze from Woot a few weeks ago for $30 or so shipped. Great little player and has a microSD card slot for expansion. Plays FLAC out of the box too, which is essential for me (though it doesn't always show the ID3 album art in the tags of FLAC files). All and all, killer player for $30. I got it mostly for jogging, figuring I could kill it and not care, but it's such a nice unit that I'd happily recommend it to people who wanted a cheap/quality music player.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I have a Sansa Clip +. The four gig model.
There's an issue with a few of the first runs in the jack popping when you move the headphone connector. It can be RMA'd if you get one out of the box like that.
I get ~15 hours of battery life at a louder volume.

The player is about the size of my thumb. It's about as big around as United States Quarter. It charges through it's USB connector.

It's supposed to work with Windows Media Player to create play lists. I'm hesitant to say if it's m3u format or not, because I had everything separated into folders anywho.

I just skipped over using any computer player management and set it up as a storage device. I just drag my files into the music folder and, after the thing finishes refreshing it's library, it's good to go.

I haven't messed with an iPod for comparison.

J. Max

judas,
I just found the 4 gig Clip+ for $40...For that money, I'll probably buy both.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I think I'm gonna pick up the 4gb clip. That's a pretty good deal compared to the nano. I like the look of the nano, but damn that price is in another world.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I picked up a 4 GB clip for the gym, and it's great. The headphones aren't very good (standard fare for a pack in) but I hooked it directly up to the amp in my car and the sound quality is outstanding for such a cheap little player. I was very impressed.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've had both, and they are both good players.

I still have a 4GB Sansa Clip+ (just slightly used), if anyone is interested. I'd keep it but it's too small for my needs.

J. Max

judas,
It has a surprisingly good DSP in it...so good, in fact, that there is a very noticeable difference in the quality of different MP3s (FLAC, of course sounds better than MP3). Not nearly as noticeable on the iPod than on the Clip+. The Clip is a lot clearer than the iPod too.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It has a surprisingly good DSP in it...so good, in fact, that there is a very noticeable difference in the quality of different MP3s (FLAC, of course sounds better than MP3). Not nearly as noticeable on the iPod than on the Clip+. The Clip is a lot clearer than the iPod too.

Agreed, too bad I didn't see this thread when you were still looking for one. I would have given you a good deal.

J. Max

judas,
Agreed, too bad I didn't see this thread when you were still looking for one. I would have given you a good deal.

It was kind of an impulse buy, otherwise I'd have put a WTB up. BTW, Amazon has SanDisk 16 GB Micro SD cards for $27.