Is it possible to convert a Data East Fighters History to Street Fighter II?

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
Before I continue, I should say right off the bat that I'm kind of an arcade hardware novice.

A local seller has a Fighter's History cab for sale but I was looking to convert it. A friend of mine has a CPS2 board (A and B) with Super SFII he would be willing to part with, so I was looking to turn it into that.

Is this possible? If so, would it be as easy as changing the JAMMA and kick harness cables?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I mean, it's a JAMMA cabinet, so I don't see why not.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
1330882045.jpg

how much conversion...thats why not?
the wrong place? sorry!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Do it but keep it with the Fighter History art, it could be rad...like a memento of when clones go wrong...

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
1330882045.jpg

how much conversion...thats why not?
the wrong place? sorry!

They made z-back versions of the earlier street fighters back in the day.

Did they actually make dedicated Fighter's History cabs? They may have all just been conversion kits. I think most dynamo cabs were street fighter anyway.

OP, I would either just keep it a Fighter's History, or run some paint thinner on it and find out what it used to be. It could actually be a SF cabinet underneath.

Unless you're looking at a Big Blue, actual SSF2 cabs are fairly ugly.

Last edited:

blakeb8111

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Got a pic of the cab? If it's in decent shape go for it. If the monitor is good you'll probably be good and it shouldn't be too hard to do. The only way to learn is to dive right in.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol @ complete copy...I mean tons of games were but FH was the one to be made an example of, they went all in for it...lol plagiarism has been in video games since its inception, WTF?! Fucking gamers here don't know left from right...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
lol @ complete copy...I mean tons of games were but FH was the one to be made an example of, they went all in for it...lol plagiarism has been in video games since its inception, WTF?! Fucking gamers here don't know left from right...

By copy I mean the characters very closely resembled Street fighter characters. I know the gameplay had some extra mechanics added, but looking at a side by side you can't deny that it was copying capcom art assets. Hence why they got sued over it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Come on, a lot of games did that. They were just the one they pick to make an example of, nothing more.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
ughh I wish I could find the article that goes off on street fighter copying fist of the north star and jojo characters

said something about cammy in a mask not being very original but they never were.
C9_c12.png

gule from jj zangief and rolent from ns...

the article I read had capcom not winning, makes sense as there are more than one fh?

still can't find it http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=172751072&postcount=1
had the exact same guile stroheim pic and tineye just splits he image. said something about 5+, I think as far as the articles blogname?

http://nlgo.net/archives/8949 hooray for support? I found it!

http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/ripofffolder/ripoffpage1.html ...so if their chars are ''ripoffs'' in the first place??? that kens last name story on page two is funny even if some are a bit of a stretch.

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/copyright/cases/capcom_v_data_east.html whats it say?! I am very much NAL.

back to topic? if the original art isn't horrible and you scrap it-its ruining old junk.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
lol, Capcom has always taken inspiration from a myriad of things, that isn't anything new to everyone...lol.