Is it sad that I'm envious of my brother's carpal tunnel surgery?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
...because of his 6-weeks off afterwards?

He was over on Sat and we were talking about it. I jokingly said I was envious of his having 6 weeks off paid after his surgery this morning.

I haven't had two consecutive weeks off in well over a decade. If my memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure the last time I had more than a week off was 2003 or so and that's because I was laid off.

If there was one massive complaint I have about being American, it's the completely lack of time off most of us get.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've got a company all-expenses paid for trip in Thailand for nearly a month. I've been reenacting the hotel scene from Apocalypse Now for about a week now in Bangkok.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Being gainfully employed is such a terrible burden.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I work everyday including weekends. I think i only had 4 days total off in the past 4years. Im making up for it for being a slacker in my teens & 20s.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Years on end without holiday is entirely your own choice. It's very easy to engineer some much needed time off. Change job, tell your new employer you finish your old job a couple of weeks after you actually do, for instance. If you can't afford to take two weeks unpaid holiday in your 40s you've made a right fucking mess of things.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Jesus Christ, you bunch of old pricks.

This thread started off as a partial joke as I thought my initial envy was rather humorous...but there is some truth to it. I said I was envious of his having 6 consecutive weeks off...which I am. I don't know a single person in my personal life who is allowed (or even could) take 6 weeks off...I don't personally know anyone who can take 2 weeks off in a row.

Then you all decided to become cock gobblers about it and come after me like somehow I'm unique in not getting much time off.

If you can swap jobs like you do underwear, good for fucking you, if your employer will agree to your taking off combined weeks at a time, also...good for fucking you. For the vast majority of Americans, we don't just get massive amount of time off in huge chunks....some of us get zip.

StevenK

10 Year Member

This thread started off as a partial joke as I thought my initial envy was rather humorous...but there is some truth to it. I said I was envious of his having 6 consecutive weeks off...which I am. I don't know a single person in my personal life who is allowed (or even could) take 6 weeks off...I don't personally know anyone who can take 2 weeks off in a row.

Then you all decided to become cock gobblers about it and come after me like somehow I'm unique in not getting much time off.

If you can swap jobs like you do underwear, good for fucking you, if your employer will agree to your taking off combined weeks at a time, also...good for fucking you. For the vast majority of Americans, we don't just get massive amount of time off in huge chunks....some of us get zip.

By choice.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
By choice.

*EDIT*

Honestly man, you can fuck off with that. You live in a country where people are entitled to around 28 days off/year...fucking choice, shove that comment up your ass. In the US, that number is zero.....ZERO.

Come here and try that choice shit...see where it gets you.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I get 30 days a year plus holidays, I thought that was normal? Also extra money for the main vacation and christmas (maybe not too common?).

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

This thread started off as a partial joke as I thought my initial envy was rather humorous...but there is some truth to it. I said I was envious of his having 6 consecutive weeks off...which I am. I don't know a single person in my personal life who is allowed (or even could) take 6 weeks off...I don't personally know anyone who can take 2 weeks off in a row..

You don't know anyone who is a teacher?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I get 20 days a year but now I've also got long service leave (6 weeks) up my sleeve as I recently hit 7 years in this job. I'm forced to take 2 weeks paid leave at the end of the year too.

I can't take it anymore! :envy: <-- smoke

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Fuck no it's a horrible surgery and it doesn't always work and sometimes makes things worse. Dude's not gonna be able to use his hands and wear braces for a few weeks. Don't be jelly bro, you wouldn't be able to rub your clit for quite a while.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
*EDIT*

Honestly man, you can fuck off with that. You live in a country where people are entitled to around 28 days off/year...fucking choice, shove that comment up your ass. In the US, that number is zero.....ZERO.

https://www.ubykotex.com/

StevenK

10 Year Member
*EDIT*

There are two threads you make about every 6 months. One of them is this thread, "I've never had any time off ever since for ever". The other is "It's time to chop my almost brand new truck in for an absolutely brand brand new truck, you won't believe the deal I got on it!"

I don't care how good the deal you get on your truck is, it's nowhere near as cheap as buying a $4k ten year old truck and driving it into the ground over another 10 years. If you did that you wouldn't have to live in fear of your job running away from you to the extent that you haven't dared to ask for time off in over a decade. You wouldn't need to work the extra weekend job that I seem to remember you mentioning.

You wouldn't have, presumably, never have been on vacation with your daughter, who I seem to remember is younger than the 16 years ago you last had a week off.

Do you know what I would do if I lived in a country where the work ethic was so fucking stupid that people have never been for a week away with their kids? I'd work for myself.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
There are two threads you make about every 6 months. One of them is this thread, "I've never had any time off ever since for ever". The other is "It's time to chop my almost brand new truck in for an absolutely brand brand new truck, you won't believe the deal I got on it!"

I don't care how good the deal you get on your truck is, it's nowhere near as cheap as buying a $4k ten year old truck and driving it into the ground over another 10 years. If you did that you wouldn't have to live in fear of your job running away from you to the extent that you haven't dared to ask for time off in over a decade. You wouldn't need to work the extra weekend job that I seem to remember you mentioning.

You wouldn't have, presumably, never have been on vacation with your daughter, who I seem to remember is younger than the 16 years ago you last had a week off.

Do you know what I would do if I lived in a country where the work ethic was so fucking stupid that people have never been for a week away with their kids? I'd work for myself.

damn son

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
*EDIT*

You don't have to live in the USA. It's your choice to move to a first world country.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Damn that is a lot of sick time all at once.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I've got carpal tunnel in both of my hands, but, it's relatively mild (occasional numbness). My doctor gave me metal-reinforced wrist braces to wear at night, while I sleep, to keep my wrists straight, and that helped a lot, although it isn't completely gone. Hopefully, I'll never need surgery.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
...because of his 6-weeks off afterwards?

He was over on Sat and we were talking about it. I jokingly said I was envious of his having 6 weeks off paid after his surgery this morning.

I haven't had two consecutive weeks off in well over a decade. If my memory serves me correctly, I'm pretty sure the last time I had more than a week off was 2003 or so and that's because I was laid off.

If there was one massive complaint I have about being American, it's the completely lack of time off most of us get.

Just take off.