Is Samurai Showdown II the best in the series?

IntvCruise

n00b
Hey guys, I was looking to get a us version cart of Samurai Showdown II but they're kind of expensive on eBay and there are only a few. Is it way better than the first game or would the first game be a good place to start? Also what does a copy of Samurai Showdown II go for these days? There's one for 450 on eBay with box and cart, would 300 be too much for it?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
If you just want to play it, the Japanese version of it would be the way to go. It isn't expensive for AES.
In my opinion, it would be best to start with the first game. Only the first game has Tam Tam, and only the second has Genjuro Kibagami.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Most people like II and IV the most but in truth 1-4 for sure all have their strong points. You could probably get all four as MVS carts for $450. I bought part II for $45 in 2019, according to my records.

I never liked part V at all. I should give it a try some day but I really hated it when it was new.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
If you feel that in the end you might end up buying the entire series, definitely start with 1, imho. As said above, it does have its strong points (like the music) and you are more likely to appreciate both the episode and the series that way.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
3 is the best but 2 is must own and the absolute epitome of the earlier Neo library. You'll likely only play the first if that's the only one in the series you have.

If you have to have home carts just buy Japanese. They're cheaper, have un-cropped cover art and the much better/uniform looking spines. $450 is ridiculous when you can just get the Japanese version for around $60 shipped.

IntvCruise

n00b
3 is the best but 2 is must own and the absolute epitome of the earlier Neo library. You'll likely only play the first if that's the only one in the series you have.

If you have to have home carts just buy Japanese. They're cheaper, have un-cropped cover art and the much better/uniform looking spines. $450 is ridiculous when you can just get the Japanese version for around $60 shipped.
That's what I was thinking, just skip 1 since I heard such good things about 2. Does 300 sound about right for an English copy just case and cart? Someone's offering me one for that.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
If the English packaging is so important for you you should at least offer 600 for one of the cheapest Japanese AES carts out there. :lolz:

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Yes it is, I remember getting that Samurai spirits title instantly when I got a Neo CD.
Part 4 would be my honorable mention.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
300 bucks and not even a manual included. Lmfao
So you'd rather entertain the idea of buying a copy of a fighting game with no moves manual at all, just so long as the cover art is in english. That's more important than learning to play the game.
SEEMS LOGICAL!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
So you'd rather entertain the idea of buying a copy of a fighting game with no moves manual at all, just so long as the cover art is in english. That's more important than learning to play the game.
SEEMS LOGICAL!
>play
come on now you're a 2004 user.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
That's what I was thinking, just skip 1 since I heard such good things about 2. Does 300 sound about right for an English copy just case and cart? Someone's offering me one for that.

Buying a Neo Geo game without a manual is just foolish. The game needs to be complete with box and manual otherwise it is worthless.

There is an English SS2 with a manual for only $700 which is a very good and fair price. I think you should buy it.

Don't listen to these guys telling you to buy a Japanese version for just $50. Fuck that shit. Clearly they forgot about Pearl Harbor. Unpatriotic scum.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I only ever bought one game without a manual and it was by pure mistake. I lost my house, my wife, my kids ran away, it rained for years on end and my shits were all runny and never solid. My life went to shit! NEVER BUY GAMES WITHOUT MANUALS!!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Fuck, 2 is great, but there would be no 2 without 1. Maybe you come in all late like and it just doesn't matter anymore. But if you love the series, you need 1 for those original backrounds, some of the characters that where changed up after the first (Wan Fu, Sword for pillar) or didn't make it (Tam for Cham).
Also 1 is where it started, shows what was going on at the time in the scene, was brazen, fresh, trailblazing. 2 is amazing yes.
I also think 3 is best as mentioned. But the first 2 are essential, 1 should not be overlooked (I would say the same about ff and aof but I know that's just me)

IntvCruise

n00b
SEEMS LOGICAL!
What would you pay?

IntvCruise

n00b
Buying a Neo Geo game without a manual is just foolish. The game needs to be complete with box and manual otherwise it is worthless.

There is an English SS2 with a manual for only $700 which is a very good and fair price. I think you should buy it.

Don't listen to these guys telling you to buy a Japanese version for just $50. Fuck that shit. Clearly they forgot about Pearl Harbor. Unpatriotic scum.

Damn right, all the soy boys on here forget what it took to plant the flag. Fuck the japanese versions AMERICA ONLY BABY WOOO!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The fact is it has probably the largest print of any Neo game. The US one is only expensive because people are stupid and collectards seem to prefer US stuff nowadays instead of the superior Japanese original. The fact remains that anywhere near $300 is insane. It should be the same price as the Japanese period. Odds are it'll be the Japanese one anyways just with US insert, manual with a US sticker over the original Japanese since a bunch were re-packaged for the US. Plus it'll have the horribly embarrassing Dog Tag logo.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
One of the most common AES games, as long as you don't get the US one.